The Great Central Railway opened their new warehouse on Holmes Yard on 8 July 1907 but it became surplus to requirements after the Railway Grouping in 1923.
At that time, along with the Great Eastern and the Great Northern Railways in the City they all became part of the London and North Eastern Railway (LNER).
The LNER decided to concentrate their sack hire service to farmers at four locations, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, York and Lincoln and this became the Lincoln sack depot.
It closed in 1963, becoming for some years a builders' merchant, in which guise it is seen here.
It survives today but now as the Library of the University of Lincoln which occupies the site of the former Holmes goods yard.
Peter Grey Archive, c.1980