Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Stickney
 
Stickney West Houses, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Stickney West Houses, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Stickney West Houses, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

A relatively short-lived place of worship, this chapel was erected in 1866 and services were discontinued in 1907.

The chapel was sold in 1913 and the building remained roofless and half demolished for over 80 years.

It is located at NGR TF 337 542 on thew southern edge of Stickney parish where it adjoins Sibsey parish.

Barry Barton, 1977

Stickney West Houses Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Stickney, Donnerís Mill (1)
Stickney, Donnerís Mill (1)
Stickney, Donnerís Mill (1)

This mill was built in 1845 for William Balderston.

Jon Sass Collection, undated photograph

Stickney, Donner's Mill, windmill, Jon Sass, William Balderston
Stickney, Donnerís Mill (2)
Stickney, Donnerís Mill (2)
Stickney, Donnerís Mill (2)

Milling by wind ended at Donner's Mill in 1952 but continued for a while under engine power.

Location of mill: TF 345 569

Peter Kirk Collection, 1998

Stickney, Donner's Mill, windmill, Peter Kirk
Stickney, Railway Station
Stickney, Railway Station
Stickney, Railway Station

Stickney station opened with what was known as the ĎNew Lineí, between Coningsby Junction and Bellwater Junction, in 1913.

Built by the Great Northern Railway with a double track, in 1916 the GNR Board agreed to lift one line of rails to assist the war effort. This happened on several branch lines nationwide with the rails destined for use in France.

The missing track was reinstated in 1923.

This station lost its goods service in 1964, became unstaffed in 1968 and the line and station closed in 1970.

Peter Grey Archive, 1970

Stickney, railway station
Stickney, St Luke
Stickney, St Luke
Stickney, St Luke

The nave arcades are Early English whilst the tower is Perpendicular though lowered and restored in the late nineteenth century.

The chancel of 1853 is by William Butterfield, who added the clerestory two years later.

Mark Acton, 2017

Stickney, William Butterfield
Stickney, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Stickney, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Stickney, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

The third chapel in the village opened in November 1857.

When the chapel became unsafe the adjoining Sunday schoolroom was used for services.

The final service was held in July 1974 and the building was sold in 1977 and demolished soon after.

A bungalow now occupies the chapel site.

It is located at NGR TF 344 569.

Barry Barton, 1977

Stickney, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel