Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Winterton
 
Winterton, All Saints
Winterton, All Saints
Winterton, All Saints

All Saints church, Winterton, has an Anglo-Saxon tower heightened in the 13th century and pinnacled in the 15th century.

The nave, transepts and aisles are in the Early English style. There is good Victorian glass by Kempe.

Mark Acton, 2007

 

Winterton, All Saints church, Kempe,
Winterton, All Saints
Winterton, All Saints
Winterton, All Saints

The Anglo-Saxon tower of All Saints' church has typical bell-openings with mid-wall shafts.

It was heightened in Early English style (13th century) and in the 15th century Perpendicular battlements and pinnacles were added.

April 2015

Winterton, All Saints church
Winterton, All Saints
Winterton, All Saints
Winterton, All Saints

The chancel is late thirteenth century but the east window of All Saints' church is Victorian.

April 2015

Winterton, All Saints church
Winterton, All Saints
Winterton, All Saints
Winterton, All Saints

View of All Saints' church from the north-east.

April 2015

Winterton, All Saints church
Winterton, All Saints
Winterton, All Saints
Winterton, All Saints

The lamp above the churchyard entrance carries the date 1205.

Peter Kirk Collection, 1991

Winterton, All Saints
Winterton, Liberal Club, Chapel Lane
Winterton, Liberal Club, Chapel Lane
Winterton, Liberal Club, Chapel Lane

Former Liberal Club of 1910 now a youth centre.

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 lists two clubs in Winterton :-

"Conservative Club (Henry R. Marshall, sec)

Liberal Club (George Walker sec.), Chapel street"

DB 14 May 2019

Winterton, Liberal Club
Winterton, Liberal Club, Chapel Lane
Winterton, Liberal Club, Chapel Lane
Winterton, Liberal Club, Chapel Lane

Detail of the Inscription.

Several foundation stones on the lower wall but some of these now difficult to read.

DB 14 May 2019 

 

Winterton, Liberal Club
Winterton, Trinity Methodist Church, King Street
Winterton, Trinity Methodist Church, King Street
Winterton, Trinity Methodist Church, King Street

In "A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Scunthorpe Circuit Past And Present” prepared By Colin Shepherdson & Mervyn G White March 1997 (Revised August 1998) it is stated that :-

"The foundation stone for the new "Trinity" church, built on the site of the old King Street Wesleyan chapel, was laid on the 26.8.1961 and the church opened on the 5.4.1962 for the combined ex WM & PM congregations.

It is still in use with a membership of 78"

DB 14 May 2019

Winterton, Trinity Methodist Church, Chapel