Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Saltfleetby St Peter
 
Saltfleetby St Peter, Church
Saltfleetby St Peter, Church
Saltfleetby St Peter, Church

This photo of the west end of St Peterís shows the modest bell-cote of Fowler's church and the Spilsby Sandstone (greenstone) used in the construction.

September 2012

Saltfleetby St Peter, church
Saltfleetby St Peter, Church
Saltfleetby St Peter, Church
Saltfleetby St Peter, Church

James Fowler built a new church closer to the village in 1877.

He dismantled the old church and built this copy, reusing much of the original.

St Peterís has bell-cote, aisled nave and chancel, and incorporates the Early English arcades of the medieval church.

September 2012

Saltfleetby St Peter, church, James Fowler
Saltfleetby St Peter, Old Church
Saltfleetby St Peter, Old Church
Saltfleetby St Peter, Old Church

The tower of the medieval church stands alone half a mile from Fowlerís rebuilt church. The windows in the tower have fine perpendicular tracery.

September 2012

Saltfleetby St Peter, old church
Saltfleetby St Peter, Old Church
Saltfleetby St Peter, Old Church
Saltfleetby St Peter, Old Church

The buttressed tower of the old church has been stabilised.

One face is built in Spilsby Sandstone and another is Lincolnshire Limestone.

September 2012

Saltfleetby St Peter, old church