Kelly's Directory 1930 has :-
"The church of St. Paul, erected in 1891 in place of the former church built in 1846, is an edifice of stone in the Early English style, from the designs of Messrs. J. T. Micklethwait F.S.A. and Somers Clarke F.S.A. architects, of Westminster, the cost, amounting to £12,000, being mainly defrayed by Sir H. B. Bacon bart. ;
it consists of chancel with chapel of St. Hugh on the south side, nave of five bays, aisles, transepts and the former western tower, an embattled structure containing one bell :
a richly carved oak screen with great rood and attendant figures separates the chancel from the nave : the font is of Frosterley marble, and the benches, pulpit, lectern and choir stalls of oak :
there are eight stained windows, executed from designs by Sir E. Burne-Jones R.A. : the east window is a memorial to Elizabeth (Beckett), wife of the late Sir Henry Hickman Bacon bart. (she d. 29 Nov. 1885); to Edmund Bacon esq. lieut. the King's Royal Rifles, d. 13 Aug. 1886, and to Louisa Bacon, d. 2 Mar. 1882, and there are others to Henry Bacon Hickman, who gave the site of the church ; Samuel Sandars and Jane Sandars, who laid the foundation stone of the church in 1845 ; and to the Rev. G. W. banks, vicar from 1880-1913 ; Sir Henry Hickman Bacon hart. d. 1872; John Edward Sandars, d. 1890; to his widow, Eliza Anna Sandars, d. 2 July, 1896, and to Lieut. Cyril German banks, who was killed 31 May, 1900, during the South African war ; there is also a brass to the same officer, erected by the officers of the Manchester Regiment: on the west wall is a brass tablet, erected in 1922, in memory of the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18:
the church will seat 450 persons"
DB 15 May 2022