Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Scothern
 
Scothern, Bottle & Glass, Public House
Scothern, Bottle & Glass, Public House
Scothern, Bottle & Glass, Public House

"Scothern's public house, the Bottle and Glass, was featured in The Telegraph in March 2008, when Prince William visited the pub for cider and a pie with his friends from the Red Arrows"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scothern 

Listed in Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919

Cargill Joseph Hy. Bottle & Glass P.H

and in 1885

Wilson Sarah (Mrs. ),Bottle & Glass P.H 

DB 1 May 2018

Scothern, Bottle & Glass, Public House
Scothern, Methodist Chapel
Scothern, Methodist Chapel
Scothern, Methodist Chapel

The first Wesleyan Methodist chapel was built in the village in 1823.

The current chapel replaced it in 1858.

September 2016

Scothern, Methodist Chapel
Scothern, Methodist Chapel
Scothern, Methodist Chapel
Scothern, Methodist Chapel

The Methodist chapel in Scothern built for the Wesleyans in 1858 is in Main Street at its junction with Chapel Walk.

September 2016

Scothern, Methodist chapel, Wesleyan
Scothern, St Germain, capitals
Scothern, St Germain, capitals
Scothern, St Germain, capitals

The chancel arch has two late twelfth century responds of triple detached shafts with waterleaf capitals. Pevsner describes them as 'spectacular'.

May 2016

Scothern, St Germain church, capital
Scothern, St Germain, font
Scothern, St Germain, font
Scothern, St Germain, font

The font at St Germain's probably dates from the 1876 restoration of the church by Charles Kirk

May 2016

Scothern, St Germain church, font
Scothern, St Germain, painting
Scothern, St Germain, painting
Scothern, St Germain, painting

Behing the altar in the reredos is this Italian-style painting of the Adoration of the Magi, probably dating from the seventeenth century.

May 2016

Scothern, St Germain church, painting, adoration of the Magi
Scothern, St Germain, pier fragment
Scothern, St Germain, pier fragment
Scothern, St Germain, pier fragment

This fragment of a pier on display near the pulpit is possibly from Barlings Abbey.

May 2016

Scothern, St Germain church, pier fragment, Barlings Abbey
Scothern, St Germain, War Memorial
Scothern, St Germain, War Memorial
Scothern, St Germain, War Memorial

Monument located in Saint Germain's churchyard. 

"THIS MONUMENT IS ERECTED

IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE MEN

FROM SCOTHORNE PARISH

WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR:

1914-1918"

Scothorne is an alternative spelling of the parish's name.

DB 1 May 2018

Scothern, War Memorial, Saint Germain, churchyard, Scothorne
Scothern, St German
Scothern, St German
Scothern, St German

The earliest parts of the church of St German are the tower and chancel arches which date from circa 1200.

The nave was rebuilt in 1796, with further restoration in the nineteenth century, and the chancel was rebuilt in 1904.

The Perpendicular upper stage of the tower may date from 1590 when the bells were re-hung.

Postcard, 1905

Scothern, St German, chancel
Scothern, St German
Scothern, St German
Scothern, St German

This weathered head by the west door is thought to have originated in Barlings Abbey.

January 2014

Scothern, St German
Scothern, St German
Scothern, St German
Scothern, St German

This weathered head by the west door is thought to have originated in Barlings Abbey.

January 2014

Scothern, St German
Scothern, St German
Scothern, St German
Scothern, St German

St Germanís has a medieval tower, but the rest of the building has seen many changes.

The nave, rebuilt in 1776 has windows of 1876, the chancel was rebuilt in 1904 and the north extension dates from 1840.

Inside, the impressive chancel arch is of c1200.

January 2014

Scothern, St German
Scothern, St German
Scothern, St German
Scothern, St German

The view of St German's from the east shows the chancel of 1904 with its Decorated tracery.

January 2014

Scothern, St German
Scothern, St German
Scothern, St German
Scothern, St German
Scothern, St German