Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Thurlby by Bourne
 
Thurlby, Church Hall
Thurlby, Church Hall
Thurlby, Church Hall

Former Sunday School now the church hall.

DB 17 November 2018

Thurlby, Saint Firmin, Church Hall
Thurlby, Church Hall
Thurlby, Church Hall
Thurlby, Church Hall

Difficult to make out the inscription but In the center the second and third lines might be

"SCHOOL

MDCCCLIII" 

round the outer edge it might say 

"TRAIN UP A CHILD IN THE WAY HE SHOULD GO"

"ENLARGED 1901" 

DB 17 November 2018

Thurlby, Saint Firmin, Church Hall
Thurlby, Cottage, 18 High Street
Thurlby, Cottage, 18 High Street
Thurlby, Cottage, 18 High Street

"Cottage. C17, with C20 alterations.

Timber frame originally, now underbuilt in stone, rendered.

Half hipped thatched roof"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1165556 

DB 17 November 2018

Thurlby, Cottage
Thurlby, Free Methodist Chapel, Northorpe Lane
Thurlby, Free Methodist Chapel, Northorpe Lane
Thurlby, Free Methodist Chapel, Northorpe Lane

Former Free Methodist Chapel now a private house.

Colin Shepherdson in A Brief History of the Bourne Circuit states that :-

"A Society was formed circa 1851 and a private chapel, built for and let to the Reformers, situated in Crown Lane was opened on the 27.7.1851.

The Society built their own chapel, known as Top Chapel and situated at the junction of Northorpe Lane and The Green in 1861" 

"A school room was erected at the tear of the chapel in 1903 and the organ was rebuilt in 1960.

The last service was held in October 1974 and the chapel subsequently used as a workshop but then in 1995 converted into a dwelling "Kirktom House". 

DB 17 November 2018

Thurlby, Free Methodist Chapel
Thurlby, Free Methodist Chapel, Northorpe Lane
Thurlby, Free Methodist Chapel, Northorpe Lane
Thurlby, Free Methodist Chapel, Northorpe Lane

Inscription reads

"FREE

METHODIST

CHAPEL 1861" 

DB 17 November 2018

Thurlby, Free Methodist Chapel
Thurlby, St Firmin
Thurlby, St Firmin
Thurlby, St Firmin

A substantial building, St Firminís incorporates 400 years of stonework.

The nave arcades are 12th century, chancel and transepts 13th century, and the traceried windows and clerestory date from the 14th and 15th centuries.

September 2014

Thurlby by Bourne, St Firmin church
Thurlby, St Firmin
Thurlby, St Firmin
Thurlby, St Firmin

The lower stages of the tower date from the 11th and 12th centuries and constitute the oldest part of the church.  The top stage and the short spire are 14th century in date.

September 2014

Thurlby by Bourne, St Firmin church
Thurlby, St Firmin
Thurlby, St Firmin
Thurlby, St Firmin

"Parish church. Cll, C12, c.1200, early C13, C14, C15.

Restored 1856"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1062615 

Viewed from the east. 

DB 17 November 2018

Thurlby, Saint Firmin, Church
Thurlby, St Firmin
Thurlby, St Firmin
Thurlby, St Firmin

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"The church of St. Firmin is a cruciform building in the Norman and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, transepts, north and south porches and a tower, with spire, containing 5 bells:

the nave, including the arcades, is chiefly Norman, as is also part of the chancel, which has a richly-designed piscina with a canopy:

both transepts were used as chapels and each has a hagioscope:

the porches are Early English, the south porch having a Norman, doorway:

the tower partakes of both styles:

the font, of Norman date, is cylindrical, and there is some oak screenwork:

the stained east window was presented in 1860 by the late T. Cooke Hubbard esq.:

the church was restored in 1856, when a reredos of carved stone, the work of Mr. R. Tinkler, jun. was erected"

DB 17 November 2018

Thurlby, Saint Firmin, Church
Thurlby, St Firmin, North Porch
Thurlby, St Firmin, North Porch
Thurlby, St Firmin, North Porch

"The gabled porch has a double chamfered outer arch with shafted reveals, side benches and a chamfered inner order"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1062615 

DB 17 November 2018

Thurlby, Saint Firmin, Church, North Porch
Thurlby, St Firmin, North Porch
Thurlby, St Firmin, North Porch
Thurlby, St Firmin, North Porch

Tomb slab standing inside the north porch.

DB 17 November 2018

Thurlby, Saint Firmin, Church, North Porch
Thurlby, St Firmin, North Porch, Royal Arms
Thurlby, St Firmin, North Porch, Royal Arms
Thurlby, St Firmin, North Porch, Royal Arms

Royal Arms inside north porch.

DB 17 November 2018

Thurlby, Saint Firmin, Church, Royal Arms, Porch
Thurlby, St Firmin, South Porch
Thurlby, St Firmin, South Porch
Thurlby, St Firmin, South Porch

"The gabled C13 south porch has a continuously moulded outer arch with flanking stepped buttresses and above a trefoil headed niche"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1062615 

DB 17 November 2018

Thurlby, Saint Firmin, Church, Porch
Thurlby, The Horseshoe, Peterborough Road
Thurlby, The Horseshoe, Peterborough Road
Thurlby, The Horseshoe, Peterborough Road

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1885 mentions four public houses and one beer retailer :-

Andrew Jn, Horse Shoe inn, & rat catcher

Cook Robert, Five Bells P.H

Fairchild Joseph, Bell inn

Smith Elizabeth Ann (Mrs.), Crown inn

Stevenson Hy. butcher & beer retailer

DB 17 November 2018

Thurlby, The Horseshoe, Public House
Thurlby, Village Sign
Thurlby, Village Sign
Thurlby, Village Sign

Plaque on opposite side "To Commemorate the passing of the Olympic Torch through the village on the 4th July 2012".

Presumably the sign itself was put in place to celebrate the millennium - dated "MM".

DB 17 November 2018 

Thurlby, Village Sign, Olympic torch, millennium
Thurlby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, High Street
Thurlby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, High Street
Thurlby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, High Street

This, the former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, was built in 1912 at a cost of £800 with seating for 350.

September 2014

Thurlby by Bourne, Methodist Chapel
Thurlby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, High Street
Thurlby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, High Street
Thurlby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, High Street

Colin Shepherdson in A Brief History of the Bourne Circuit states that :-

"i) A chapel was opened in June 1832 and stood in the High Street nearly opposite the present one.

The last service was held on the 10.11.1912 and was sold December 1912 for use as a barn but has since been demolished.

ii) The stone laying for the new chapel, on a new site on the corner of High Street and Chapel Lane, occurred on the 12.6.1912 and the opening took place in November of the same year.

The architect was William Hinson of Stamford.

The foundation stone for a new hall, added to the rear of the chapel, was laid on the 12.3.1977 and the hall opened on the 8.10.1977"

DB 17 November 2018

Thurlby, Wesleyan, Methodist, Chapel, William Hinson
Thurlby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, High Street
Thurlby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, High Street
Thurlby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, High Street

Inscription on the side of the chapel - M.C. presumably stands for Methodist Chapel with 1912 being the date of foundation. 

Colin Shepherdson in A Brief History of the Bourne Circuit states

"The stone laying for the new chapel, on a new site on the corner of High Street and Chapel Lane, occurred on the 12.6.1912 and the opening took place in November of the same year"  

DB 17 November 2018

Thurlby, Wesleyan, Methodist, Chapel
Thurlby, Youth Hostel, 16 High Street
Thurlby, Youth Hostel, 16 High Street
Thurlby, Youth Hostel, 16 High Street

"YHA Thurlby is a 15th century former village forge, complete with a lovely lawned garden and orchard.

The homely hostel is full of character and features both Victorian and Georgian additions to the building"

https://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/yha-thurlby 

DB 17 November 2018 

Thurlby, Youth Hostel
Thurlby, Youth Hostel, 16 High Street
Thurlby, Youth Hostel, 16 High Street
Thurlby, Youth Hostel, 16 High Street

Notice on wall outside the Youth Hostel.

DB 17 November 2018 

 

Thurlby by Bourne, Youth Hostel