Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Welton
 
Welton Hill, Methodist Chapel
Welton Hill, Methodist Chapel
Welton Hill, Methodist Chapel

The former Free Methodist chapel was built alongside the A46 two miles north-east of Welton in 1866.

It is an attractive small building in red and pale yellow brick with dog-tooth decoration on the front elevation.

August 2011

Welton Hill, Methodist Church Chapel, Free Methodist
Welton, Methodist Church
Welton, Methodist Church
Welton, Methodist Church

The chapel in Welton opened in 1815 and a Sunday School room was in 1898.

August 2011

Welton, Methodist Chapel
Welton, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Welton, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Welton, Primitive Methodist Chapel

The Primitive Methodist Chapel, at Ryland in Welton, was built in 1839 and is currently used as a garage.

Pearl Wheatley, 2010

Welton, Ryland, Primitive methodist chapel
Welton, St Mary
Welton, St Mary
Welton, St Mary

A plaque on the tower of St Mary’s Welton records that it was built by Thomas Bell in 1768.

Much of the rest of the building was rebuilt in the nineteenth century, though the church retains its original 13th century arcades.

The large north vestry of 1912 is by Temple Moore.

Postcard, 1920

Welton, St Mary church, Temple Moore, Thomas Bell
Welton, St Mary
Welton, St Mary
Welton, St Mary

Most of the church, except the tower, was rebuilt in 1823-24 by E J Willson, with windows changed again in 1876.

May 2016

Welton, St Mary church, E J Willson
Welton, St Mary
Welton, St Mary
Welton, St Mary

The tower of St Mary's was built by Thomas Bell* in 1768.

May 2016

* Thomas Bell also rebuilt the church towers at Bassingham (1782) and Messingham (1784)

Welton, St Mary church, Thomas Bell
Welton, St Mary, ceiling
Welton, St Mary, ceiling
Welton, St Mary, ceiling

The ceiling over the chancel and apse are decorated with a red and black stencilled pattern.

May 2016

Welton, St Mary church, ceiling
Welton, St Mary, door
Welton, St Mary, door
Welton, St Mary, door

There is an agee arch over the small priest's door, all dating from the Victorian restoration of thwe church.

May 2016

Welton, St Mary church, door
Welton, St Mary, interior
Welton, St Mary, interior
Welton, St Mary, interior

The arcades date from the medieval period, unlike the external fabric of the church.

The north arcade (on the left) has four bays and dates from the fourteenth cventury; the south, of three bays, is thirteenth century.

May 2016

Welton, St Mary church, interior
Welton, St Mary, interior decoration
Welton, St Mary, interior decoration
Welton, St Mary, interior decoration

There is stencilled frieze decorating the top of the nave walls.

May 2016

Welton, St Mary church, interior decoration
Welton, St Mary, Royal Arms
Welton, St Mary, Royal Arms
Welton, St Mary, Royal Arms

The Royal Arms hanging in the church are dated 1838, but interestingly, in the year after William IV's death and Victoria's accession, do not carry the name of the monarch.

May 2016

Welton, St Mary church, Royal arms
Welton, St Mary, stained glass
Welton, St Mary, stained glass
Welton, St Mary, stained glass

This window in the north side of the nave is a memorial to Dr Richard Smith, born 1530 in Welton.

Smith founded the Blue Coat School in Lincoln and left a substantial legacy to schools in the city.

May 2016

Welton, St Mary church, stained glass, Dr Richard Smith
Welton, St Mary, stained glass
Welton, St Mary, stained glass
Welton, St Mary, stained glass

A memorial window to the RAF. The inscription reads: 'To the Glory of God and in honour of the officers and men of the RAF who died in ther service of their country. Their name liveth for evermore'.

The window was designed and made by Burlison & Grylls (London) and unveiled by the Bishop of Lincoln on 10 May 1921.

May 2016

Welton, St Mary church, stained glass, RAF, Burlison & Grylls