The "sumptious" south porch (Pevsner's assessment) was built at the expense of John Godard. Fleurons are carved in the moulding and hood mould of the entrance.
"C15 ironstone porch with limestone bands and moulded plinth"
DB 3 November 2018
The Porch is 13th century, though its roof was rebuilt in 1713.
The porch of St Edith's church has stone benches along each side and once served as the village schoolroom with vicar or curate as schoolmaster.
The graffiti on the porch walls include dates, initials and several sketches similar to this. Perhaps this was an exercise in geometry or had it a deeper significance?
The porch at St Andrew's in in keeping with the architectural style of the nave.
"C15 south porch"
"South porch has coped gable with cross and a renewed figure in a niche over a C13 double chamfered door with hood mould.
On either side, a small C13 2-light pointed arched window"
DB 12 November 2018
Above the door leading into the porch, a stone statue of Mary holding Christ, dedicated in 1909.
At the time the Rev. Stephen Gladstone - son of the Prime Minister - was Rector and Edward King Bishop of Lincoln dedicated it.
The windows in both the north and south side (here to the right) aisles are thought to date from the Elizabethan period.
The porch with its niche and pinnacles, like the ornamented west end of the south aisle may date from c1403 when a chapel of St Mary was created.
The brick porch dates from 1758, i.e. contemporary with the construction of the church.
"Pevsner records the south doorway as also being late Norman, but is thought by Dr Elders to be slightly later (perhaps early 13th century) from which time or a little later still the porch and aisles appear to date"
DB 8 October 2018
The porch on the south side of All Saints' church is flanked by angel busts.
A closer view of the south porch and unusual eighteenth century tower of Holy Trinity.
There is some re-used Early English dog-tooth moulding in the porch entrance.
The south porch was added when the church was restored in 1872 by Charles Kirk.
DB 29 March 2018
The rather fine windows of the clerestory in Perpendicular style date from the 1890 restoration.
The gabled porch, plain but well-proportioned, is 14th century.
The 15th century porch of All Saints' church has an unusual timber entrance.
"South porch in ashlar with plinth and banded work above, C14 with a pointed moulded arch in the outer face, side benches.
DB 25 April 2018
"C14 porch has C15 ornamentation, a moulded plinth and string course, angle buttresses of 2 stages with large projecting gargoyles and ornate pinnacles.
C14 moulded doorway with small semicircular responds with vigorously foliated capitals and hood mould and label stops.
Above is a large C15 empty niche"
DB 24 September 2018
The two-storeyed south porch dates from the Perpendicular period (15th century).
A good example of early Lincolnshire brickwork, possibly as early as 1400.
The gabled south porch dates from the early 13th century. Above is an 18th century sundial.
The red bricks of St Peter's are laid in English Garden Wall bond with 3 rows of stretchers between rows of headers.
The roofs of nave and chancel have been renewed in concrete tiles; the porch roof has attractive shaped slates.
The timber-framed south porch was built by James Fowler in 1874-75.
As with most of the church, the south porch at Gosberton was built in Perpendicular style.
Among the graffiti in the porch is this image of a simple four-sailed post mill.
The porch dates from the restoration by Fowler in 1859.
Jews' Court collection, 1978
The porch of St Andrew's church is built of Ancaster stone. It has a parapet of two tiers of quatrefoils and pinnacles.
Either side of the entrance are traceried spandrels.
"C14 south porch"
"West side of porch has 2 stage C14 buttress with rectangular window in west side with 2 cusped ogee headed lights, restored in C19.
Porch interior flanked by stone benches"
DB 25 September 2018
The porch on the south side of St Andrew's has similar buttresses with niches as seen elsewhere on the exterior of the church.
The gable has a parapet with richly decorated band of stone carving containing shields, angels and kneeling figures against a leafy background.
The tower porch of the church is heavily strapped. Inside the porch are lengths of zig-zag work from a former arch of Norman date.
Image shows C12 chevrons re-set above the inner side of the outer door.
DB 9 November 2018
"Porch interior with C19 south doorway with pointed moulded head; angled, chamfered jambs with triangular stops and plank door.
A segmental arch of C12 chevron re-set above"
The entrance porch on the north side of the church is framed by two round towers.
The entrance arch is 'delightfully lacy ogee-cusped and subcusped' (Pevsner)
Unused and undated postcard
The south porch is Perpendicular in style with pinnacles and a sundial.
Extensive restoration, including rebuilding of the porch, took place in 1911 under C H Fowler.
The elegant porch at St Michael's - its doorway flanked by Doric pilasters – is an 18th century addition.
The porch - konwn as an Angel porch - was built at the time of a Victorian restoration incorporating figures of angels dating from the fourteenth century.
Southern entrance to the Angel Choir c.1255-90.
In the tympanum, above the twin doors, is the figure of Christ as Judge.
The Virgin & Child on the central pier below is modern c 1932.
The Judgement Porch is flanked by Bishop Longland's Chantry to the west and the Russell Chantry to the east.
DB 27 September 2018
"Galilee porch, c1240, has a vaulted interior and ornate restored doorways"
Built as the Bishop's entrance from his palace close by to the south.
Called "Galilee" because the phrase "go before you into Galilee" was used on entering the Cathedral here in the Holy Week ceremonial procession.
Supposed to be 5355 dog tooth pyramids used in its interior decoration.
Upper floor has been used as the muniments room and as the Chapter Clerk's office.
DB 4 October 2018
St Helen’s has attractive decoration in black brick round doorways and windows.
At the west end is the bellcote, with star shaped bell openings and a slate-hung broach spire.
St Peter's has an unusual porch in Tudor style with stone and in-filled timber framing.
"C14 porch heavily restored in C19"
DB 22 October 2018
The porch at St Mary's was built along with the rest of the church in Perpendicular style.
"Gabled C19 south porch with side lights, pointed C19 outer doorway with above a figure of St. Michael and the dragon in a pointed oval surround with small side shafts"
" C14 continuously moulded inner door with fleuron frieze"
Fleurons are stylized forms of flowers or leaves.
"Holy water stoup on clustered shaft with shield and fleuron decoration to the bowl"
Fleurons are stylized forms of flowers or leaves.
The fine south porch.
The porch of All Saints' church is constructed from unworked limestone laid in rough courses.
The porch with its broad flat arched entrance dates from the fourteenth century (Decorated style).
"The porch was built by Bishop Richard Fox, founder of Corpus Christi College, Oxford, who was born in Ropsley in 1447/8"
DB 6 August 2018
The porch was rebult in 1868-69 by Edward Browning.
Unglazed opening on the east side of the south porch, showing the ironstone and greenstone Fowler used (possibly reused?) in the construction of the church in 1869.
The south porch dates from the late thirteenth century.
The timber and stone porch with slated roof dates from the Victorian restoration.
The church was constructed in rock-faced stone.
At the time of this photograph the church was already redundant; it was demolished in 1983.
The porch at St Paul's is in thirteenth century style with elaborate decoration in the arched entrance.
Porch must be later than the nave as there is a mass dial beside the south door.
DB 14 April 2018
Several parts of St Mary's church were rebuilt in 1861-63, including the entrance to the south porch.
A porch of simple limestone construction with timber surface decoration. The doorway - not visible here - is pre-1200.
View of the porch and double bellcote. Pevsner speculates that the bellcote predates the Victorian restoration.
The ornate south porch of St Mary's dates from 1520. It was given by Robert Langay and William Palmer.