Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Rand
 
Rand, St Oswald
Rand, St Oswald
Rand, St Oswald

The broad tower of St Oswald's is 14th century.

Both nave and chancel were rebuilt in the nineteenth century, but older features have been re-used, such as the chancel arch which is 13th century.

The church contains an unusual number of monuments, dating from c1200 to the 17th century.

May 2010 

Rand, St Oswald
Rand, St Oswald
Rand, St Oswald
Rand, St Oswald

The nave of St Oswald's was rebuilt in the 1820s.

The simple straight-headed windows in Perpendicular style are from this period of reconstruction.

July 2015

Rand, St Oswald church
Rand, St Oswald
Rand, St Oswald
Rand, St Oswald

The chancel of St Oswald's was rebuilt in 1862 by R J Withers, though the hood mould above the east window probably dates from the fourteenth century.

July 2015

Rand, St Oswald church, R J Withers
Rand, St Oswald
Rand, St Oswald
Rand, St Oswald

This view from the north-west of St Oswald's shows the broad and solid tower.

The bell openings are from the Decorated period.  There is a label-stop by the west window formed as the head of a monster - Norman in date.

July 2015

Rand, St Oswald church
Rand, St Oswald, window
Rand, St Oswald, window
Rand, St Oswald, window

This blocked window in Perpendicular style is at the west end of the south wall of the chancel.

Presumably it was retained in position by Withers at the time of the 1862 restoration.

July 2015

Rand, St Oswald, window