Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Waltham
 
Waltham, All Saints
Waltham, All Saints
Waltham, All Saints

Waltham is a large village 4 miles south west of Grimsby.

Much of the interior of All Saints' church dates from c.1300 but there was extensive reconstruction, including the tower and nave, in the late nineteenth century.  James Fowler of Louth was the architect.

undated postcard

Waltham, All Saints, James Fowler
Waltham, All Saints
Waltham, All Saints
Waltham, All Saints

Much of the interior of All Saints' church dates from c.1300 but there was extensive reconstruction, including the tower and nave, in the late nineteenth century. James Fowler of Louth was the architect.

Peter Kirk Collection, 1997


Waltham, All Saints, James Fowler
Waltham, Windmill (1)
Waltham, Windmill (1)
Waltham, Windmill (1)

This seven-storey mill with six sails was built by Saundersons of Louth in 1880.

It was designed to also operate under steam power and ceased to work from wind power in the 1960s.

Frith postcard from David Robinson Collection, undated

Waltham, Saunderson Louth
Waltham, Windmill (2)
Waltham, Windmill (2)
Waltham, Windmill (2)

This fine mill has six sails and seven storeys.

It ceased to work commercially in the 1960s but was later restored to full working order.

Location of mill: TA 259 033

Peter Kirk Collection, 1997


Waltham,
Waltham, Windmill (3)
Waltham, Windmill (3)
Waltham, Windmill (3)

This six-sailed brick tower mill on the edge of the village (TA 259033) was built in about 1880 by John Saunderson of Louth.

It is approximately 85ft (24m) high and has six storeys.

It was restored to working order and is maintained by the Waltham Windmill Preservation Society.

Frank Robinson, 2010

Waltham, windmill, Saunderson, Louth,
Waltham, Windmill (4)
Waltham, Windmill (4)
Waltham, Windmill (4)
Contemporary painting of the windmill captured at a time when two of the sails were under repair.
Waltham,