Below the east window of the church is this foundation stone. It reads:
THIS STONE WAS LAID BY/ NATHANIEL CLAYTON/ OWNER OF THE ESTATE/ JULY 22ND 1882/ HENRY MORRIS RECTOR/ THOMAS SOWERBY CHURCHWARDEN
Nathaniel Clayton, engineer, of East Cliff House, Lincoln, had recently bought the Withcall estate, which had previously been in the ownership of George Tomline Esq. of Orwell Park, Suffolk and Riby, Lincolnshire.
Jean Howard, January 2021