Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Spilsby
 
Franklin, John - statue
Franklin, John - statue
Franklin, John - statue

John Franklin (1786-1847) was born in Spilsby. As a naval officer he led expeditions to northern Canada in 1819 and 1825 before being appointed Governor of Tasmania (1836-1843).

His final expedition, to search for the North-West Passage in 1845, famously ended in disaster for him and his entire crew there were no survivors but, as in similar circumstances for other explorers, it did elevate him to lasting fame.

(The statue in Spilsby Market Place is in bronze on a polished stone ashlar base, 1861)

September 2011


Spilsby, John Franklin statue
Franklin, John - statue inscription
Franklin, John - statue inscription
Franklin, John - statue inscription

Detail of the lettering on the Franklin statue in Spilsby Market Place.

September 2011

Spilsby, Sir John Franklin statue
Spilsby, High Street
Spilsby, High Street
Spilsby, High Street

Spilsby is a market town in the East Lindsey district of Lincolnshire.

The explorer Sir John Franklin was a native.

A branch line to the town from Firsby junction on the East Lincolnshire main line ran from 1868 to 1958.

This view looks west with the White Hart in the right background.

undated postcard

Spilsby, John Franklin, White Hart
Spilsby, High Street
Spilsby, High Street
Spilsby, High Street

View of the High Street looking east.

Morton the printer had their main base and print works in Horncastle, with smaller branches in Louth and Spilsby.

postcard, 1906

Spilsby, High Street, W K Morton
Spilsby, Methodist Church
Spilsby, Methodist Church
Spilsby, Methodist Church

The Methodist Chapel in Spilsby (originally the Wesleyan Chapel) has a prominent location at the east end of the Market Place.

It was built in 1878 by Charles Bell of stock brick with Geometrical tracery, a typical town chapel of its period.

July 2014

Spilsby, Methodist Church, Charles Bell
Spilsby, Methodist Church, capital
Spilsby, Methodist Church, capital
Spilsby, Methodist Church, capital

The gallery in the Methodist Church is supported by iron piers, each with a decorated floral capital.

July 2014

Spilsby, Methodist Church capital
Spilsby, Methodist Church, interior
Spilsby, Methodist Church, interior
Spilsby, Methodist Church, interior

Spilsby Methodist Church, in common with other chapels of the period, has a large encircling gallery.

The fixed pews are made of pine.

July 2014

Spilsby, gallery, interior, Methodist Church chapel
Spilsby, St James
Spilsby, St James
Spilsby, St James

Close to Spilsby market place, the church of St. James looks Victorian and unpromising from the outside.

Inside, the chancel and two arcades are fourteenth century.

The real glories of the church can be found in the Willoughby chapel. Its monuments to the Willoughby and Bertie families were from the lost house in nearby Eresby which date from 1348 to 1610.

They are in a variety of styles: brasses, alabaster effigies and tombs.

Mark Acton

Spilsby, St James, Willoughby, Bertie, Eresby,
Spilsby, St James
Spilsby, St James
Spilsby, St James

The south aisle and chancel of St James's were rebuilt by W Bassett Smith in 1879.

September 2011

Spilsby, St James church, W Bassett Smith
Spilsby, St James
Spilsby, St James
Spilsby, St James

The view of the church from the north-east shows the contrast between the 19th century restoration and the medieval tower.

In the near corner of the building is the chapel which holds the Willoughby and Bertie monuments.

September 2011

Spilsby, St James church
Spilsby, St James
Spilsby, St James
Spilsby, St James

The tower, constructed in local greenstone, has Perpendicular bell openings and eight large pinnacles.

September 2011

Spilsby, St James church
Spilsby, St James
Spilsby, St James
Spilsby, St James

View from the south-east. The south aisle was added by Bassett Smith in 1879.

September 2015

Spilsby, St James church
Spilsby, St James
Spilsby, St James
Spilsby, St James

View of St James's church from the south.

undated postcard

Spilsby, St James
Spilsby, St James, memorial
Spilsby, St James, memorial
Spilsby, St James, memorial

The (much restored) alabaster monument to Robert, 3rd baron Willoughby (d ?1396) and his wife.  The 3rd lord is said to have fought in France with the Black Prince.

Frank Robinson, 2011

Spilsby, St James church, Robert Willoughby
Spilsby, St James, memorial
Spilsby, St James, memorial
Spilsby, St James, memorial

Monument to John, third Baron Willoughby, died 1372.

He distinguished himself in the Battle of Poitiers in 1356.

September 2011

Spilsby, St James church, monument, John Baron Willoughby, Poitiers
Spilsby, St James, memorial
Spilsby, St James, memorial
Spilsby, St James, memorial

The (much restored) alabaster monument to Robert, 4th Baron Willoughby (d ?1396) and his wife.  It is said that he fought in France with the Black Prince.

September 2011

Spilsby, St James church, Robert Baron Willoughby
Spilsby, St James, memorial
Spilsby, St James, memorial
Spilsby, St James, memorial

Lion foot rest for Robert, Third Baron Willoughby.

September 2011

Spilsby, St James church
Spilsby, St James, memorial
Spilsby, St James, memorial
Spilsby, St James, memorial

The grandiose memorial to Richard Bertie (d 1582) and his wife Catherine (nee Willoughby d 1580).

Catherine had Lincolnshire houses at nearby Eresby and at Grimsthorpe Castle, and was Duchess of Suffolk through her previous marriage to Charles Brandon, the prominent Tudor magnate.

September 2011

Spilsby, St James church, Richard Bertie, Catherine Willoughby, Eresby House, Grimsthorpe Castle, Ch
Spilsby, St James, memorial
Spilsby, St James, memorial
Spilsby, St James, memorial
Detail from the Bertie/Willoughby memorial: a green man.
Spilsby, St James church
Spilsby, St James, memorial
Spilsby, St James, memorial
Spilsby, St James, memorial
Spilsby, St James church
Spilsby, St James, memorial
Spilsby, St James, memorial
Spilsby, St James, memorial

Memorial in memory of Captain Sir John Franklin, born in Spilsby 16 April 1786, died in the Arctic seas 11 June 1847, while in command of the expedition which first discovered the north-west passage.

September 2011

Spilsby, St James church, John Franklin, north-west passage
Spilsby, St James, window
Spilsby, St James, window
Spilsby, St James, window

The east window at St James' with reticulated tracery dating from c.1350.

September 2011

Spilsby, St James church
Spilsby, The Avenue
Spilsby, The Avenue
Spilsby, The Avenue

About one mile south-west of the town was Eresby Hall, home of the Willoughby family.

The house was destroyed by fire in 1769. This is the fine avenue leading south from the Spilsby-Hundleby road.

postcard printed and published by W K Morton in Spilsby.

Spilsby, The Avenue, Eresby Hall, Willoughby, W K Morton