Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Stainfield
 
Stainfield, St Andrew
Stainfield, St Andrew
Stainfield, St Andrew

St Andrew's is a small red brick church with an elegant, slender tower.

It was built in 1711 for the Tyrwhitts, whose family seat was nearby.

An unusual feature inside is the set of embroidered biblical texts worked by the Tyrwhitt ladies for the opening of the church.

October 2011

Stainfield, St Andrew, church, Tyrwhitt
Stainfield, St Andrew
Stainfield, St Andrew
Stainfield, St Andrew

The materials used for St Andrew's are red brick lain in Flemish bond and limestone.

The tower has an ogee cap.

September 2015

Stainfield, St Andrew church
Stainfield, St Andrew, brackets
Stainfield, St Andrew, brackets
Stainfield, St Andrew, brackets

This unusual assemblage of wrought iron brackets is high on the north (east) wall at the front of the church.

The long straight brackets supported banners or flags.  The lower bracket is designed for a hanging oil lamp.

September 2015

Stainfield, St Andrew church, brackets
Stainfield, St Andrew, doorway
Stainfield, St Andrew, doorway
Stainfield, St Andrew, doorway

The doorway, midway along the south (actually west, because of the odd orientation of the building) has a fine open segmental pediment on brackets.

September 2015

Stainfield, St Andrew church, doorway
Stainfield, St Andrew, interior
Stainfield, St Andrew, interior
Stainfield, St Andrew, interior

Internal view looking west (actually north).

In the foreground on the left is the font. On the rear wall are two boards inscribed with the ten commandments.

September 2015

Stainfield, St Andrew church, ten commandments
Stainfield, St Andrew, war memorial
Stainfield, St Andrew, war memorial
Stainfield, St Andrew, war memorial

This board with gilt lettering carries the names of all the local men who served in the First World War.

September 2015

Stainfield, St Andrew war memrial