Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Agriculture - Farm Buildings
 
Belleau, Dovecote
Belleau, Dovecote
Belleau, Dovecote

An early 16th century dovecote associated with Belleau Manor.

It is an octagonal single-storey structure in dark red brick with slate roof and boarded lantern. Internally there are square brick nesting boxes. 

Ken Redmore, 2004

Belleau, dovecote,
Brauncewell, Horse Gin House
Brauncewell, Horse Gin House
Brauncewell, Horse Gin House

The gin house at Brauncewell was built in c.1800 alongside a bone mill.

A horse was harnessed to a beam which was linked through gearing to an overhead drive-shaft for the mill.

The original structure was open-sided with a thatched roof.

Stewart Squires, 2000
Brauncewell, gin, horse, bone,
Haddington, Dovecote
Haddington, Dovecote
Haddington, Dovecote

The stone dovecote placed to the north of the moats at Haddington (within the Aubourn parish, south of Lincoln) dates from about 1420.

It has nesting boxes for 500 birds and would originally have been roofed.


Mark Acton, 2008

Haddington, dovecote,
Haddington, Dovecote
Haddington, Dovecote
Haddington, Dovecote

The dovecote in Haddington has been restored.

Eric Hair, 2014

Haddington, dovecote
Heighington, Clarke's Charity Farm
Heighington, Clarke's Charity Farm
Heighington, Clarke's Charity Farm

A view of the farmyard with the hay harvest coming home.

At this time there was a low hedge on the north side of the house enclosing a small garden.

In the early twentieth century the farm was in the tenancy of Mr Drakes.

Heighington, Clarke's Charity Farm, Drakes, Hay Harvest
Kirmond le Mire, Manor Farmstead
Kirmond le Mire, Manor Farmstead
Kirmond le Mire, Manor Farmstead

Manor Farm was built in 1868 for Christopher Turnor (of Stoke Rochford and Panton), then one of the largest landowners in the county.

The layout and accommodation were specifically designed to enable efficient operation of a mechanised farm in the era of 'high farming'.

This view from the SW includes the central blocks with dovecote, the wall of a crew yard and the gable of the W range.

Frank Robinson, 2010

Kirmond Le Mire, farmstead, farm buildings, Christopher Turnor,
Thoresway, Waterwheel
Thoresway, Waterwheel
Thoresway, Waterwheel

The building on the left (TF 166967) contains an overshot water wheel erected in c1818 to provide power for a threshing machine and other barn machinery in the farm building opposite.

Gearing from the wheel drove a shaft passing under the road.

The water was fed from an overhead leet linked to a reservoir on the valley side but this no longer remains.

Frank Robinson, 2010

 

Thoresway, waterwheel,