Kelly's Directory 1913 reads :-
"There were formerly two churches here, St. Peter's, built by the monks of Tupholme Abbey, and St. Paul's belonging to Drax priory: this latter having become dilapidated, was pulled down in 1860, but the churchyard remains.
The church of St. Peter is a building of stone in the Norman, Earlier English and Early Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and a western tower with embattled parapet and pinnacles containing 3 bells:
the church was thoroughly restored in 1860, when the north aisle was rebuilt, the tower strengthened and the fabric generally repaired:
in the aisle is a Decorated window, formerly in St. Paul's church, and in the chancel is the effigy of a priest, vested and wearing a hood, and holding a chalice : this was also formerly in St. Paul's, and appears to be 14th century work:
the total cost of the repairs, carried out under the direction of Messrs. Bellamy and Hardy architects, of Lincoln, was £1,500 :
there are 324 sittings"
DB 8 May 2022