Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Normanby by Spital
 
Normanby by Spital, Free Methodist Chapel
Normanby by Spital, Free Methodist Chapel
Normanby by Spital, Free Methodist Chapel

This large chapel at the corner of Chapel Lane was built for the Free Methodists in 1864 and later used by United Methodists.

It is Grade II listed and has been converted into a dwelling.

June 2017

Normanby By Spital, Free Methodist Chapel
Normanby by Spital, Methodist Chapel
Normanby by Spital, Methodist Chapel
Normanby by Spital, Methodist Chapel

The former Non-Conformist Chapel in Front Street was built in 1813 and enlarged in 1825 and 1845. By 1856 it belonged to the Free Methodists; it closed in 1862.

Other chapels were built in the village but date stones on this one notes 1861 and 1867. There lies the mystery.

Pearl Wheatley, 2011

Normanby By Spital, Free Methodist Chapel
Normanby by Spital, Primary School
Normanby by Spital, Primary School
Normanby by Spital, Primary School

The school and school house at Normanby by Spital are in Main Street.

The inscription above a window notes the school was built in 1878 for £1,400, but it was not opened until March 1879.

The ventilator in the roof was to let out the fumes from the stove.

The previous school was on land given by Mrs. Mary Dunn, widow of the rector.

Pearl Wheatley, 2011

Normanby By Spital, school, Dunn,
Normanby by Spital, Primary School
Normanby by Spital, Primary School
Normanby by Spital, Primary School
Undated postcard.
Normanby By Spital, school
Normanby by Spital, Primary School
Normanby by Spital, Primary School
Normanby by Spital, Primary School

View of the school from the south, with the school house (now housing the office and staffroom) in the foreground.

June 2017

Normanby By Spital,
Normanby by Spital, Primary School
Normanby by Spital, Primary School
Normanby by Spital, Primary School

Modern view of the east elevation of the classroonm block.

June 2017

Normanby By Spital,
Normanby by Spital, St Peter
Normanby by Spital, St Peter
Normanby by Spital, St Peter

St. Peter's church, Normanby-by-Spital, has a Norman tower and good north arcade.

The south arcade is Early English; the clerestory is Perpendicular.

The church is redundant and is now cared for by the Churches Conservation Trust.


Mark Acton, 2008

Normanby By Spital, St Peter, Churches Conservation Trust,
Normanby by Spital, St Peter
Normanby by Spital, St Peter
Normanby by Spital, St Peter

St. Peter's is redundant but remains a jigsaw for all church enthusiasts.

Originally, St Peter's was built about 1200 and has alterations dating from the 13th, 14th and 15th centuries and a final restoration in 1890.

Remnants of the various periods large and small - are all over it.


Pearl Wheatley, 2011

Normanby By Spital, St Peter,