Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Raithby cum Maltby
 
Raithby cum Maltby, St Peter
Raithby cum Maltby, St Peter
Raithby cum Maltby, St Peter

St Peterís was rebuilt by W A Nicholson in 1839, retaining the 13th century north arcade.

The church, built of cement rendered brick, has ornate pinnacles and battlements, flowing tracery and an eastern apse.

March 2013

Raithby cum Maltby, St Peter, W A Nicholson
Raithby cum Maltby, St Peter
Raithby cum Maltby, St Peter
Raithby cum Maltby, St Peter

W A Nicholson, who rebuilt St Peter's in 1839, was also responsible for the churches at nearby Biscathorpe and Haugham.

The ornate pinnacles and battlements are a prominent feature of St Peter's as they are at the other two churches.

March 2013

Raithby cum Maltby, St Peter
Raithby cum Maltby, St Peter, Chancel
Raithby cum Maltby, St Peter, Chancel
Raithby cum Maltby, St Peter, Chancel

The chancel - within a polygonal apse - was built by Nicholson in 1839.

The stained glass is of the same date.

March 2013

Raithby cum Maltby, St Peter
Raithby cum Maltby, St Peter, Font
Raithby cum Maltby, St Peter, Font
Raithby cum Maltby, St Peter, Font

The octagonal font at St Peter's is from the Decorated period.

It is supported by a cluster of filleted shafts and has panels with quatrefoils around the bowl.

March 2013

Raithby cum Maltby, St Peter, font
Raithby cum Maltby, St Peter, glass
Raithby cum Maltby, St Peter, glass
Raithby cum Maltby, St Peter, glass

Stained glass panel on the north side of the nave.

March 2013

Raithby cum Maltby, St Peter, glass
Raithby cum Maltby, St Peter, Interior
Raithby cum Maltby, St Peter, Interior
Raithby cum Maltby, St Peter, Interior

The interior of St Peter's.  On the left is the north arcade with 13th century octagonal piers and double-chamfered arches.

March 2013

Raithby cum Maltby, St Peter, interior
Raithby cum Maltby, Water Pump
Raithby cum Maltby, Water Pump
Raithby cum Maltby, Water Pump

A simple lift pump, nine feet high, is located close to the highway opposite St Peter's church in Raithby.

Located alongside a stream, it would have been a source of clean potable water for local agricultural use.

March 2013

Raithby cum Maltby, water pump
Raithby cum Maltby, Water Pump
Raithby cum Maltby, Water Pump
Raithby cum Maltby, Water Pump

The pump handle (now missing) moved the pivoted lever which was attached to the pump shaft, thus raising water to the high-level spout.

Water was pumped into a water cart and then taken to a farmstead for animals or possibly for use in a steam engine at threshing time.

March 2013

Raithby cum Maltby, water pump