Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Welton le Wold
 
Welton le Wold, Old School
Welton le Wold, Old School
Welton le Wold, Old School

The school was built in 1860 for 120 pupils at a cost of £600, raised by subscription with the aid of government grants. In due course it became a CE controlled primary school. It never reached such high numbers.

The school closed in 1974  when there were only 13 children on the roll. Thereafter, children from the village attended St Michael's CE Primary School in Louth.

November 2011

Welton le Wold, Primary school
Welton le Wold, Old School
Welton le Wold, Old School
Welton le Wold, Old School

The design of the main classroom is typical of its period. The plain red brick box with its slate roof has been enlivened by contrasting diaper work in blue brick.

The inverted ĎVí in the slate roof betrays the position of the timber gabled bell-cote which sadly has been removed.

November 2013

Welton le Wold,
Welton le Wold, Old School
Welton le Wold, Old School
Welton le Wold, Old School

The gable ends of the classroom are punctuated by large windows in Gothic style and carry a simple dentil course at the eaves.

November 2013

Welton le Wold,
Welton le Wold, School & Schoolmasters House
Welton le Wold, School & Schoolmasters House
Welton le Wold, School & Schoolmasters House

These two buildings date from 1860 and are thought to be designed by architect S S Teulon. Both are listed Grade II
 
https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1307088.
 
The house has undergone recent repair, but the school building is now in a sad condition.

Jean Howard, 8 October 2021

Welton le Wold, school, S S Teulon
Welton le Wold, St Martin
Welton le Wold, St Martin
Welton le Wold, St Martin

The tower of St Martinís is 14th century, but the rest of the church was rebuilt in 1849 by S S Teulon.

The 19th century interior with its north arcade is in Decorated style.

November 2013

Welton le Wold, St Martin
Welton le Wold, St Martin
Welton le Wold, St Martin
Welton le Wold, St Martin

The tower of St Martinís is 14th century, but the rest of the church was rebuilt in 1849 by S S Teulon.

The 19th century interior with its north arcade is in Decorated style.

November 2013

Welton le Wold, St Martin, S S Teulon
Welton le Wold, St Martin
Welton le Wold, St Martin
Welton le Wold, St Martin

The tower of St Martinís is 14th century, but the rest of the church was rebuilt in 1849 by S S Teulon.

The west window, a medieval feature seen here, is Perpendicular

November 2013

Welton le Wold, St Martin church
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Chancel
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Chancel
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Chancel

The chancel has an arch braced roof with blue painted ceiling.

Jean Howard, 8 October 2021

Welton le Wold, Saint Martin Church,
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Decorative Detail
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Decorative Detail
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Decorative Detail

At either end of the moulding of the north aisle arcade is an end stop in the form of a head. This one depicts a queen, presumably a young Queen Victoria, fashioned at the 1849 restoration of the church.

Jean Howard, 8 October 2021

Welton le Wold, Saint Martin Church
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Decorative Detail
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Decorative Detail
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Decorative Detail

At either end of the moulding of the north aisle arcade is an end stop depicting a head.

This one is of a bishop, presumably representing Bishop John Kaye who was Bishop of Lincoln at the time of the restoration of the church in 1849.

Jean Howard, 8 October 2021

Welton le Wold, Saint Martin Church, Bishop John Kaye
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Font
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Font
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Font

A relatively plain fourteenth century octagonal font with each face of the bowl bearing a blank shield within a quatrefoil. Sadly, the bowl has been quite severely cracked.

Jean Howard, 8 October 2021

Welton le Wold, Saint Martin Church, Font
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Font Cover Hoist
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Font Cover Hoist
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Font Cover Hoist

The tall conical font cover can be raised by a hoist suspended from a substantial metal bracket.

Jean Howard, 8 October 2021

Welton le Wold, Saint Martin Church, Font
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Interior View (East)
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Interior View (East)
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Interior View (East)

Apart from the fourteenth-century tower the church was largely rebuilt in 1849 by S S Teulon.
 
This view shows the north arcade in fourteenth-century style making it difficult to decide to what extent this is original.

Jean Howard, 8 October 2021

Welton le Wold, Saint Martin Church
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Interior View (West)
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Interior View (West)
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Interior View (West)

The church was modernised in 2015 to extend its use as a public meeting space.
 
The base of the tower has been enclosed to give storage space and a toilet, and the western end of the north aisle has kitchen facilities.

Jean Howard, 8 October 2021

Welton le Wold, Saint Martin Church
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Memorial (Asterby)
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Memorial (Asterby)
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Memorial (Asterby)
This ledger slab is positioned in the centre of the chancel at the sanctuary step. It dates from 1420 and commemorates a rector, Sir Thomas Asterby.
 
The marginal inscription would once have been in black. It begins in the centre at the top (actually the right-hand edge as shown) and reads:
 
Hic iacet / d(omi)n(u)s Thomas Asterby q...d.m rector eccl(esi)e de Welton iuxta / ludam [Louth] qui obiit Ö die / mensis Ö. anno d(omi)ni M CCCC xx cuius anime p(ro)picietur / deus Amen.  


Jean Howard, 8 October 2021

Welton le Wold, Saint Martin Church, Asterby Ledger
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Memorial (Dyon)
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Memorial (Dyon)
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Memorial (Dyon)

This small brass is mounted in a slab of brown stone on the east wall of the north aisle. Its identity is unclear and its existence seems to have escaped the notice of any recorders of the church.

The wording reads as follows:

Hic jacet corpus / Johis Dyon Armigi

which translates as 'Here lies the body of John Dyon Esquire 

Jean Howard, 8 October 2021

Welton le Wold, Saint Martin Church, brass, John Dyon
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Memorial (Hughes)
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Memorial (Hughes)
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Memorial (Hughes)

This small brass plaque betrays a story of tragedy when the Rectorís only child died as a result of a riding accident. It reads:
 
In Memory of/ EDMUND LAWSON/ HUGHES/ only Child of the Revd Edm W Hughes/ Rector of the Parish/ who was suddenly called from this life/ vi Nov mdcccxlviii/ aged xi years In accordance with whose wishes/ and in consequence of whose/ death, this church was rebuilt/ and enlarged/ Anno Domini mdcccxlix.
 
Around the edge it says ĎThe Lord gave and the Lord hath taken away. Blessed be the name of the Lord.í

Jean Howard, 8 October 2021

Welton le Wold, Saint Martin Church, plaque, Edmund Lawson Hughes
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Memorial (Smith)
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Memorial (Smith)
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Memorial (Smith)

This beautifully shaped and finely cut wall monument reads:
 
This church was redecorated in memory of PHYLLIS MARY SMITH LRAM ARCM Medallist Royal Academy of Music 6 October 1905 19 December 1963.
 
The letters stand for Licentiate of the Royal Academy of Music and Associate of the Royal College of Music: the top of the decoration includes a lute and crossed horns.

Jean Howard, 8 October 2021

Welton le Wold, Saint Martin Church, Phyllis Mary Smith
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Memorial (Vessey)
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Memorial (Vessey)
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Memorial (Vessey)

This delightful wall tablet in the form of a rolled scroll commemorates farmer John Henry Vessey JP, who built Welton Manor. He died in September 1887 at the age of 59 and his mortal remains were interred at Halton Holegate where he was born.
 
The monument is signed CUSWORTH, PENTONVILLE RD.  https://sculpture.gla.ac.uk/view/organization.php?id=ann_1291656065 

Jean Howard, 8 October 2021

Welton le Wold, Saint Martin Church, Vessey, Cusworth
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Memorial (Windle)
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Memorial (Windle)
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Memorial (Windle)

This brass plaque on the south wall of the chancel leaves one saddened by the losses of the Revd William H Windle: his eldest and accomplished son killed at Loos in 1915 and his wife dying five years later.
 
Michael Windle attended Blundellís School, Tiverton, Devon where he is remembered on their memorial -
 
https://livesofthefirstworldwar.iwm.org.uk/lifestory/4827544
 
As is inscribed on the plaque, Michael attended Exeter College, Oxford, where he was a friend of Tolkien -
 
https://johngarth.wordpress.com/2015/09/25/tolkiens-immortal-four-meet-for-the-last-time/ 

Jean Howard, 8 October 2021

Welton le Wold, Saint Martin Church, William H Windle plaque, Michael Windle
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Sanctuary
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Sanctuary
Welton le Wold, St Martin, Sanctuary

The furnishings of the sanctuary are largely Victorian. The east window is unsigned and undated but is framed by painted metal commandment boards.

Initial letters E, L and H near the bottom of both left and right lights of the window may well recall Edmund Lawson Hughes, the son of the rector at the time of its construction.

Jean Howard, 8 October 2021

Welton le Wold, Saint Martin Church, commandment boards
Welton le Wold, St Martin, War Memorial
Welton le Wold, St Martin, War Memorial
Welton le Wold, St Martin, War Memorial

The village war memorial was designed and built by Mawer Bros of Louth. It is listed Grade II
 
https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1434783
 
It reads: TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE OF/ THOSE FROM THIS PARISH WHO GAVE/ THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1919,/ AND WHOSE NAMES ARE INSCRIBED BELOW/ JOSEPH HENRY ATKINSON/ ARTHUR MEASURES CHATTERTON/ JOHN WILLIAM GADSBY/ WILLIAM GOY/ HAROLD RUSHBY/ WILLIAM SEYMOUR. On the plinth is added: 1939-1945/ GEORGE HOLT, ROY SMITH.
 
The dedication and unveiling took place on Sunday 29 August 1920 when the church service was conducted by Revd W H Windle who had lost a son in the conflict before the Windle family moved to Welton.
 
https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/20490  
https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/211800

Jean Howard, 8 October 2021

Welton le Wold, Saint Martin Churchyard, war memorial
Weton le Wold, Stone Age Axe
Weton le Wold, Stone Age Axe
Weton le Wold, Stone Age Axe

The site of Welton le Wold is one of the most important in the East Midlands for the study of the sequences of Ice Age glaciation in the region and the presence of early hominins.

This Palaeolithic handaxe is one of three discovered at the site in 1973 by Allan Straw and Chris Alabaster, and represents one of the oldest hominin tools known from the county.

Even more important is the fact that it comes from a site that has also produced animal remains, and is a probable hunting and butchery site.

Courtesy of Lincolnshire County Council, The Collection

Welton le Wold, Stone Age axe, Palaeolithic, Allan Straw, Chris Alabaster
Weton le Wold, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Weton le Wold, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Weton le Wold, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

This much-remodelled building was opened as a chapel for the Wesleyan Methodists in 1835.

The last service was held in 1963.

September 2020

Welton le Wold, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel