Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Metheringham
 
Metheringham, Manor House
Metheringham, Manor House
Metheringham, Manor House

This house, with its Greek cross plan with stepped gables, was built for the Sir Thomas Skipworth in the seventeenth century.

It was badly damaged by fire in the nineteenth century.

It was twice occupied by agents of Henry Chaplin of nearby Blankney.

Hugh D Martineau c.1980

Metheringham, Manor house, Greek Cross, Skipworth
Metheringham, Methodist Chapel
Metheringham, Methodist Chapel
Metheringham, Methodist Chapel

This chapel opened in May 1908 and is still in use. It was the fourth Wesleyan Methodist chapel to be built in the village.

March 2016

Metheringham, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Metheringham, RAF Metheringham, Water Tower
Metheringham, RAF Metheringham, Water Tower
Metheringham, RAF Metheringham, Water Tower

The water tower at RAF Metheringham (TF 102598).

The airfield was the home to 106 Bomber Squadron from 1943 to the end of the war.

Over 200 operations flew from here and 57 Lancaster bombers were lost.

There is a small visitor centre on the site.

Peter Stevenson

Metheringham, RAF, water tower,
Metheringham, Railway Control Building
Metheringham, Railway Control Building
Metheringham, Railway Control Building

Alongside Metheringham station was a small brick building with the remnants of heavy steel shutters around its windows.

It was built during World War II as an emergency railway control building.

If the control office at Lincoln station ten miles away had been knocked out by enemy bombing then the trains and traffic would have been controlled from here.

It was one of 20 such buildings in the country and was a rare survivor, having been used as a railway store for almost 70 years until it was demolished in 2011.


Stewart Squires, 2010

Metheringham, railway control,
Metheringham, St Wilfrid
Metheringham, St Wilfrid
Metheringham, St Wilfrid

A fire of 1599 destroyed much of Metheringham village, and badly damaged St Wilfred’s church.

By 1601, the nave was rebuilt, with Tuscan columns now supporting the original 13th century arches.  The clerestory dates from this time also.

Further alterations were carried out in the 19th century, when the chancel was extended, and the north aisle rebuilt.

Undated postcard

Metheringham, St Wilfrid Church, Tuscan columns, fire
Metheringham, St Wilfrid
Metheringham, St Wilfrid
Metheringham, St Wilfrid

The tower of St Wilfrid's is unbuttressed.

The clerestory, with its two-light windows, dates from c.1600.

March 2016

Metheringham, St Wilfrid church
Metheringham, St Wilfrid
Metheringham, St Wilfrid
Metheringham, St Wilfrid

A view of St Wilfrid's from the south-east.

March 2016

Metheringham, St Wilfrid church
Metheringham, St Wilfrid
Metheringham, St Wilfrid
Metheringham, St Wilfrid

The nave of St Wilfrid's was restored in 1858-59 and the north aisle added in 1870.

March 2016

Metheringham, St Wilfrid church
Metheringham, St Wilfrid
Metheringham, St Wilfrid
Metheringham, St Wilfrid

The east window is ninetheenth-century in the style of the Decorated period.

The original east window has been repositioned in the south wall of the chancel (to the left in this photo).

March 2016

Metheringham, St Wilfrid church
Metheringham, Street Scene
Metheringham, Street Scene
Metheringham, Street Scene

Known to locals as ‘Meg’, Metheringham is a large village some 9 miles south of Lincoln.

The Blankney Hunt was founded in 1871 when it split away from the old Burton Foxhounds.

undated postcard

Metheringham, Blankney Hunt
Townsend, Agricultural Engineers
Townsend, Agricultural Engineers
Townsend, Agricultural Engineers

Alfred Cooling had been a dealer in a wide range of products - glass, chine, oil lamps, paperhanging, washing machines - as well as agricultural implements.

His business was taken over by Frederick Townsend in 1896 who, in 1913, was joined later by his son. They were agricultural implement agents and dealers until the Second World War.

This photo show the firm's stand at the 1898 County Show.

 

Metheringham, Townsend
Townsend, Agricultural Engineers
Townsend, Agricultural Engineers
Townsend, Agricultural Engineers
Townsend's stand at the 1898 County Show featured chaff cutters, weighing machines, a plough and a binder.
Metheringham, Townsend,