Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Raithby by Spilsby
 
Raithby by Spilsby, Holy Trinity
Raithby by Spilsby, Holy Trinity
Raithby by Spilsby, Holy Trinity

The medieval church was largely rebuilt by G.G.Scott Junior in 1873. Much of the window tracery and the porch are of this date.

The chancel was enlarged by Temple Moore in 1886 and Hodgson Fowler renewed the greenstone tower in 1895.

September 2015

Raithby By Spilsby, Holy Trinity church, G G Scott, Hodgson Fowler, Temple Moore
Raithby by Spilsby, Holy Trinity, churchyard cross
Raithby by Spilsby, Holy Trinity, churchyard cross
Raithby by Spilsby, Holy Trinity, churchyard cross

The 14th century churchyard cross was restored in 1903.

There are gabled and crocketed carved panels on top, surmounted by a cross.

September 2015

Raithby By Spilsby, Holy Trinity, churchyard cross
Raithby by Spilsby, Holy Trinity, interior
Raithby by Spilsby, Holy Trinity, interior
Raithby by Spilsby, Holy Trinity, interior

The south arcade, recut by G.G.Scott,  may be 12th century in origin.

Much of the decoration in the chancel, seen here, is the work of Temple Moore in 1886.

September 2015

Raithby By Spilsby, Holy Trinity church, interior, G G Scott, Temple Moore
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel

The entrance to Raithby Chapel. It is on the second floor above what were the stables for Raithby Hall.

July 2012

Raithby By Spilsby, Methodist Chapel
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel

View of Raithby Chapel from the south-east andf the drive to Raithby Hall.

The chapel is on the first floor; stabling for horses was kept on the ground floor of the building

July 2012

Raithby By Spilsby, Methodist Chapel
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel

This is one of the most important chapels in Methodism and the oldest in Lincolnshire.

John Wesley himself opened the chapel above the stables of Raithby Hall in 1779.

It is a Grade I listed building.

July 2012


Raithby By Spilsby, Methodist Chapel, John Wesley, stables
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel

The sign board above the door of Raithby Chapel.

July 2012

Raithby By Spilsby, Methodist Chapel
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel

The interior of Raithby Chapel showing the pulpit and communion area.

July 2012

Raithby By Spilsby, Methodist Chapel