Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
South Willingham
 
South Willingham, cottage
South Willingham, cottage
South Willingham, cottage

South Willingham is a village lying 8 miles south east of Market Rasen. It had a railway station on the Louth to Bardney line.

The cottage in the centre is made of mud and stud, a common method of construction in the east of the county

undated postcard

South Willingham,
South Willingham, street scene
South Willingham, street scene
South Willingham, street scene
South Willingham, street scene
South Willingham, St Martin
South Willingham, St Martin
South Willingham, St Martin

The font is square, with chamfered angles, on nine shafts with fillets. On the bowl are two quatrefoils on each side.

July 2011

South Willingham, St Martin, font
South Willingham, St Martin
South Willingham, St Martin
South Willingham, St Martin

View from the south-east.

July 2012

South Willingham, St Martin
South Willingham, St Martin
South Willingham, St Martin
South Willingham, St Martin

Memorial plaque, marble and slate, to Revd George Henry Curtois.

July 2012

South Willingham, St Martin, George Henry Curtois
South Willingham, St Martin
South Willingham, St Martin
South Willingham, St Martin

The nave of St Martin's, rebuilt in 1838, has 14th century style windows, while the chancel with its plate-tracery is in part 13th century.

The interior contains a restored 15th century screen and a 19th century reredos.

July 2011

South Willingham, St Martin
South Willingham, St Martin
South Willingham, St Martin
South Willingham, St Martin

The tower of St Martinís dates from the 14th century.

The nave, rebuilt in 1838, has 14th century style windows, while the chancel with its plate-tracery is in part 13th century.

July 2011

South Willingham, St Martin
South Willingham, St Martin
South Willingham, St Martin
South Willingham, St Martin

The view of St Martin's from the south-west shows clearly the relatively regular blocks of greenstone (Spilsby Sandstone) used in its construction.

July 2012

South Willingham, St Martin