Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Tetney
 
Tetney Lock, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Tetney Lock, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Tetney Lock, Primitive Methodist Chapel

The former Primitive Methodist chapel opened in 1864 and closed in 1954. It is now a dwelling, ‘The Old Chapel House’.

June 2012

Tetney, Lock, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Tetney, St Peter & St Paul
Tetney, St Peter & St Paul
Tetney, St Peter & St Paul

St Peter and St Paul’s is a large church dating largely from the 14th and 15th centuries, with some rebuilding and restoration by R.J. Withers in 1862.

The grey of the limestone tower contrasts with the ironstone of the rest of the building.

June 2015

Tetney, St Peter & St Paul church, R J Withers
Tetney, St Peter & St Paul
Tetney, St Peter & St Paul
Tetney, St Peter & St Paul

Built of limestone ashlar, the tall 15th century tower has an attractive ogee hood over the paired bell openings.

Above are battlements, gargoyles and pinnacles - a very satisfactory composition.

September 2015

Tetney, St Peter & St Paul church
Tetney, St Peter & St Paul
Tetney, St Peter & St Paul
Tetney, St Peter & St Paul

The south aisle, like the nave arcades, is 14th century.

(One of the piers has the inscription ‘This work was completed AD1363’).

R.J.Withers rebuilt the chancel in 1862.

June 2015

Tetney, St Peter & St Paul church, R J Withers
Tetney, St Peter & St Paul, window
Tetney, St Peter & St Paul, window
Tetney, St Peter & St Paul, window

Both north and south aisles have square-headed Perpendicular windows.

While some of the tracery is original 14th century work, much dates from the 19th century restoration.

June 2015

Tetney, St Peter & St Paul church, window