Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Market Rasen
 
Market Rasen, Celebrations
Market Rasen, Celebrations
Market Rasen, Celebrations

Market Rasen, celebrations, Market Place
Market Rasen, Methodist Chapel
Market Rasen, Methodist Chapel
Market Rasen, Methodist Chapel

The Methodist Church at Market Rasen was built in 1863.

The interior is largely unchanged, and still retains its original numbered box pews, a double-decker pulpit and a beautiful oval gallery.


Frank Robinson, 2010

Market Rasen, Methodist Church,
Market Rasen, Methodist Chapel
Market Rasen, Methodist Chapel
Market Rasen, Methodist Chapel

The north facade of the chapel, with its ikmpressive entrance, looks directly down Union Street.

October 2014

Market Rasen, Methodist chapel
Market Rasen, Methodist Chapel
Market Rasen, Methodist Chapel
Market Rasen, Methodist Chapel

This hugely impressive building was designed by William Botterill of Hull and opened in 1862.

A Sunday School building was added to the rear in 1891.

The chapel in Grade II* listed.

October 2014
Market Rasen, Methodist chapel
Market Rasen, Methodist Chapel
Market Rasen, Methodist Chapel
Market Rasen, Methodist Chapel

A memorable feature of this chapel is the imposing portico with four grand Ionic columns over the entrance.

October 2014

Market Rasen, Methodist chapel, ionic
Market Rasen, Queen Street
Market Rasen, Queen Street
Market Rasen, Queen Street

Queen Street, the main shopping street in the centre of Market Rasen, for a long time carried not only the A631 Gainsborough-Louth traffic but also that on the A46 between Lincoln and Grimsby.

Here, in a pre-war photograph, looking west towards Louth, an unusual road sign indicates the left turn down George Street towards Caistor, Brigg and Grimsby. (The A46 now by-passes the town.)

Undated postcard

Market Rasen, Queen Street,
Market Rasen, Railway Station
Market Rasen, Railway Station
Market Rasen, Railway Station

The fast train from Lincoln arriving at Market Rasen station in 1887 or 1888.

The locomotive in the photo is a Manchester Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway class 23, an 0-6-0.

This was shortly before interlocking block signalling was installed on this line.


Courtesy Chris Padley

Market Rasen, railway station, train,
Market Rasen, St Thomas
Market Rasen, St Thomas
Market Rasen, St Thomas

St Thomas’s has a weather-beaten 15th century ironstone tower, but much of the rest of the church dates from James Fowler’s restoration of 1862.

The nave arcades, though, are in part medieval, and the south doorway is late Norman.

November 2012

Market Rasen, St Thomas, James Fowler
Market Rasen, Turnpike Milestone
Market Rasen, Turnpike Milestone
Market Rasen, Turnpike Milestone

There are several former turnpike milestones in Lincolnshire.

All made of stone and rather crudely lettered - along the A631 near Market Rasen (TF 117888, TF 134885, TF 149885, TF 165883, TF 181887).

This road was the former Louth-Bawtry turnpike, set up in 1765.

Ken Redmore, 2004

Market Rasen, milestone, turnpike, A631,