Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Luddington
 
Luddington, Roman Catholic Chapel
Luddington, Roman Catholic Chapel
Luddington, Roman Catholic Chapel

The church was built in 1877 to serve the population of poor and mainly Irish agricultural workers who arrived in the Isle of Axholme in the wake of the potato famine in the 1840s.

It was dedicated to St Joseph and St Dymphna by the Norbertines, who had established themselves at nearby Crowle in 1872.

Luddington, Roman Catholic, St Joseph, St Dymphna, Irish
Luddington, St Oswald
Luddington, St Oswald
Luddington, St Oswald

St Oswald’s stands half a mile from the present village on the site of an earlier church.

Built in 1855 in Early English style, its tall tower with its broach spire is a landmark in the surrounding flat countryside.

September 2010

Luddington, St Oswald church
Luddington, St Oswald
Luddington, St Oswald
Luddington, St Oswald

The tower of St Oswald's has angle buttresses - architectural features rather than purely structural ones.

August 2015

Luddington, St Oswald church
Luddington, St Oswald
Luddington, St Oswald
Luddington, St Oswald

St Oswald's has lancet windows in the Early English style.

August 2015

Luddington, St Oswald church
Luddington, St Oswald
Luddington, St Oswald
Luddington, St Oswald
August 2015
Luddington, St Oswald church
Luddington, St Oswald
Luddington, St Oswald
Luddington, St Oswald
August 2015
Luddington, St Oswald church