Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Spalding
 
Spalding, Birch's Mill
Spalding, Birch's Mill
Spalding, Birch's Mill

Birch’s Mill was a powerful six-sailer built in 1819. It was demolished in 1909.

Postcard from David Robinson Collection, 1906


Spalding, Birch's Mill
Spalding, Chain Bridge Forge
Spalding, Chain Bridge Forge
Spalding, Chain Bridge Forge

The brick and pantiled forge on High Street near the former Chain Bridge over the Welland dates from about 1800.

Throughout the 19th century much of the work of the smithy was concerned with boats and river traffic.

The business was in the hands of the Dodd family from 1899 till the 1980s when the business faced closure.

Spalding, forge, Chain Bridge, Dodd,
Spalding, Fulney St Paul
Spalding, Fulney St Paul
Spalding, Fulney St Paul

This red-brick church was designed by Sir G G Scott and completed in 1880 two years after Scott's death.

The steeple, 135ft high, is a detached structure only linked to the main building by an arcade.

card by Valentine, posted 1906

Spalding, Fulney St Paul church, George Gilbert Scott
Spalding, Lock's Mill
Spalding, Lock's Mill
Spalding, Lock's Mill

Lock's Mill on St Catherine's Island, Spalding.

This smock mill, one of very few built in Lincolnshire, was demolished in 1899.


Undated photograph

Spalding, Lock's Mill, windmill, smock mill, St Catherine's Island,
Spalding, Market Sale Ring
Spalding, Market Sale Ring
Spalding, Market Sale Ring

The circular sale ring at Spalding animal market was covered by this complex steel structure.

Following closure of the market, the ring was moved to The Bulb Museum in Pinchbeck at Birchgrove Garden Centre.

Ken Redmore, 2010

Spalding, market ring, roof structure,
Spalding, River Welland
Spalding, River Welland
Spalding, River Welland

Spalding was a busy river port on the River Welland from Roman times until its decline in the early twentieth century.

undated postcard

Spalding, River Welland
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas

The church of St Mary and St Nicholas was built as a parish church by the local rich Benedictine priory in about 1284.

The original building was cruciform; there were considerable additions in the next 200 years.

The church was restored in 1865-67 by G G Scott.

1950s postcard

Spalding, SS Mary and Nicholas, G G Scott, Benedictine priory,
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas

There is evidence that the tower of Spalding's parish church, with Early English ground stages and a total height of 160 ft, was once a detached structure.

undated postcard

Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas church
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas

St Mary's Chapel, to the south-east of the transept, has unusual Perpendicular tracery.

The Y-tracery of the south aisle windows can also be seen.

August 2016

Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas church
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas

The three stepped lancets at the east end of the chancel date from the restoration by Scott in the nineteenth century.

August 2016

Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas church
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas

The large window on the west front, built by G G Scott in 1865-74, is in Perpendicular style.

The window to the south aisle (to the right) is Decorated with reticulated tracery; the window in the north aisle is Perpendicular.

August 2016

Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, chancel ceiling
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, chancel ceiling
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, chancel ceiling

 The chancel ceiling was decorated by Stephen Dykes-Bower* in 1959.

August 2016

* Stephen Dykes Bower (1903-1994) was a renowned Gothic Revival designer, responsible for restoration work in many churches including Westminster Abbey. 

Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas church, chancel ceiling, Stephen Dykes-Bower
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, corbel
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, corbel
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, corbel

This corbel in the interior of the church probably represents the Green Man.

August 2016

Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas church, corbel, green man
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, font
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, font
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, font

The ornate octagonal font was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott.

August 2016

Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, font
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, gargoyle
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, gargoyle
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, gargoyle

Sheep's head gargoyle on the south side of the nave.

August 2016

Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas church, gargoyle
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, hatchment
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, hatchment
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, hatchment

Hatchment for Theophilus Buckworth of Clay Hall, Spalding, who married Elizabeth Clay and died 3 February 1802. She died 3 January 1793.

August 2016

Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas church, hatchment, Theophilus Buckworth, Elizabeth Clay
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, hatchment
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, hatchment
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, hatchment

Hatchment for Elizabeth, only daughter of Rev Thomas Mills, Canon of Peterborough,who married in 1841, as his first wife, Maurice Johnson of Aycoughfee Hall, and died 25 September 1843.

August 2016

Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, hatchment, Elizabeth Mills. Thomas Mills, Maurice Johnson
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, hatchment
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, hatchment
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, hatchment

Hatchment for Theophilus Fairfax Johnson, who married Millicent Anne, daughter and sole heir of Stephen Roger Moore, and died 29 March 1853.

August 2016

Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, hatchment, Theophilus Fairfax Johnson, Anne, Stephen Roger Moore
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, hatchment
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, hatchment
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, hatchment

Hatchment for Theophilus Maurice Stephen Johnson, who died 11 December 1892.

August 2016

Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, hatchment, Theophilus Maurice Stephen Johnson
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, interior
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, interior
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, interior

The four-bay arcades either side of the nave date from the late fourteenth century.

The piers are quatrefoil, the arches double-chamfered.

Beyond the nave can be seen the chancel with richly decorated ceiling and screen (by J Oldrid Scott).

August 2016

Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, interior
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, memorial
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, memorial
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, memorial

A brass plaque on the organ casing is in memory of a choir boy.

It reads: In loving memory / of /  George Cooper Blackbourn / a member of this choir / Drowned in the Welland December 6th 1910 / found January 5th and buried January 7th 1911 / aged 11 years / This memorial is dedicated by the choir / and a few friends

August 2016

Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas church, memorial, George Cooper Blackbourn
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, stained glass
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, stained glass
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, stained glass

One of two windows in the south aisle by H W Harvey*, made in 1966.

August 2016

* H W (Harry) Harvey of York (1923-2011) was an eminent creator of painted or stained glass windows. Some of his 200+ windows can be seen in York MInster.

Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas church, stained glass, H W Harvey
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, stained glass
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, stained glass
Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas, stained glass

One of two windows in the south aisle by H W Harvey, made in 1966.

August 2016



Spalding, St Mary & St Nicholas church, stained glass, H W Harvey
Spalding, Steppingstones Railway Footbridge
Spalding, Steppingstones Railway Footbridge
Spalding, Steppingstones Railway Footbridge

This wrought iron footbridge, with five equal spans of 50 feet, and a total length of 368 feet overall, spanned a total of 16 running lines and sidings just north of Spalding station (TF 245 231).

It was built in 1860 for GNR and demolished in 2010.

This photograph shows some of the architectural detailing, which is both functional and attractive. The spandrels, external brackets, stairway balusters, supporting columns and their caps were all finely detailed.

Spalding, Steppingstone Railway footbridge