Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Thorpe St Peter
 
Thorpe Bank, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Thorpe Bank, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Thorpe Bank, Primitive Methodist Chapel

The first chapel on this site was built in 1858, seated 70 and cost £60. After a destructive fire it was replaced by a new building in 1874.

The last service of worship took place in 1970 and the building was later converted into a house.

It is located at NGR TF 422 607 on edge of Thorpe St Peter parish where it borders Halton Holegate parish.

Barry Barton, 1978

Thorpe St Peter, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Thorpe Fendykes, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Thorpe Fendykes, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Thorpe Fendykes, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

The chapel at Thorpe Fendykes was opened in 1923 at a cost of £2000, mainly raise by local small holders.

It was built by Mr J Dean of Burgh le Marsh and was still in use in the 1990s.

It is located at NGR TF 452 605 in Thorpe St Peter parish.

Barry Barton, 1977

Thorpe St Peter, Fendyke Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Thorpe Fendykes, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Thorpe Fendykes, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Thorpe Fendykes, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

This photograph is thought to have been taken in front of the first Wesleyan Chapel, which seated only 50 and was built here in 1838.

It was demolished in 1920s and the site is now occupied by a large barn.

It is located at NGR TF 451604 in Thorpe St Peter parish - also known as Thorpe St Peter Fen.

Photo of chapel members c.1900

Thorpe St Peter,
Thorpe St Peter, Church
Thorpe St Peter, Church
Thorpe St Peter, Church

The eponymous church of Thorpe St Peter is built largely in the Decorated style.

It is a small and friendly place and is the home of a colony of bats.

Mark Acton

Thorpe St Peter, Church
Thorpe St Peter, church
Thorpe St Peter, church
Thorpe St Peter, church

The view of St Peter's from the north-west makes clear the tilting of the tower to the west.

The windows of the clerestory are plain and rectangular ('rough and without pretence', says Pevsner), the work of James Fowler in his 1886-87 restoration.

July 2016

Thorpe St Peter, church
Thorpe St Peter, church
Thorpe St Peter, church
Thorpe St Peter, church

The tower of St Peter's, built of greenstone and limestone like many others in this part of the county, has typical bell-openings.

July 2016

Thorpe St Peter, church
Thorpe St Peter, church chancel screen
Thorpe St Peter, church chancel screen
Thorpe St Peter, church chancel screen

The screen has one-light divisions, each with round arches with ogee arches over and panelled tracery.

July 2016

Thorpe St Peter, church, chancel screen
Thorpe St Peter, church font
Thorpe St Peter, church font
Thorpe St Peter, church font

The font is of the Early English period, with trefoiled arches on colonnettes.

There four heads against the underside of the font.

July 2016

Thorpe St Peter, font
Thorpe St Peter, church pulpit
Thorpe St Peter, church pulpit
Thorpe St Peter, church pulpit

This is a Jacobean pulpit in oak, complete with original door. It has panelled sides and arabesques.

July 2016

Thorpe St Peter, church, pulpit
Thorpe St Peter, church roof
Thorpe St Peter, church roof
Thorpe St Peter, church roof

The nave roof is an unsophisticated structure of tie-beams and queen posts. It dates from the Perpendicular period.

On the wall (above the chancel arch) are Royal Arms of the eigthteenth century.

July 2016

Thorpe St Peter, church, Royal Arms
Thorpe St Peter, church window
Thorpe St Peter, church window
Thorpe St Peter, church window

This window in Perpendicular style dates from the 1866-67 restoration by Fowler.

July 2016

Thorpe St Peter, church, window
Thorpe St Peter, war memorial
Thorpe St Peter, war memorial
Thorpe St Peter, war memorial

The memorial to the men of the parish who served in the First World War stands in the churchyard.

It was made by J T Turner & Sons of Wainfleet and unveiled by Major Henry George Maddison of Partney Hall on 15 August 1920.

July 2016

Thorpe St Peter, war memorial, J T Turner & Sons, Major Henry George Maddison