Sempringham, St Andrew
The church of St Andrew, Sempringham, stands alone surrounded by fields.
The Norman S doorway and N arcade remain from the original building, while the tower is late 14th century and the apsidal chancel Victorian.
In the 12th century, Gilbert of Sempringham built his monastery for men and women nearby, thus founding the Gilbertine monastic order which flourished in the middle ages. Gilbert was canonised in 1202.
Frank Robinson, 2010
Sempringham, St Andrew, church, Gilbert, monastery, Norman,