Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
South Reston
 
South Reston, St Edith
South Reston, St Edith
South Reston, St Edith

In common with several churches built by Fowler, St Edith's has a bellcote over the west gable and windows with plate tracery in Early English style.

Jews' Court collection, 1978

South Reston, St Edith, James Fowler
South Reston, St Edith
South Reston, St Edith
South Reston, St Edith

The church was constructed in rock-faced stone.

At the time of this photograph the church was already redundant; it was demolished in 1983.

Jews' Court collection, 1978

South Reston, St Edith, porch
South Reston, St Edith
South Reston, St Edith
South Reston, St Edith

St Edith's church was built by James Fowler, the Louth architect, in 1864-65.

The style was typical of the period, Early English with plate tracery in the windows.

postcard, early 20th century, courtesy David Start


South Reston, St Edith
South Reston, St Edith
South Reston, St Edith
South Reston, St Edith

St Edith's was in a prominent position alongside the main road through the village (A157).

undated photograph, courtesy Jean Howard

 

South Reston, St Edith
South Reston, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
South Reston, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
South Reston, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

The 1879 Wesleyan chapel in South Reston replaced an earlier building of 1837. It closed for worship in 2006.

Image from a postcard sent from South Reston to Withern in 1908.

South Reston, Wesleyan