This is the seat of the Nelthorpe family who have occupied it continuously since it was built in c.1600.
The main front of the red brick house dates from the eighteenth century and part of the east front was rebuilt in 1913.
Drawing of 1795
More details about this house and its owners can be found in T R Leach's book, 'Lincolnshire Country Houses and their Families: Part 2', published by SLHA. Buy a copy.
The tower of St Hybald’s is medieval. The rest of the church was rebuilt by W A Nicholson in the 1840s, with clerestoried nave, aisles and chancel all in Early English style.
The tower of St Hybald’s is medieval.
The rest of the church was rebuilt by W A Nicholson in the 1840s, with clerestoried nave, aisles and chancel all in Early English style.
Hatchment for Sir John Nelthorpe, 8th Baronet, who married 1838 Frances Maria, daughter of the Rev Sir Charles Anderson, Bt., and died 22 November 1865.
Monument to Richard Nelthorpe, died 1640.
West Street is the main street (B1207) running through the village centre.
This view looking south shows the Sutton Arms on the right.
Elsewhere in the village is a mixture of estate cottages dating fromn the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.
Frith postcard, undated
The original mill at Scawby was built in 1829 and became derelict in the early years of the twentieth century.
This view of the mill is from Gainsborough Lane.
Jon Sass Collection, photograph 1890s
The current mill standing in Mill Lane is a 1993 reconstruction of a tower mill that collapsed when being converted into a dwelling.
Location of mill: SE 972 058
Peter Kirk Collection, 1998