Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Scamblesby
 
Scamblesby, Methodist Church
Scamblesby, Methodist Church
Scamblesby, Methodist Church
Since 2013 this Methodist Church has been a dual purpose building, occasionally used for worship but also a venue for meetings, retreats and quiet days.

It also provides facilities for tourists, walkers and others wishing to enjoy the Lincolnshire Wolds.

The church, built in 1977, replaced an earlier Wesleyan Methodist chapel on the site, originating in 1835.

September 2020
Scamblesby, Methodist Church, Wolds Methodist Centre
Scamblesby, Methodist Church
Scamblesby, Methodist Church
Scamblesby, Methodist Church

"A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Horncastle & Bardney Circuit Past And Present” Prepared By Colin Shepherdson & Anthony E G Whiting September 1997 states :- 

"i) A chapel was erected in 1795 on the old main road.

ii) A second chapel was built on a new site at the bottom of Rowgate Hill in 1836, enlarged in 1868 and demolished in 1977 to make way for a replacement opened on the 7.1.1978.

The date stone of the old chapel is built into the back wall. It is still in use with a membership of 15".

DB 12 September 2021

Scamblesby, Methodist Church, Wolds Methodist Centre
Scamblesby, Methodist Church
Scamblesby, Methodist Church
Scamblesby, Methodist Church

Interior view of the chapel.

DB 12 September 2021

Scamblesby, Methodist Church, Wolds Methodist Centre
Scamblesby, Methodist Church
Scamblesby, Methodist Church
Scamblesby, Methodist Church

"Candle lamp thought to have been mounted by the entrance to the original chapel" - i.e. the one closed and demolished in 1977.

DB 12 September 2021

Scamblesby, Methodist Church, Wolds Methodist Centre, lamp
Scamblesby, Methodist Church
Scamblesby, Methodist Church
Scamblesby, Methodist Church

Images of the previous Wesleyan Methodist Chapel displayed in the new Wolds Methodist Centre.

DB 12 September 2021

Scamblesby, Methodist Church, Wolds Methodist Centre
Scamblesby, Methodist Church
Scamblesby, Methodist Church
Scamblesby, Methodist Church

Images of the previous Wesleyan Methodist Chapel displayed in the new Wolds Methodist Centre.

William Hewson, a lifelong member of the chapel, is the man pictured here. 

DB 12 September 2021


Scamblesby, Methodist Church, Wolds Methodist Centre
Scamblesby, St Martin
Scamblesby, St Martin
Scamblesby, St Martin

St Martin’s consists of aisled nave, chancel and western bell-cote, and largely dates from the rebuilding by R H Fowler in the early 1890s.

Made of greenstone with limestone dressings and slate roof, it is typical in style, design and materials of small country churches in the Wolds.

One of the piers, however, has characteristic Norman zig-zag decoration, and came from the now demolished church at Cawkwell.

September 2006

Scamblesby, St Martin, R H Fowler, Cawkwell, zig-zag
Scamblesby, St Martin
Scamblesby, St Martin
Scamblesby, St Martin

View of St Martin's church from the south-east.

Peter Kirk Collection, 1991

Scamblesby, St Martin
Scamblesby, St Martin
Scamblesby, St Martin
Scamblesby, St Martin

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states

"The church of St. Martin is a small edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, small aisles and a western turret containing one bell.

The turret was restored in 1823, and in 1890-91 the chancel was entirely rebuilt by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and in 1893 the nave was rebuilt at a cost of £800, under the supervision of Mr. Reginald H. Fowler, architect, of Louth"

DB 9 September 2018

Scamblesby, Saint Martin, Church
Scamblesby, St Martin, Bench Ends
Scamblesby, St Martin, Bench Ends
Scamblesby, St Martin, Bench Ends

The second bench end from the left has been repaired with a section of new wood let in.

Jean Howard, 6 April 2022

Scamblesby, Saint Martin, Church, Poppy Head
Scamblesby, St Martin, Bench Ends, Poppy Head
Scamblesby, St Martin, Bench Ends, Poppy Head
Scamblesby, St Martin, Bench Ends, Poppy Head

Poppy headed pew ends.

DB 9 September 2018

Scamblesby, Saint Martin, Church, Poppy Head
Scamblesby, St Martin, Bench Ends, Poppy Head
Scamblesby, St Martin, Bench Ends, Poppy Head
Scamblesby, St Martin, Bench Ends, Poppy Head

Poppy headed pew ends.

DB 9 September 2018

Scamblesby, Saint Martin, Church, Poppy Head
Scamblesby, St Martin, Bench Ends, Poppy Head
Scamblesby, St Martin, Bench Ends, Poppy Head
Scamblesby, St Martin, Bench Ends, Poppy Head

This is perhaps the best preserved of the poppyheads.
 
At first glance it seems to show a woman wearing a fine head dress, but close inspection shows that her face is surrounded by an open mouth with large teeth, suggesting she is in the jaws of hell.

Jean Howard, 6 April 2022

Scamblesby, Saint Martin, Church, Poppy Head
Scamblesby, St Martin, Bench Mark
Scamblesby, St Martin, Bench Mark
Scamblesby, St Martin, Bench Mark

This flush bracket benchmark is set into one of the buttresses on the north side of the nave. The height is 265.9 feet above Newlyn datum.

Jean Howard, 6 April 2022

Scamblesby, Saint Martin, Church, Bench Mark
Scamblesby, St Martin, Chancel
Scamblesby, St Martin, Chancel
Scamblesby, St Martin, Chancel

The chancel was entirely rebuilt by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1890-91.

The banner, standing to the left of the altar, is still used and in good condition It was made from a section of fabric from the Coronation of our Queen Elizabeth II. 

DB 9 September 2018

Scamblesby, Saint Martin, Church, chancel
Scamblesby, St Martin, East Window
Scamblesby, St Martin, East Window
Scamblesby, St Martin, East Window

In memory of Christopher Bell Robson of Cawkwell House. Churchwarden of the parish for 15 years.

The right-hand light shows Saint Martin cutting his cloak in half; the left-hand light shows Christ walking on the lake. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_of_Tours 

Dated 1908. 

DB 9 September 2018

Scamblesby, Saint Martin, Church, Christopher Bell Robson, cloak
Scamblesby, St Martin, Font
Scamblesby, St Martin, Font
Scamblesby, St Martin, Font

The font is thirteenth-century but was apparently removed from the church at the 1893 restoration and replaced with another that was considered more suitable.
 
In 1931 it was recovered and brought back into church. The expense involved was ‘at the cost of members of the Thornedike family of Old and New England and the font cover was provided out of a legacy from Miss E A Wilkinson in 1947’ to quote the framed notice above it.
 
The 1893 font designed by Reginald Fowler was given to St Andrew’s church, Farlesthorpe

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1205227 

DB 9 September 2018

Scamblesby, Saint Martin, Church, font
Scamblesby, St Martin, Foundation Stone
Scamblesby, St Martin, Foundation Stone
Scamblesby, St Martin, Foundation Stone

This stone is set into the west end of the nave outside, below the west window.
 
The inscription reads: 
THE NAVE OF THIS/ CHURCH WAS TAKEN/ DOWN AND REBUILT/ A.D. 1893/ ALFRED J SODEN VICAR/ C B ROBSON/ J R BOURNE CHURCHWARDENS

Jean Howard, 6 April 2022

Scamblesby, Saint Martin, Church, Foundation Stone, Soden, Robson, Bourne
Scamblesby, St Martin, Interior looking East
Scamblesby, St Martin, Interior looking East
Scamblesby, St Martin, Interior looking East

View looking east towards the chancel.

"Pointed, double chamfered chancel arch with hood mould and corbelled responds"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1205227 

DB 9 September 2018

Scamblesby, Saint Martin, Church
Scamblesby, St Martin, Interior looking East
Scamblesby, St Martin, Interior looking East
Scamblesby, St Martin, Interior looking East

This view across the nave shows many of the 18 original bench ends – not just the poppy heads – which are said to have been saved from the church of St Peter at Cawkwell.

Jean Howard, 6 April 2022

Scamblesby, Saint Martin, Church
Scamblesby, St Martin, Interior looking West
Scamblesby, St Martin, Interior looking West
Scamblesby, St Martin, Interior looking West

View looking west.

C19 pews however the poppy headed pew ends look older?

DB 9 September 2018

Scamblesby, Saint Martin, Church
Scamblesby, St Martin, Lectern
Scamblesby, St Martin, Lectern
Scamblesby, St Martin, Lectern

This well-carved oak lectern was given by C Dix of London.

Jean Howard, 6 April 2022

Scamblesby, Saint Martin, Church, Lectern, C Dix
Scamblesby, St Martin, Memorial (Grantham)
Scamblesby, St Martin, Memorial (Grantham)
Scamblesby, St Martin, Memorial (Grantham)

The memorial for Reading Grantham is made from a slab of limestone with two small columns of streaked marble flanking the inscription.

Grantham died in 1869.

[Note: These details have been carefully checked. There are errors in the listing description  

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1205227 ]

DB 9 September 2018

Scamblesby, Saint Martin, Church, Reading Grantham, P. Belton
Scamblesby, St Martin, Memorial (Thorndike)
Scamblesby, St Martin, Memorial (Thorndike)
Scamblesby, St Martin, Memorial (Thorndike)

The monument is for Margaret Thorndike nee Coppinger, daughter of the Revd Henry Coppinger, vicar of Lavenham, Suffolk.

She was born 1 May 1592, married Francis Thorndike in 1614 and possibly died soon afterwards.

The Latin is hard to decipher and abbreviated but there is a verse in English which reads:

THE RIGHTEOUS SOULE HER TOMBE OF FLESH FORSAKING/ NO JET, NO MARBLE MONUMENT REQUIRES/ BUT TO HER PLACE NY (NIGH?) GOD ABOVE BE TAKING/ THE HART ON EARTH NO OTHER TOMBE DESIRES/ AND ENVIES NOT THOSE POMPOUS NAMES WHOSE LIVES/ MONY AND SKILL, NOT LOVE AND SORROW, GIVES/ FRANCISCUS THORNDIKE L.M.P.
 
[Note: These details have been carefully checked. There are errors in the Historic England Listing Description]
 

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1205227 

DB 9 September 2018

Scamblesby, Saint Martin, Church, Margaret Henry
Scamblesby, St Martin, Pier
Scamblesby, St Martin, Pier
Scamblesby, St Martin, Pier

"The easternmost pier in the south arcade is re-used late C12 fabric from the demolished church of Cawkwell, with octagonal, chevroned pier with 4 [detached] columns"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1205227 

DB 9 September 2018

Scamblesby, Saint Martin, Church, Cawkwell, Pier
Scamblesby, St Martin, Pulpit
Scamblesby, St Martin, Pulpit
Scamblesby, St Martin, Pulpit

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states

"The oak pulpit was presented by the pupils of the Rev. Thomas White B.A. vicar 1860-91:

DB 9 September 2018

Scamblesby, Saint Martin, Church, pulpit, Rev. Thomas White
Scamblesby, St Martin, Triptych
Scamblesby, St Martin, Triptych
Scamblesby, St Martin, Triptych

This triptych was given by M L Robinson and is displayed above the altar in the south aisle. It is a reproduction in miniature of one by Hans Memling designed for a family chapel in Lubeck Cathedral in Germany.
 
The original is now kept in St Annen-Museum, which houses Germany’s biggest collection of mediaeval sculpture and altar-pieces.
 
The panels show, from left: St Blaize; St Aegidius; the Crucifixion; St John the Baptist; St Jerome.

Jean Howard, 6 April 2022

Scamblesby, Saint Martin, Church, Triptych, St Blaize, St Aegidius
Scamblesby, St Martin, War Memorial
Scamblesby, St Martin, War Memorial
Scamblesby, St Martin, War Memorial

First World War memorial.

DB 9 September 2018

Scamblesby, Saint Martin, Church