Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Martin by Timberland
 
Martin by Timberland, Car Dyke
Martin by Timberland, Car Dyke
Martin by Timberland, Car Dyke

Modern artwork next to the Car Dyke showing a Roman Surveyor using a groma.

"The Car Dyke was, and to a large extent still is, a 85 miles (137 km)-long ditch which runs along the western edge of the Fens in eastern England.

It is generally accepted as being of Roman age and, for many centuries, to have been taken as marking the western edge of the Fens"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_Dyke  

DB 7 May 2019

Martin by Timberland, Car Dyke
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity

Holy Trinity dates from 1874 and was designed by T H Wyatt.

This substantial church, built of rock-faced limestone, has nave, chancel and transepts, with lancet windows throughout.

August 2013

Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, T H Wyatt, C Hodgson Fowler
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity

The SW tower of Holy Trinity was added by C.Hodgson Fowler in 1911.

The nave and chancel had been built by T H Wyatt in 1874.

August 2013

Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity church, C Hodgson Fowler, T H Wyatt
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity

The view of Holy Trinity from the north makes clear the original design by Wyatt which excluded the tower at the south-west corner.

August 2013

Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity church
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, Chancel
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, Chancel
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, Chancel

Fittings presumably date from 1876 when the church was built although the organ was not installed until 1891.

DB 7 May 2019

Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, Church, Chancel
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, Chancel
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, Chancel
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, Chancel

More detailed view of the sanctuary.

DB 7 May 2019

Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, Church, Chancel
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, Chancel, East Window
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, Chancel, East Window
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, Chancel, East Window

Depicting the Crucifixion and Descent from the Cross.

DB 7 May 2019

Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, Church, stained glass
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, Chancel, Organ
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, Chancel, Organ
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, Chancel, Organ

Installed 1891. 

Maker's plate reads "PETER CONACHER & CO., SPRINGWOOD, HUDDERSFIELD"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conacher_and_Co  

DB 7 May 2019

Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, Church, organ
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, Nave
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, Nave
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, Nave

Looking east towards the chancel.

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"The church of the Holy Trinity, erected in 1876-8 on a site given by the Rev. J. W. King B.D. at a cost of £3000, from designs by Mr. T.H.Wyatt, of London, is a building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts, south porch, and a tower erected in 1911 at a cost of £650:

it has 237, sittings.

The register dates from the year 1876.

The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £210, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Lincoln, and held since 1916 by the Rev. Howard Charles Gibbons Robertson.

The vicarage was erected in 1912 on the site given by Capt. Nevill Henry Reeve-King"

DB 7 May 2019

Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, Church, nave
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, Nave
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, Nave
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, Nave

Looking west towards the font.

"Wooden scissor braced roof. Wooden pews"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1205493 

DB 7 May 2019

Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, Church, nave
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, Nave, Font
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, Nave, Font
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, Nave, Font

"fine stone font"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1205493 

Church built 1876.

DB 7 May 2019

Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, Church, font
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, Nave, Pulpit
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, Nave, Pulpit
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, Nave, Pulpit

Wooden pulpit presumably dating to 1876 when the church was built.

DB 7 May 2019

Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, Church, Pulpit
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, Nave, Window
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, Nave, Window
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, Nave, Window

North facing window at the west end of the nave.

In memory of James William Firth, headmaster of the village school and church organist d.1917. 

DB 7 May 2019

Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, Church, stained glass
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, RAF Memorial
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, RAF Memorial
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, RAF Memorial

In memory of 106 Bomber Squadron based at RAF Metheringham.

DB 7 May 2019

Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, Church, 106 Squadron RAF, memorial
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, RAF Memorial
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, RAF Memorial
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, RAF Memorial

The text states :-

"This Memorial to No. 5 Bomber Group was made and presented In 1991 by Mrs Peggy Hayles, who served as a WAAF Sergeant at RAF Metheringham and who was Confirmed at Holy Trinity, Martin. 

The Memorial was Dedicated at the 106 Squadron Reunion Service in July 1991. 

No. 5 Bomber Group, of which RAF Metheringham was a principal Station, controlled up to 12 Stations, mainly flying Lancasters. The Group made 70,357 sorties and lost nearly 2,000 aircraft with 11,990 Aircrew killed or missing. 

The perspex hangers for this Memorial are made from pieces of perspex from a ,Lancaster III, No. PB533, of 83 Pathfinder Squadron, RAF Coningsby. The aircraft was diverted on return from operations, due to fog, to RAF Metheringham which had Just installed FIDO (Fog Intensive Dispersal Of). Despite the Ignition of the FIDO pipes the aircraft overshot and crashed on the North West Dispersal area and into Blankney Woods with no survivors"

DB 7 May 2019 


Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, Church, 106 Squadron RAF, memorial
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, War Memorial
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, War Memorial
Martin by Timberland, Holy Trinity, War Memorial

The war memorial in Holy Trinity churchyard was unveiled by Capt. Reginald Herbert Spooner of the Manor House, Metheringham on 9 April 1921.

It records 14 who died in the First World War and 2 who died in the Second.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1439202 

DB 5 April 2018

Martin by Timberland, War Memorial
Martin by Timberland, Manor House
Martin by Timberland, Manor House
Martin by Timberland, Manor House

Late Georgian c1780.

DB 18 April 2018

Martin by Timberland, Manor House
Martin by Timberland, Mrs Mary King's School
Martin by Timberland, Mrs Mary King's School
Martin by Timberland, Mrs Mary King's School

Kelley's Directory of Lincolnshire 1876 states :-

"A school was founded and endowed with £65 yearly by Mrs. Mary King, in 1753 for the free education of certain poor children, to be nominated by the vicar of Timberland : it was enlarged in 1874 by the Rev. J.W. King"

DB 9 June 2018

Martin by Timberland, School, Mary King
Martin by Timberland, Mrs Mary King's School
Martin by Timberland, Mrs Mary King's School
Martin by Timberland, Mrs Mary King's School

Inscription states that the school was rebuilt in 1842.

Subsequently enlarged by Rev. John William King in 1874. 

DB 9 June 2018 

 

Martin by Timberland, School, Mary King, John William King
Martin by Timberland, Primitive Methodist Chapel 1837, Mill Lane
Martin by Timberland, Primitive Methodist Chapel 1837, Mill Lane
Martin by Timberland, Primitive Methodist Chapel 1837, Mill Lane

In "A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Sleaford Circuit Past And Present” prepared by Colin Shepherdson & Peter Robinson June 1996 it is stated that :-

"The first chapel was built in Mill Street in 1837.

It was replaced by the High Street chapel in 1879 and was used for a few years as a schoolroom.

It was subsequently convened in to, and is now in use as, a dwelling house called "Chapel House" 

A report " Nonconformist Chapels in North Kesteven" states

"the former Primitive chapel in Mill Lane in Martin had a pedimented raised gable added when the earlier building of 1837 was raised and remodelled in 1858" 

https://www.lincstothepast.com/Download/1586 

DB 5 April 2018

Martin by Timberland, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Martin by Timberland, Primitive Methodist Chapel 1879, High Street
Martin by Timberland, Primitive Methodist Chapel 1879, High Street
Martin by Timberland, Primitive Methodist Chapel 1879, High Street

In "A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Sleaford Circuit Past And Present” prepared by Colin Shepherdson & Peter Robinson June 1996 it is stated that :-

"The foundation stone for the High Street chapel was laid on the 10.10.1878 and the chapel opened in 1879.

The foundation stone for the new Sunday school was laid on the 13 10 1887.

The chapel closed in 1988 and the buildings are now in commercial use by Majestic Crystal Ltd" 

https://www.majesticcrystal.co.uk 

DB 5 April 2018

Martin by Timberland, Methodist, Chapel, Majestic Crystal
Martin by Timberland, RAF Metheringham, 106 Squadron Memorial Garden
Martin by Timberland, RAF Metheringham, 106 Squadron Memorial Garden
Martin by Timberland, RAF Metheringham, 106 Squadron Memorial Garden

Memorial Garden with Dakota KG651 in the background. 

RAF Metheringham (1943-1946) was largely located in the adjoining parish of Martin. 

DB 28 May 2018

Martin by Timberland, RAF Metheringham, 106 Squadron Memorial Garden
Martin by Timberland, RAF Metheringham, Gymnasium / Churches
Martin by Timberland, RAF Metheringham, Gymnasium / Churches
Martin by Timberland, RAF Metheringham, Gymnasium / Churches

Local signage at the Metheringham Airfield Visitor Centre states :-

"The original Gymnasium which was also used as a Church (C of E) and a Social Building. 

The annexe to the left of the building is the smaller Roman Catholic Church. 

The building was renovated in 2006 and the RC Church is now used as a 1940s Schoolroom" 

RAF Metheringham (1943-1946) was largely located in the adjoining parish of Martin.

DB 22 April 2019 

Martin by Timberland, RAF Metheringham, Airfield Visitor Centre
Martin by Timberland, RAF Metheringham, Standby Generator Set House
Martin by Timberland, RAF Metheringham, Standby Generator Set House
Martin by Timberland, RAF Metheringham, Standby Generator Set House

RAF Metheringham (1943-1946) was largely located in the adjoining parish of Martin.

DB 28 May 2018

Martin by Timberland, RAF Metheringham, Standby Generator Set House
Martin by Timberland, RAF Metheringham, Stanton Air Raid Shelter
Martin by Timberland, RAF Metheringham, Stanton Air Raid Shelter
Martin by Timberland, RAF Metheringham, Stanton Air Raid Shelter

"A segment shelter manufactured by the Stanton Ironworks, Ilkeston, Derbyshire"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_raid_shelter#Stanton_shelters 

This in situ example preserved at the Metheringham Airfield Visitor Centre, Westmoor Farm, Martin Moor.

https://metheringhamairfieldmuseum.co.uk  

RAF Metheringham (1943-1946) was largely located in the adjoining parish of Martin.

DB 22 April 2019

Martin by Timberland, RAF Metheringham, Airfield Visitor Centre, Stanton Air Raid Shelter
Martin by Timberland, The Royal Oak
Martin by Timberland, The Royal Oak
Martin by Timberland, The Royal Oak

There is no mention of The Royal Oak in Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1876 however the following are mentioned :-

Chas Auckland - Chaplin Arms & Farmer
William Caudron - Beer Retailer
Charles Falkinder - Red Lion

In Kelly's 1930 Directory:

Joseph Guymer - Red Lion
Thomas Sleaford - beer retailer
(no mention of Chaplin Arms, nor Royal Oak)

DB 5 April 2018

Martin by Timberland, The Royal Oak, Chaplin Arms, Red Lion, Beer, Auckland, Caudron, Falkinder
Martin by Timberland, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, High Street
Martin by Timberland, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, High Street
Martin by Timberland, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, High Street

In "A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Sleaford Circuit Past And Present” prepared by Colin Shepherdson & Peter Robinson June 1996 it is stated that :-

"i) The first chapel was erected in 1809.

ii) A second chapel was built in 1832.

iii) The third chapel, in High Street, was erected in 1860 and closed in 1936. It is now used as a village hall"

See also :-

https://www.lincstothepast.com/Download/1586 

DB 5 April 2018

Martin by Timberland, Wesleyan chapel, Church Hall
Martin Dales, Kings Arms
Martin Dales, Kings Arms
Martin Dales, Kings Arms

Kings Arms Inn shown on Ordnance Survey 6" map published 1888.

Thomas Kent "King's Arms, Witham bank" listed as a commercial resident in Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1876.

In Kelly's 1930 Directory Harry Green is recorded as the licencee at the King's Arms.

DB 5 April 2018

Martin Dales, Kings Arms, Inn, Thomas Kent
Martin Dales, War Memorial & St Hugh's Church Hall
Martin Dales, War Memorial & St Hugh's Church Hall
Martin Dales, War Memorial & St Hugh's Church Hall

"The memorial was unveiled in March 1920 by Mrs E Crowden, who had also donated the site on which the memorial originally stood.

The dedication ceremony began with a service at St Hugh’s Mission Church, conducted by the Rev HCG Robertson after which the congregation walked in procession to the site on the north side of Martin Dales Drove.

At a later date, c1967, the memorial was moved a short distance to the south of the road, outside the village hall" 

http://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1449969 

Saint Hugh's iron mission church, in Martin Dales, was erected 1891 as a Chapel of Ease.

Church Hall visible behind the war memorial. Saint Hugh's church demolished presumably in 1960s (?) around the same time the war memorial was moved to make way for the new Kirkstead Bridge.

DB 5 April 2018

Martin Dales, Mrs E Crowden, Rev HCG Robertson, Kirkstead Bridge, War Memorial, Church Hall