Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Utterby
 
Utterby, Free Methodist Chapel
Utterby, Free Methodist Chapel
Utterby, Free Methodist Chapel

The former Free Methodist / United Methodist chapel on Chapel Lane opened in 1854.

September 2020

Utterby, Free United Methodist Chapel
Utterby, Free Methodist Chapel
Utterby, Free Methodist Chapel
Utterby, Free Methodist Chapel

The date plaque for the former Free Methodist Chapel.

September 2020

Utterby, Methodist Chapel
Utterby, Manor House
Utterby, Manor House
Utterby, Manor House

Early C18 house but much altered circa 1900.

Re-positioned coat of arms inserted above the central window. Dated 1639 and probably that of the Elye family.

DB 11 December 2015 

Utterby, Manor House, Elye
Utterby, Packhorse Bridge
Utterby, Packhorse Bridge
Utterby, Packhorse Bridge

C14 bridge used by packhorses which were the main form of overland transport in the middle ages.

Particularly important for transport of wool to the coast and salt inland.

May have been constructed by the nearby Gilbertine Priory at North Ormsby. They held the living of Saint Andrew's Church, Utterby and derived much profit from the wool trade.

DB 1 April 2018

Utterby, Packhorse Bridge, Gilbertine, Wool, Salt
Utterby, Rectory
Utterby, Rectory
Utterby, Rectory

Undated postcard.

"Former rectory, now house. 1863 by James Fowler of Louth"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1359964 

White's Directory of Lincolnshire 1872 states "The rectory, valued in K.B. at £3, and now at £220, is in the gift of the trustees of the Rev. T. E. Norris, and incumbency of the Rev. Arthur Robert Pennington, M.A., who is a diocesan inspector of schools, and has a good rectory house, in the Elizabethan style, built in 1864, at a cost of £850.

There is only a rood of glebe land in Utterby, but there are five acres belonging to it at Scamblesby, purchased years ago with an augmentation grant made by the Governors of Queen Anne's Bounty"

Utterby, Rectory, James Fowler
Utterby, St Andrew
Utterby, St Andrew
Utterby, St Andrew

Built of chalk and ironstone, St Andrew’s largely dates from the 14th and 15th centuries.

Window tracery is Perpendicular in style, some original and some 19th century replacement.

April 2015

Utterby, St Andrew church
Utterby, St Andrew
Utterby, St Andrew
Utterby, St Andrew

The chalk lower stages of the tower are 14th century, while the ironstone top stage is 19th century work.

The nave and porch are 15th century.

April 2015

Utterby, St Andrew church
Utterby, St Andrew
Utterby, St Andrew
Utterby, St Andrew

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire states :-

"The church of St. Andrew is a building of stone in the Decorated and Late Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, north aisle, south chapel, south porch and a western tower of three stages, erected about 1340, with a plain parapet and containing 3 bells:

the south doorway is well moulded and its jambs are enriched with carvings of an ape bearing away a child and a fox carrying off a goose, and a man with a monkey by a string; above it is a rich canopy; the door still retains some excellent ironwork, and in the chancel is a piscina, an aumbry and a statue bracket :

some fragments of ancient glass remain in the windows:

the new oak choir stalls were given by Miss Pennington in memory of Canon Pennington, her father, rector here for 45 years:

the carved oak reredos, altar rails, panelling and screen were presented in 1910 by the present rector and his wife :

in the wall of the north aisle is now placed a large slab, in the upper part of which is a very deeply cut elongated quatrefoil inclosing the bust of a priest in chasuble and amice, with his hands conjoined in prayer, and round the slab is an inscription to William de Cumberworth, formerly vicar here, but without date:

there are sittings for 140 persons:

the lower portion of the churchyard cross remains"

DB 8 September 2019

Utterby, Saint Andrew, church
Utterby, St Andrew, Chancel
Utterby, St Andrew, Chancel
Utterby, St Andrew, Chancel

Looking towards the C15 chancel east window.

White's Directory of Lincolnshire 1856 states :-

"The Rev. Thos. Elye, is lord of the manor, improprietor and patron of the Church (St. Andrew,) which is a small structure, with a tower, nave, north aisle, chancel, and south chapel; and contains several monuments of the Harrold family.

One of its three Stained glass windows is in memory of the late Miss Harrold.

The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £3, and now at £111, is in the incumbency of the Rev. Arthur Robert Pennington, M.A., of Louth"

DB 8 September 2019

Utterby, Saint Andrew, church
Utterby, St Andrew, Chancel, Organ
Utterby, St Andrew, Chancel, Organ
Utterby, St Andrew, Chancel, Organ

Makers plate reads "Harston & Son, Newark".

DB 8 September 2019

Utterby, Saint Andrew, church, organ, Harston & Son
Utterby, St Andrew, Chancel, Sanctuary
Utterby, St Andrew, Chancel, Sanctuary
Utterby, St Andrew, Chancel, Sanctuary

More detailed view of the sanctuary.

"In the chancel is a C14 piscina with cusped ogee head and on the north side a square aumbry and statue bracket"

"Fittings are all C19"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063086 

DB 8 September 2019

Utterby, Saint Andrew, church
Utterby, St Andrew, Chancel, Window
Utterby, St Andrew, Chancel, Window
Utterby, St Andrew, Chancel, Window

The chancel has 15th century windows, including this window in the south wall of the chancel.The three-light east window is also Perpendicular in style.

April 2015

Utterby, St Andrew church, window
Utterby, St Andrew, Churchyard, Cross base
Utterby, St Andrew, Churchyard, Cross base
Utterby, St Andrew, Churchyard, Cross base

C14 cross base on the south side of Saint Andrew's church. 

DB 1 April 2018

Utterby, Cross Base
Utterby, St Andrew, Nave
Utterby, St Andrew, Nave
Utterby, St Andrew, Nave

The interior has a 15th century north arcade with a richly carved 14th century canopy at the east end.

The chancel arch, piscina and font  are also 14th century. All other furnishings are 19th century - apart from the delightful paper models of angels

April 2015

Utterby, St Andrew church, interior
Utterby, St Andrew, Nave
Utterby, St Andrew, Nave
Utterby, St Andrew, Nave

Looking west towards the C14 tower arch.

DB 8 September 2019

Utterby, Saint Andrew, church
Utterby, St Andrew, Nave, angel figure
Utterby, St Andrew, Nave, angel figure
Utterby, St Andrew, Nave, angel figure

One of the superb paper model angels hanging in the nave of St Andrew's church. Created by Martin Pridgeon, they formed a unique decoration for Christmas 2012.

April 2015

Utterby, St Andrew church, angel decoration, Martin Pridgeon
Utterby, St Andrew, Nave, North Arcade
Utterby, St Andrew, Nave, North Arcade
Utterby, St Andrew, Nave, North Arcade

"At the east end of the north arcade is a richly carved reset C14 canopy, presumably from a statue niche.

It is of octagonal form with cusped ogee arches, a ribbed underside and moulded and embattled top"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063086 

DB 8 September 2019

Utterby, Saint Andrew, church
Utterby, St Andrew, North Aisle, Font
Utterby, St Andrew, North Aisle, Font
Utterby, St Andrew, North Aisle, Font

"recut C14 font, with drain"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063086 

DB 8 September 2019

Utterby, Saint Andrew, church, font
Utterby, St Andrew, North Aisle, grave slab
Utterby, St Andrew, North Aisle, grave slab
Utterby, St Andrew, North Aisle, grave slab

In the north aisle is this limestone ledger stone with a sunk relief of a priest wearing vestments and with hands clasped in prayer.

The inscription identifies him as Gilbert de Cumberworth, d 1373.

April 2015

Utterby, St Andrew, grave slab, Gilbert de Cumberworth, ledger stone
Utterby, St Andrew, North Aisle, Hatchment
Utterby, St Andrew, North Aisle, Hatchment
Utterby, St Andrew, North Aisle, Hatchment

On the north aisle wall is this 18th century hatchment.

The painted arms are said to be those of a William Davison, who died in 1702.

April 2015

Utterby, St Andrew church, hatchment, William Davison
Utterby, St Andrew, North Aisle, Monument
Utterby, St Andrew, North Aisle, Monument
Utterby, St Andrew, North Aisle, Monument

Memorial to Mr Harold Bedson 3rd Officer of the Honourable East India Company's ship Appollo who died at sea November 28th 1819 aged 25 years.

"The East India Company (EIC), also known as the Honourable East India Company (HEIC) or the British East India Company ... 

The Company, was an English and later British joint-stock company.

It was formed to trade in the Indian Ocean region, initially with Mughal India and the East Indies, and later with Qing China.

The company ended up seizing control over large parts of the Indian subcontinent, colonised parts of Southeast Asia, and colonised Hong Kong after a war with Qing China"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_India_Company 

DB 8 September 2019

Utterby, Saint Andrew, church, Honourable East India Company,
Utterby, St Andrew, Porch & South Chapel
Utterby, St Andrew, Porch & South Chapel
Utterby, St Andrew, Porch & South Chapel

Porch C15 in the foreground with the C14 south chapel beyond.

DB 8 September 2019

Utterby, Saint Andrew, church
Utterby, St Andrew, Porch, green man
Utterby, St Andrew, Porch, green man
Utterby, St Andrew, Porch, green man

The 14th century inner doorway has a surround decorated with flowers, animals and human heads, and a ‘wild man’.

April 2015

Utterby, St Andrew church, green man
Utterby, St Andrew, Porch, lamp standard
Utterby, St Andrew, Porch, lamp standard
Utterby, St Andrew, Porch, lamp standard

This old timber post with iron brackets is on the west side of the porch entrance, presumably the support for a lamp.

April 2015

Utterby, St Andrew church, lamp standard
Utterby, St Andrew, South Chapel
Utterby, St Andrew, South Chapel
Utterby, St Andrew, South Chapel

"In the south chapel the east window is C14 of 2 lights with ogee heads and square surround. The south window is C19 of 3 lights, and a further C19 2 light window is in the west wall"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063086 

DB 8 September 2019

Utterby, Saint Andrew, church
Utterby, St Andrew, South Chapel, Stained Glass
Utterby, St Andrew, South Chapel, Stained Glass
Utterby, St Andrew, South Chapel, Stained Glass

C19 stained glass in the south window. 

Benson coat of arms.

White's Directory of Lincolnshire 1856 reports that Mrs Benson of Utterby House was a major land owner in the parish. 

Google translates the motto "Inconcussa virtus" as "unquestioned power" however other sources have it as "unshaken virtue".

DB 8 September 2019

Utterby, Saint Andrew, church, stained glass
Utterby, Utterby House stables
Utterby, Utterby House stables
Utterby, Utterby House stables

The stables at Utterby House are Grade II listed. They remain unchanged since this image other than the kennels on the left which went in the 1970s. The cockerel weather vane is also still in situ. 

Undated postcard 

Utterby, stables
Utterby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Utterby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Utterby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

The Wesleyans opened this chapel in 1858; it closed in 1933.

September 2020

Utterby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel