Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Stainton le Vale
 
Stainton le Vale, Manor Farm Buildings
Stainton le Vale, Manor Farm Buildings
Stainton le Vale, Manor Farm Buildings

A range of farm buildings constructed from Claxby ironstone. The farm is part of the Sutton Estates and the building is painted in their estate colour, red.

Jean Howard, 12 March 2022

Stainton le Vale, Manor Farm, Sutton Estates
Stainton le Vale, Methodist Chapel
Stainton le Vale, Methodist Chapel
Stainton le Vale, Methodist Chapel

The chapel has been used as the village hall for many years, but according to text displayed in the church, has now fallen out of use.
 
The Primitive Methodists built this chapel in 1893; it closed for worship in 1933.
 
This building is a relatively cheap construction of timber with corrugated iron roof and wall cladding, probably supplied to a standard design by Boulton & Paul of Norwich.
 
Other Lincolnshire examples of this type of construction in non-domestic use survive at Linwood (derelict Methodist chapel), Pointon (Christ Church, C of E), Heighington (village hall) and Woodhall Spa (museum).

Jean Howard, 12 March 2022

Stainton le Vale, Primitive Methodist Chapel, corrugated iron
Stainton le Vale, Methodist Chapel Window
Stainton le Vale, Methodist Chapel Window
Stainton le Vale, Methodist Chapel Window

A variety of glass has been used for the windows, but these two panels of thin obscured glass are patterned with crosses and almost certainly survive from the period when this was a chapel.

A very basic timber construction with the simplest of tracery, but an 'ecclesiastical' window for all that.

Jean Howard, 12 March 2022

Stainton le Vale, Methodist Chapel Window
Stainton le Vale, Methodist Chapel
Stainton le Vale, Methodist Chapel
Stainton le Vale, Methodist Chapel

The corrugated iron village hall was erected as a chapel for the Primitive Methodists in 1893. The last service was held in the building in 1933 before its change of use.

Pearl Wheatley, 2012

Stainton le Vale, Primitive Methodist Chapel, village hall
Stainton le Vale, Old Rectory
Stainton le Vale, Old Rectory
Stainton le Vale, Old Rectory

A substantial yellow brick house in large south-facing grounds at the western edge of the village.

Jean Howard, 12 March 2022

Stainton le Vale, Old Rectory
Stainton le Vale, Phonebox
Stainton le Vale, Phonebox
Stainton le Vale, Phonebox

Surely a rare survival in 2022 – a newly painted phone box with a working telephone. The village is, as its name suggests, in a deep valley with limited mobile phone reception. 
 
Jean Howard, 12 March 2022

Stainton le Vale, phonebox
Stainton le Vale, South Farmhouse
Stainton le Vale, South Farmhouse
Stainton le Vale, South Farmhouse

This Grade 2 Listed farmhouse dates from the late eighteenth century. It is built of coursed ironstone rubble.

Pearl Wheatley, 2012

Stainton le Vale, South Farmhouse
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew

‘A charmingly secluded hamlet in the Wolds’ – Pevsner.

The church of St Andrew, Stainton-le-Vale, has lost a south aisle and its original east end.

What is left dates to the early fourteenth-century though there is a now obscured Norman north doorway.

Mark Acton, 2014

Stainton le Vale, St Andrew
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew

View from the north.

June 2014

Stainton le Vale, St Andrew
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew

View from the east.

June 2014

Stainton le Vale, St Andrew
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew

The west porch and the west doorway are triple chamfered and date from about 1300.

June 2014

Stainton le Vale, St Andrew
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew

Another (earlier) view of St Andrew's from the south-east.

Peter Kirk Collection, 1991

Stainton le Vale, St Andrew
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew

It can be seen that the north wall of the tower is substantially buttressed, and another buttress secures the north east corner of the building.
 
The projecting 1912 addition, formerly the vestry, is now the boiler room into which access could not be obtained: within is a simple Norman doorway.
 
The churchyard is beautifully kept and there were drifts of snowdrops at the eastern edge.

Jean Howard, 12 March 2022

Stainton le Vale, Saint Andrew Church Image
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew

Bright sunlight picks out the outline of the blocked south arcade.

The church is Grade II listed 

Jean Howard, 12 March 2022

Stainton le Vale, Saint Andrew Church Image
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew, Churchyard Railings
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew, Churchyard Railings
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew, Churchyard Railings

A fine set of railings and double gate painted in the red also seen at the nearby Sutton Estate’s Manor Farm.

Jean Howard, 12 March 2022

Stainton le Vale, Saint Andrew Churchyard railings Image
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew, Detail
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew, Detail
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew, Detail

The very truncated nature of the present church can be appreciated at the east end where the columns which supported the chancel arch are incorporated into the present east wall.
 
This one is considerably more vertical than its northern counterpart.

Jean Howard, 12 March 2022

Stainton le Vale, Saint Andrew Church Image
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew, Font
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew, Font
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew, Font

A slender black marble column supports an octagonal bowl.

Jean Howard, 12 March 2022

Stainton le Vale, Saint Andrew Church Image font
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew, Interior
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew, Interior
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew, Interior

The interior of this little building is bright and well-cared for.

Jean Howard, 12 March 2022

Stainton le Vale, Saint Andrew Church Image
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew, Lectern (Hanson)
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew, Lectern (Hanson)
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew, Lectern (Hanson)

The brass eagle lectern has an inscription around the conical lower section.

This reads: IN LOVING MEMORY OF OUR PARENTS/ MARGARET ELLEN HANSON/ AND REV. WILLIAM HANSON/ RECTOR OF STAINTON-LE-VALE/ FROM 1875 TO 1895

Jean Howard, 12 March 2022

Stainton le Vale, Saint Andrew Church Image lectern, William Hanson, Margaret Ellen Hanson
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew, Painting
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew, Painting
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew, Painting

This painting is one of a series of seven religious works of art that were given about 30 years ago to the local churches.
 
They came from the demolished Victorian church of St Paul at Burton on Trent in Staffordshire. Others are displayed at Claxby St Mary, Normanby le Wold and South Kelsey.
 
This depicts Christ kneeling attended by an angel with a chalice. To the left is St Cecilia, the patroness of music, with an organ, while on the right is St Ambrose, Bishop of Milan.
 
The painting has been restored in memory of Elizabeth Ann Key (1961-71).

Jean Howard, 12 March 2022

Stainton le Vale, Saint Andrew Church Image painting, Elizabeth Ann Key
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew, Photograph (Killick)
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew, Photograph (Killick)
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew, Photograph (Killick)

This photograph is displayed in the church. It shows Isaac Killick, one of the local young men killed on active service in the First World War. From the rows of tents shown, it would appear this photograph was taken at a training camp.
 
Isaac was born in the third quarter of 1898 at Hasthorpe, a hamlet in Welton le Marsh. He was the eldest son of farm labourer George Killick and his wife Annie.
 
Isaac enlisted in Louth, joined the 6th Battalion, Lincolnshire Regiment and was killed in the France/Flanders region on 27 November 1916 aged just18.

Jean Howard, 12 March 2022

Stainton le Vale, Isaac Killick, Hasthorpe,
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew, Pulpit
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew, Pulpit
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew, Pulpit

The pulpit is one of the fittings that date from a restoration in 1886.

Jean Howard, 12 March 2022

Stainton le Vale, Saint Andrew Church Image pulpit
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew, Sanctuary
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew, Sanctuary
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew, Sanctuary

The panelling and rails date from the 1886 restoration but the east window from a further refurbishment in 1913.

Jean Howard, 12 March 2022

Stainton le Vale, Saint Andrew Church Image
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew, South Arcade
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew, South Arcade
Stainton le Vale, St Andrew, South Arcade

The blocked arcade of the south aisle is clear, the pillars originally of four lobed cross section indicating they date from c 1300.

Jean Howard, 12 March 2022

Stainton le Vale, Saint Andrew Church
Stainton le Vale, War Memorial
Stainton le Vale, War Memorial
Stainton le Vale, War Memorial

At the outbreak of war the whole parish was in the ownership of the Drakes family of Stainton Hall.
 
The majority of the seven men whose names are shown here were employees on the land.
 
It was Joseph Harold Drakes who had the memorial built in 1928. The metal cradle on the top originally held a lantern.
 
The text reads as follows:
TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF THIS PARISH/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1918/ CHARLES ADDISON  
FRED CARROTT/ JOHN WILLIAM FOGG/ GEORGE HENRY HODSON/ 
CHARLES JOHNSON/ ISAAC KILLICK/ REUBEN NEAVE/ "HE THAT BELIEVETH IN ME, THOUGH/ HE WERE DEAD YET SHALL HE LIVE”
 
Jean Howard, 12 March 2022

Stainton le Vale, Saint Andrew Churchyard Image war memorial