The Lancashire, Derbyshire and East Coast Railway was an ambitious 171 mile project to link Warrington in the west and new docks at Sutton on Sea in the east, thus giving a new outlet for Derbyshire coal.
In the event, in 1896 only the central portion, from Chesterfield to Pyewipe on the outskirts of Lincoln was built and Skellingthorpe became the line's only Lincolnshire station.
The line lost its passenger service in 1955. The route, however, was important for coal trains to Immingham and seasonal passenger trains taking people from north Nottinghamshire to the Lincolnshire seaside and remained in use until total closure in 1980.
The track, seen here near Skellingthorpe, was removed in 1981.
Peter Grey Archive, 1981