Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Riby
 
Riby Grove
Riby Grove
Riby Grove

This Palladian mansion, as with many country houses, was extended in the Victorian period. Its architectural history is little known.

The owners of the house from the 17th century include, in succession, Husseys, Tomlines and Pretymans.

The house was sold by the Pretymans in the 1930s and demolished soon after.

More details about this house and its owners can be found in T R Leach and R Pacey's book, 'Lost Lincolnshire Country Houses: Volume 1', published by SLHA.  Buy a copy.

Riby, Grove, Hussey, Tomline, Pretyman
Riby, St Edmund
Riby, St Edmund
Riby, St Edmund

St Edmundís, Riby, was largely rebuilt by Benjamin Ferrey in 1868, though the early fourteenth-century crossing and Perpendicular tower survive.

There are monuments and hatchments to the Tomline and Pretyman families.

Mark Acton , 2014

Riby, St Edmund church, Benjamin Ferrey, Tomline, Pretyman
Riby, St Edmund
Riby, St Edmund
Riby, St Edmund

This cruciform church, largely reconstructed by Ferrey in 1868, is of unusual rubble stone construction.

This view is from the north-west.

July 2014

Riby, St Edmund church
Riby, St Edmund
Riby, St Edmund
Riby, St Edmund

View of St Edmund's church from the south-west.

July 2014

Riby, St Edmund church
Riby, St Edmund
Riby, St Edmund
Riby, St Edmund

View of the chancel and south transept of St Edmund's church.

July 2014

Riby, St Edmund church
Riby, St Edmund, doorway
Riby, St Edmund, doorway
Riby, St Edmund, doorway

The outline of an early doorway retained in the north wall of the nave.

July 2014

 

Riby, St Edmund church, doorway