Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Riseholme
 
Riseholme Hall
Riseholme Hall
Riseholme Hall

Riseholme Hall was built by the Chaplin family in 1744.

Purchased by the Church Commissioners in 1840, the Hall was restyled by the architect William Rainton and until the late nineteenth century was the Palace of the Bishop of Lincoln.

After World War 2, the Hall and estate became an agricultural college, now a Campus of the University of Lincoln.

In July 2012, the Further Education provision at Riseholme College transferred to Bishop Burton College.

See: www.lincoln.ac.uk/home/riseholmecollege/ourcampus/history

Riseholme, Hall, Bishop's Palace, William Rainton, agricultural college
Riseholme, St Mary
Riseholme, St Mary
Riseholme, St Mary

St Mary’s was built in 1850 by S.S.Teulon for the then Bishop of Lincoln, Dr John Kaye.

The buttressed nave and chancel both have attractive Decorated style windows.

Inside are fine timber roofs, original fittings and Victorian stained glass.

November 2013

Riseholme, St Mary church, S S Teulon, Bishop Kaye
Riseholme, St Mary
Riseholme, St Mary
Riseholme, St Mary

The chancel of St Mary's, built by Teulon in 1850, has an east window in the Decorated style.

November 2013

Riseholme, St Mary church
Riseholme, St Mary
Riseholme, St Mary
Riseholme, St Mary

The west window and bell cote of St Mary's.

November 2013

Riseholme, St Mary church
Riseholme, St Mary, Gravestone
Riseholme, St Mary, Gravestone
Riseholme, St Mary, Gravestone

The grave of Bishop John Kaye (Bishop of Lincoln) in Riseholme churchyard is attributed to S.S.Teulon.

It is in the shape of a church. The brass railings round it are suffering from neglect.


Pearl Wheatley, 2011

Riseholme, St Mary church, Bishop Kaye, Teulon,