Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Scunthorpe
 
Scunthorpe, British Steel, Dragline
Scunthorpe, British Steel, Dragline
Scunthorpe, British Steel, Dragline

A dragline at work in the opencast iron ore mines.

DB 1980 

Scunthorpe, British Steel, Dragline, iron ore
Scunthorpe, Centenary Methodist Church, Frodingham Road
Scunthorpe, Centenary Methodist Church, Frodingham Road
Scunthorpe, Centenary Methodist Church, Frodingham Road

Originally a Primitive Methodist chapel. 

In "A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Scunthorpe Circuit Past And Present” prepared By Colin Shepherdson & Mervyn G White March 1997 (Revised August 1998) it is stated that :-

"The foundation stone was laid on the 29.1.1908 and the chapel opened, in Frodingham Road at its junction with Smith Street, on the 14.10.1908.

It was burnt down on the 21.8.1970, rebuilt on the same site and reopened on the 15.7.1972.

It is still in use with a membership of 101"

Sadly the building has now closed and in September 2017 the Scunthorpe Telegraph reported that it had been standing empty for three years.

https://www.scunthorpetelegraph.co.uk/news/empty-scunthorpe-church-could-become-499308 

DB 19 February 2019 

Scunthorpe, Centenary Methodist Church, Frodingham Road, Primitive, Chapel
Scunthorpe, Centenary Methodist Church, Frodingham Road
Scunthorpe, Centenary Methodist Church, Frodingham Road
Scunthorpe, Centenary Methodist Church, Frodingham Road

The rear part of the building (perhaps a church hall or Sunday School?) seems to have escaped the fire of 21.8.1970.

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"The Primitive Methodist chapel, in Frodingham road, was built in 1908 at a cost, including site, schools, institute and an organ, of about £5,500:

there are 700 sittings"

DB 19 February 2019 

Centenary Methodist Church, Frodingham Road, Primitive Methodist chapel
Scunthorpe, Centenary Methodist Church, Frodingham Road
Scunthorpe, Centenary Methodist Church, Frodingham Road
Scunthorpe, Centenary Methodist Church, Frodingham Road

The chapel was burnt down on the 21.8.1970, rebuilt on the same site and reopened on the 15.7.1972.

Foundation stone at the front of the new building. 

DB 19 February 2019 

Scunthorpe, Centenary Methodist Church, Frodingham Road
Scunthorpe, Centenary Methodist Church, Frodingham Road
Scunthorpe, Centenary Methodist Church, Frodingham Road
Scunthorpe, Centenary Methodist Church, Frodingham Road

One of a number of foundation stones at the rear of the church.

The rear part of the building (perhaps a church hall or Sunday School?) seems to have escaped the fire of 21.8.1970.

DB 19 February 2019 

Scunthorpe, Centenary Methodist Church, Frodingham Road
Scunthorpe, Central Mosque, Percival Street
Scunthorpe, Central Mosque, Percival Street
Scunthorpe, Central Mosque, Percival Street

"The Scunthorpe Central Mosque is in the heart of Scunthorpe, a diverse town with a rich culture, and home to the largest Muslim community in North Lincolnshire"

https://http://www.scunthorpemosque.co.uk/ 

DB 19 February 2019 

Scunthorpe, Central Mosque, Percival Street
Scunthorpe, Central Mosque, Percival Street
Scunthorpe, Central Mosque, Percival Street
Scunthorpe, Central Mosque, Percival Street

Mosque was founded in 1981.

DB 19 February 2019 

Scunthorpe, Central Mosque, Percival Street
Scunthorpe, Congregational Church, Oswald Road
Scunthorpe, Congregational Church, Oswald Road
Scunthorpe, Congregational Church, Oswald Road

At the corner of Oswald Road and Doncaster Road.

"There is also a Congregational chapel, built in 1912, at a cost of £3,000, and seating 650 persons"

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919.

"In 1928 the membership numbered 107, the Sunday School had 139 scholars and 20 teachers and officers, and the choir numbered 36.

After World War Two a general decline set in and by the mid  nineties membership was two dozen plus two children.

Drastic action was called for"

https://www.scunthorpecc.co.uk/how-we-got-here/  

In 1998 the church moved to a new building on Ferry Road West and the Oswald Road premises is now occupied by the Light Bar.

DB 19 February 2019 


Scunthorpe, Congregational Church, Oswald Road
Scunthorpe, Congregational Church, Oswald Road
Scunthorpe, Congregational Church, Oswald Road
Scunthorpe, Congregational Church, Oswald Road

"There is also a Congregational chapel, built in 1912, at a cost of £3,000, and seating 650 persons"

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919.

"In 1928 the membership numbered 107, the Sunday School had 139 scholars and 20 teachers and officers, and the choir numbered 36.

After World War Two a general decline set in and by the mid  nineties membership was two dozen plus two children.

Drastic action was called for"

https://www.scunthorpecc.co.uk/how-we-got-here/  

In 1998 the church moved to a new building on Ferry Road West and the Oswald Road premises is now occupied by the Light Bar.

DB 19 February 2019 

Scunthorpe, Congregational Church, Oswald Road, Light Bar
Scunthorpe, Court House, High Street East
Scunthorpe, Court House, High Street East
Scunthorpe, Court House, High Street East

Scunthorpe's first court house. 

"Former court house, now Ukranian Catholic church. 1895. Designed by the County Surveyor, James Thropp"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1253136 

The building is standing empty awaiting sale.

DB 19 February 2019 

Scunthorpe, Court House, High Street East, Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Holy Cross
Scunthorpe, Court House, High Street East
Scunthorpe, Court House, High Street East
Scunthorpe, Court House, High Street East

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"The court house and police station was built at a cost of £6,000, and here the petty sessions are held"

"Converted into Scunthorpe Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Holy Cross in 1983"

http://northlincsmuseumimagearchive.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s07237&pos=2&action=zoom 

The building is standing empty awaiting sale. 

DB 19 February 2019

Scunthorpe, Court House, High Street East, Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Holy Cross
Scunthorpe, Court House, High Street East
Scunthorpe, Court House, High Street East
Scunthorpe, Court House, High Street East

Detail of the central plaque above the 3 round arched ashlar doorways.

DB 19 February 2019 

Scunthorpe, Court House, High Street East
Scunthorpe, Court House, High Street East
Scunthorpe, Court House, High Street East
Scunthorpe, Court House, High Street East

Building is now standing empty awaiting sale.

Estate Agents particulars mention a price of £137,000 and state

"Now separated from the rest of the town centre by Brigg Road, High Street East, formerly known as Station Road, was once at the heart of Scunthorpe.

The former Court House and Police Station (1895) and Lock Up (1865) have now changed uses over the years and the former Court House is now the Ukrainian Catholic Church (Listed Building, Grade 2)"

http://www.bellwatson.co.uk/fulldetails.vbhtml?property-for-sale&com14004&high-street-east_scunthorpe_dn156uh 

DB 19 February 2019 

Scunthorpe, Court House, High Street East, Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Holy Cross
Scunthorpe, Frodingham Iron Works
Scunthorpe, Frodingham Iron Works
Scunthorpe, Frodingham Iron Works

Frodingham Iron Works was established in 1864, to be joined by five other iron making companies in the Scunthorpe area by the end of the century.

In 1912 they absorbed the Appleby Ironworks to form the largest iron and steel making company in the area.

undated postcard by Arjay

Scunthorpe, Frodingham Iron works, Arjay
Scunthorpe, Gas Masks
Scunthorpe, Gas Masks
Scunthorpe, Gas Masks

Pupils of Henderson Avenue School doing gas mask drill in September 1939 (Photo Scunthorpe Star)

David Robinson Collection

Scunthorpe, gas masks world war two, Henderson Avenue School
Scunthorpe, High Street
Scunthorpe, High Street
Scunthorpe, High Street

Undated view of Scunthorpe High Street.

postcard published by Bartle Brothers of Scunthorpe

Scunthorpe, High Street, Bartle brothers
Scunthorpe, High Street
Scunthorpe, High Street
Scunthorpe, High Street

The view along High Street looking east is remarkably quiet.

postcard, 1916

Scunthorpe, High Street
Scunthorpe, High Street, Wesleyan Methodist Church
Scunthorpe, High Street, Wesleyan Methodist Church
Scunthorpe, High Street, Wesleyan Methodist Church

In this view along High Street the town's principal Wesleyan Methodist Chapel is on the left

postcard, 1920s

Scunthorpe, High Street, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Scunthorpe, Holy Souls Church, Frodingham Road
Scunthorpe, Holy Souls Church, Frodingham Road
Scunthorpe, Holy Souls Church, Frodingham Road

The Roman Catholic church was opened by Bishop Brindle on 2nd December 1911.

"Messrs Kirby and Son (Liverpool) are the architects, the builder is Mr J. Klauke, of Crosby, and Mr Ted Leaf, Scunthorpe, has been entrusted with the painting and decorating.

The building reflects the highest credit on all concerned, and has cost £2,000"

http://www.holysoulsscunthorpe.co.uk/history.aspx 

DB 19 February 2019 

Scunthorpe, Holy Souls Church, Frodingham Road, Roman Catholic, Kirby and Son
Scunthorpe, Home Guard 1944
Scunthorpe, Home Guard 1944
Scunthorpe, Home Guard 1944

A photograph of the leading officers of Scunthorpe’s Home Guard in 1944.

Back Row: Capt H Lithgow (Liaison), Lieut G E Shaw (Accountant), Capt H Kirman MBE (C D Liaison), Lieut E R S Watson (Intelligence), Lieut J H Waterlow (Signals);

Front Row: Major J E Oldroyd (Training), Col J G T Eccles (Sector Commander), Capt J Stonard (Adjutant), Mrs M Ashton (Secretary)

David Robinson Collection

Scunthorpe, Home Guard
Scunthorpe, Jubilee Hall, Laneham Street
Scunthorpe, Jubilee Hall, Laneham Street
Scunthorpe, Jubilee Hall, Laneham Street

"Built as a Jubilee Hall by Scunthorpe Co-operative Society in 1925, but became a cinema in 1927.

It closed in 1955 and the building has now been converted into a Chinese restaurant called the Pearl City"

http://northlincsmuseumimagearchive.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s07168&pos=2&action=zoom 

DB 19 February 2019 

Scunthorpe, Jubilee Hall, Laneham Street
Scunthorpe, Memorial Garden (Formerly Scunthorpe Cemetery), Frances Street
Scunthorpe, Memorial Garden (Formerly Scunthorpe Cemetery), Frances Street
Scunthorpe, Memorial Garden (Formerly Scunthorpe Cemetery), Frances Street

Memorial cross in the center of an inclined flower bed.

DB 19 February 2019 

Scunthorpe, Memorial Garden, Frances Street, Cemetery
Scunthorpe, Memorial Garden (Formerly Scunthorpe Cemetery), Frances Street
Scunthorpe, Memorial Garden (Formerly Scunthorpe Cemetery), Frances Street
Scunthorpe, Memorial Garden (Formerly Scunthorpe Cemetery), Frances Street

Tablet commemorating servicemen buried in the former Scunthorpe Cemetery.

DB 19 February 2019 

Scunthorpe, Memorial Garden, Frances Street
Scunthorpe, Memorial Garden (Formerly Scunthorpe Cemetery), Frances Street
Scunthorpe, Memorial Garden (Formerly Scunthorpe Cemetery), Frances Street
Scunthorpe, Memorial Garden (Formerly Scunthorpe Cemetery), Frances Street

Formerly the Scunthorpe Cemetery which opened in 1885, the first burial being on 30th January that year.

The last burial took place on 30th September 1988, by that time the cemetery contained 3417 graves.

The cemetery was cleared of memorials using powers under the Disused Burial Grounds Act 1884. 

Some of the memorials that were considered more notable were moved to three corners of the cemetery when the Memorial Gardens were created.

Information from North Lincs Council notice board.

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"A cemetery of 3.5 acres was formed in 1884, at a cost of £3,000: it has a chapel and mortuary, and is under the control of the Urban District Council"

DB 19 February 2019 

Scunthorpe, Memorial Garden, Frances Street, Cemetery
Scunthorpe, Mutual Co-operative and Industrial Society, Frodingham Road
Scunthorpe, Mutual Co-operative and Industrial Society, Frodingham Road
Scunthorpe, Mutual Co-operative and Industrial Society, Frodingham Road

Former Co-op shop now Weldricks Pharmacy.

The idea of Co-operation was first brought to Scunthorpe by Mr Enoch Markham.

He had previously helped set up Mexborough Co-operative Society and moved to Scunthorpe to work at Trent Iron Works.

Cottages had been built for him and other workers of the Iron Works and he began spreading the idea of setting up a Co-operative Society among them.

The first official meeting took place on 29th Apr 1874 at 1 Chapel Street, Scunthorpe"

"In Sep 1908 the Crosby branch was opened"

https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/search/archives/2f23085e-cb54-39f2-b6bd-78a683d06522?component=9882f7aa-fe5b-3680-ae16-d0de1728e67c 

DB 19 February 2019 

Scunthorpe, Mutual Co-operative and Industrial Society, Frodingham Road Weldricks Pharmacy
Scunthorpe, Mutual Co-operative and Industrial Society, Frodingham Road
Scunthorpe, Mutual Co-operative and Industrial Society, Frodingham Road
Scunthorpe, Mutual Co-operative and Industrial Society, Frodingham Road

Inscription on side of building.

DB 19 February 2019 

Scunthorpe, Mutual Co-operative and Industrial Society, Frodingham Road
Scunthorpe, Primitive Methodist Church
Scunthorpe, Primitive Methodist Church
Scunthorpe, Primitive Methodist Church

Ther Primitive Methodist Chapel on Frodingham Road, Scunthorpe.

postcard published by Bartle Brothers of Scunthorpe, c.1910

Scunthorpe, Primitive Methodist Church
Scunthorpe, Railway Station, Station Road
Scunthorpe, Railway Station, Station Road
Scunthorpe, Railway Station, Station Road

"This is not the original Scunthorpe station.

The original station was known as Frodingham and located over half a mile to the east near the Brigg Road bridge (then a level crossing).

It opened in 1864, it was replaced by a second station just 200 yd west from the first in 1887.

This one was closed when the present station was opened on 11 March 1928"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scunthorpe_railway_station 

DB 19 February 2019 

Scunthorpe, Railway Station, Station Road
Scunthorpe, Railway Station, Station Road
Scunthorpe, Railway Station, Station Road
Scunthorpe, Railway Station, Station Road

Work to install a new footbridge can be seen beyond the platform canopies.

"We’re improving accessibility at Scunthorpe station as part of the Government Inclusive Transport Strategy.

We will install a new footbridge and two new 16-person lifts either side of the footbridge to deliver accessible routes to and between platforms one and two. We are opening up access to rail journeys not only for those with reduced mobility, but also people with children, heavy luggage or shopping.

To allow for the replacement of the existing footbridge, a temporary footbridge will be installed towards the opposite end of the platforms (towards the barrow crossing) while the new permanent footbridge is installed in place of the existing one"

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/our-routes/lne-and-em/scunthorpe-station-access-for-all/ 

DB 19 February 2019 

Scunthorpe, Railway Station, Station Road, footbridge
Scunthorpe, Railway Station, Station Road
Scunthorpe, Railway Station, Station Road
Scunthorpe, Railway Station, Station Road

On the left a British Rail Class 142 Pacer diesel multiple-unit 142608 sitting at Platform 2.

"96 units were built by British Rail Engineering Limited's Derby Litchurch Lane Works between 1985 and 1987"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_142 

On the right Freightliner 66539 travelling through the station.

DB 19 February 2019 

Scunthorpe, Railway Station, Station Road
Scunthorpe, Royal Cinema, Gilliatt Street
Scunthorpe, Royal Cinema, Gilliatt Street
Scunthorpe, Royal Cinema, Gilliatt Street

The former Royal Cinema which opened as a silent cinema on 1st October 1929.

In 1959 the Royal Cinema closed its doors and reopened as the town’s Star Bingo Club.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/43426 

Now Oscar's Bar.

DB 19 February 2019  

 

Scunthorpe, Royal Cinema, Gilliatt Street
Scunthorpe, Royal Visit
Scunthorpe, Royal Visit
Scunthorpe, Royal Visit

King George VI and Queen Elizabeth visiting the steel furnace at Appleby Frodingham Steelworks with Walter Jackson (centre picture)

David Robinson Collection

Scunthorpe, Royal Visit, Walter Jackson
Scunthorpe, Seventh-day Adventist Church, Frodingham Road
Scunthorpe, Seventh-day Adventist Church, Frodingham Road
Scunthorpe, Seventh-day Adventist Church, Frodingham Road

"The Seventh-day Adventist Church is a Protestant Christian denomination distinguished by its observance of Saturday, the seventh day of the week in Christian and Jewish calendars, as the Sabbath, and by its emphasis on the imminent Second Coming (advent) of Jesus Christ.

The denomination grew out of the Millerite movement in the United States during the mid-19th century and was formally established in 1863"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seventh-day_Adventist_Church

DB 19 February 2019 

Scunthorpe, Seventh-day Adventist Church, Frodingham Road
Scunthorpe, Special Constables WW2
Scunthorpe, Special Constables WW2
Scunthorpe, Special Constables WW2

Special Constables outside the Police Station in High Street East, Scunthorpe (undated photograph)

David Robinson Collection

Scunthorpe, Special Constables
Scunthorpe, St John
Scunthorpe, St John
Scunthorpe, St John

The former parish church of Saint John in Scunthorpe was built in 1889 at the considerable expense of the steel baron Lord St Oswald and has much fine detail.

Sadly it was built in the wrong place and became redundant. It is now part of the 20-21 Visual Arts Centre.

Mark Acton, 2015

Scunthorpe, St John church, Lord St Oswald, Visual Arts Centre
Scunthorpe, St John
Scunthorpe, St John
Scunthorpe, St John

The architect of St John's church in Scunthorpe built in 1891 was Joseph Stretch Crowther.

The tall tower has coupled two-light bell openings.

April 2015

Scunthorpe, St John church, Joseph Stretch Crowther
Scunthorpe, St John
Scunthorpe, St John
Scunthorpe, St John

View of St John's from the south-east.

postcard published by Bartle Brothers of Scunthorpe, 1917

Scunthorpe, St John church, Bartle Brothers
Scunthorpe, St John, decoration
Scunthorpe, St John, decoration
Scunthorpe, St John, decoration

The church is extravagantly decorated with battlements, pinnacles, friezes.

April 2015

Scunthorpe, St John church
Scunthorpe, St John, monogram
Scunthorpe, St John, monogram
Scunthorpe, St John, monogram

St John's church was built for Rowland Winn, 1st Baron St Oswald.

His monogram is carved in stone above the west door.

April 2015

Scunthorpe, St John church, Rowland Winn, Oswald
Scunthorpe, St John, west doorway
Scunthorpe, St John, west doorway
Scunthorpe, St John, west doorway

The west door and surrounding entrance are richly decorated.

The church is built of ironstone with limestone dressing.

April 2015

Scunthorpe, St John
Scunthorpe, Steel Works
Scunthorpe, Steel Works
Scunthorpe, Steel Works

The iron making process, the heart of the steel works.  Two blast furnaces are shown.

1930s photograph

Scunthorpe, Steel works
Scunthorpe, Steel Works
Scunthorpe, Steel Works
Scunthorpe, Steel Works

Unidentified and undated photograph of steelworks in Scunthorpe.

David Robinson Collection

Scunthorpe, steelworks
Scunthorpe, Steelworkers Sculpture, High Street
Scunthorpe, Steelworkers Sculpture, High Street
Scunthorpe, Steelworkers Sculpture, High Street

Unveiled 3 November 2018.

"The artwork by sculptor Ray Lonsdale depicts a man and a woman returning home with a bicycle after a shift in the town's steelworks during the 1940s.

Volunteers in North Lincolnshire spent seven years raising £48,00 towards the cost of constructing the two life-sized figures on top of a plinth.

It was unveiled on the High Street by the town's Labour MP Nik Dakin.

The project's manager, Adrian Holmes, said the statue was a monument to the "town's steelworks heritage".

"The sculpture is all about everyday people that have worked on the steelworks over the years, right through to the present day and into the future," he said"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-46083095 

Made from Corten weathering steel. 

DB 19 February 2019 

Scunthorpe, Steelworkers Sculpture, High Street, Ray Lonsdale
Scunthorpe, Visit of Clement Attlee
Scunthorpe, Visit of Clement Attlee
Scunthorpe, Visit of Clement Attlee

Labour leader Clement Attlee on a visit to the steelworks in Scunthorpe, probably in early 1950s.

In the photograph from the left: Attlee, David Quibell, Mayor Coun Spavin and Joe Kilby, general manager of Redbourne Steelworks.

David Robinson Collection

Scunthorpe, Attlee
Scunthorpe, Wartime Street Party
Scunthorpe, Wartime Street Party
Scunthorpe, Wartime Street Party

A wartime street party in Neath Road, New Brumby, early 1940s.

The wired enclosure behind contained a stationary water tank for emergency firefighting.

David Robinson Collection

Scunthorpe, wartime party
Scunthorpe, Wesleyan Methodist / Methodist New Connexion, Market Hill
Scunthorpe, Wesleyan Methodist / Methodist New Connexion, Market Hill
Scunthorpe, Wesleyan Methodist / Methodist New Connexion, Market Hill

In "A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Scunthorpe Circuit Past And Present” prepared By Colin Shepherdson & Mervyn G White March 1997 (Revised August 1998) it is stated that :-

"A chapel was built in 1888, and opened in January 1889, and replaced by Trinity in 1900.

It was sold to the Methodist New Connexion in 1899 and remained in use until circa 1914.

It is still standing and in use as offices"

Now in use by a charity "Magic Moments for Autistic Kids"

http://www.magicmomentsforautistickids.org/ 

DB 19 February 2019


Scunthorpe, Methodist Chapel, Market Hill, Magic Moments for Autistic Kids
Scunthorpe, Wesleyan Methodist Church
Scunthorpe, Wesleyan Methodist Church
Scunthorpe, Wesleyan Methodist Church

The Wesleyan Methodist chapel and Sunday schools were built on High Street in 1900 at a cost of £7400.

postcard published by Bartle Brothers of Scunthorpe, undated

Scunthorpe, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Bartle brothers
Scunthorpe, Windmill, Long's Mill (1)
Scunthorpe, Windmill, Long's Mill (1)
Scunthorpe, Windmill, Long's Mill (1)

This tower mill, close to the steelworks to the east of Scunthorpe, was built in 1858.

The mill had four floors and four double-sided sails.

Jon Sass Collection, photograph early 1900s

Scunthorpe, Long's Mill, windmill, Jon Sass
Scunthorpe, Windmill, Long's Mill (2)
Scunthorpe, Windmill, Long's Mill (2)
Scunthorpe, Windmill, Long's Mill (2)

Long's Mill ceased to operate in the 1930s and the machinery was removed.

The tower was restored and capped in the 1980s. It is Listed Grade II.

Location of mill: SE 902 113

Peter Kirk Collection, 2002

Scunthorpe, windmill, Peter Kirk
Scunthorpe, Windmill, Tighe And Company Limited, High Street East
Scunthorpe, Windmill, Tighe And Company Limited, High Street East
Scunthorpe, Windmill, Tighe And Company Limited, High Street East

"Windmill-tower, now offices, Mid C19, restored 1982.

Coursed ironstone rubble base, tarred brick tower, wooden cap and fittings.

4-storey tower has single pane windows in original segmental arched openings, 1982 cogged brick cornice and wooden onion-shaped cap, with ball finial. and cross-tree"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1083613

DB 19 February 2019

Scunthorpe Mill, Tighe And Company Limited, High Street East, Windmill