Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Churches - Interior - Architecture
 
Ancaster, St Martin, capital
Ancaster, St Martin, capital
Ancaster, St Martin, capital

This capital on the pier at the east end of the north aisle shows detailed decoration of the Norman period (c.1160-70).

May 2015

Ancaster, St Martin church, capital
Aunsby, St Thomas a Becket
Aunsby, St Thomas a Becket
Aunsby, St Thomas a Becket

The circular piers in the late 12th century north aisle have square abaci and fine leaf capitals.

September 2013

Aunsby, St Thomas a Becket church, leaf capitals
Bardney, St Lawrence, reredos
Bardney, St Lawrence, reredos
Bardney, St Lawrence, reredos
Bardney, St Lawrence church reredos
Barholm, St Martin, arcade
Barholm, St Martin, arcade
Barholm, St Martin, arcade

The north arcade with its sturdy piers, round arches and zig-zag decoration dates from the mid 12th century.

September 2014

Barholm, St Martin, north arcade
Barholm, St Martin, capital
Barholm, St Martin, capital
Barholm, St Martin, capital

The scalloped, square capital with chevron decoration above, is typical Norman work.

This is the head of one of the piers in the north arcade.

September 2014

Barholm, St Martin, capital
Bassingham, St Michael, capital
Bassingham, St Michael, capital
Bassingham, St Michael, capital

The Early English north arcade was rebuilt by J H Hakewill* in 1860.

This scalloped capital on a round pier shows two successive arches. The one on the left has an authentic zig-zag decoration; the other is more likely an invention of Hakewill.

August 2016

* John Henry Hakewill (1810-1880) was an architect whose best known works are in Suffolk

Bassingham, St Michael, capital, J H Hakewill
Bilsby, Holy Trinity, piscina
Bilsby, Holy Trinity, piscina
Bilsby, Holy Trinity, piscina

This trefoil headed piscina is in the south chancel wall.

August 2013

Bilsby, Holy Trinity church, piscina
Braceby, St Margaret
Braceby, St Margaret
Braceby, St Margaret

Waterleaf capital on an octofoil pier in the north arcade (13th century). 

September 2013

Braceby, St Margaret church, capital, octofoil
Cadney, All Saints, capital
Cadney, All Saints, capital
Cadney, All Saints, capital

The Norman south arcade has three bays. The round piers have capitals with stylised flat leaves.

February 2015

Cadney, All Saints church, capitals
Carlby, St Stephen, capital
Carlby, St Stephen, capital
Carlby, St Stephen, capital

A round headed pier with round abacus, part of the Early English three-bay north arcade.

Note also the nailhead decoration.

September 2014

 

Carlby, St Stephen church, capital. nailhead
Carlby, St Stephen, stoup
Carlby, St Stephen, stoup
Carlby, St Stephen, stoup

The stoup, for holy water, in the south wall of the chancel.

September 2014

Carlby, St Stephen church, stoup
Claxby (West Lindsey), St Mary
Claxby (West Lindsey), St Mary
Claxby (West Lindsey), St Mary

The 13th century chancel arch of Claxby St Mary is supported by two carved heads.

This grotesque image of a man pulling his mouth open is on the north side of the arch.

May 2012

Claxby West Lindsey, St Mary, grotesque
Claxby (West Lindsey), St Mary
Claxby (West Lindsey), St Mary
Claxby (West Lindsey), St Mary

The 13th century chancel arch of Claxby St Mary is supported by two carved heads.

On the south side of the arch a man sticks his tongue out while both his hands support the arch.

May 2012

Claxby West Lindsey, St Mary, grotesque
Claxby (West Lindsey), St Mary
Claxby (West Lindsey), St Mary
Claxby (West Lindsey), St Mary

The reredos in St Mary's church, Claxby, dates from the restoration of the church in 1871 by James Fowler.

May 2012

Claxby West Lindsey, St Mary, reredos, James Fowler
Coates by Stow, St Edith
Coates by Stow, St Edith
Coates by Stow, St Edith

Stairs to the rood loft.

June 2013

Coates By Stow, St Edith church stairs
Colsterworth, St John Baptist, interior
Colsterworth, St John Baptist, interior
Colsterworth, St John Baptist, interior

The Norman north arcade of St John the Baptist, Colsterworth.

Mark Acton, 2017

Colsterworth, St John Baptist
Colsterworth, St John Baptist, stone
Colsterworth, St John Baptist, stone
Colsterworth, St John Baptist, stone

A section of a small cross shaft from c.950-1050.

Mark Acton, 2017

Colsterworth, St John Baptist, cross shaft
Corringham, St Laurence
Corringham, St Laurence
Corringham, St Laurence

The church has a two-bay Norman north arcade with round arches.

The pier is circular with a square abacus and the capital, shown here, is "uncommonly fine, of leaf-crocket kind" (Pevsner).

May 2012

Corringham, St Laurence, capital
Corringham, St Laurence
Corringham, St Laurence
Corringham, St Laurence

The impressive reredos behind the altar was introduced by Bodley as part of the 1883-84 restoration scheme.

May 2012

Corringham, St Laurence, reredos, Bodley
Deeping St James, capital
Deeping St James, capital
Deeping St James, capital

Norman scallop capital on pier in the south arcade.

September 2014

Deeping St James, church, capital
Deeping St James, capital
Deeping St James, capital
Deeping St James, capital

Late Norman scallop capital on pier in south arcade.

September 2014

Deeping St James, church, capital
Deeping St James, interior
Deeping St James, interior
Deeping St James, interior

Above the nave arcade is a 13th century triforium of 13 pointed arches - with the lancets of the clerestory behind.

September 2014

Deeping St James, church, interior, triforium
Dembleby, St Lucia, piscina
Dembleby, St Lucia, piscina
Dembleby, St Lucia, piscina

Pevsner describes this pillar piscina as possibly the finest in the country.

The shaft has horizontal zig-zag.  The bowl is also richly decorated with scallops and crosses.

September 2013

Dembleby, St Lucia church, pillar piscina
East Barkwith, St Mary
East Barkwith, St Mary
East Barkwith, St Mary

A corbel supporting a principal rafter from the north arcade.

This dates from the 1846 restoration by J B Atkinson of York.

July 2012

East Barkwith, St Mary church, corbel, J B Atkinson
Epworth, St Andrew, capital
Epworth, St Andrew, capital
Epworth, St Andrew, capital

The south arcade has octagonal piers and double chamfered arches.

October 2016

Epworth, St Andrew, capital
Gedney, St Mary Magdalen, Reredos
Gedney, St Mary Magdalen, Reredos
Gedney, St Mary Magdalen, Reredos

The interior of Gedney Church has a range of interesting features.

This striking reredos was restored in the nineteenth century.

Ken Redmore, 2010

Gedney, Early English, Perpendicular,
Glentworth, St Michael, capital
Glentworth, St Michael, capital
Glentworth, St Michael, capital

The chancel arch, double chamfered on semi-circular responds, has simple stiff-leaf capitals.

May 2015

Glentworth, St Michael church, capital
Great Coates, St Nicholas, capital
Great Coates, St Nicholas, capital
Great Coates, St Nicholas, capital

Quatrefoil pier and round capital in the south arcade, all of the Decorated period.

July 2014

Great Coates, St Nicholas church, capital
Great Steeping, Old Church, door lintel
Great Steeping, Old Church, door lintel
Great Steeping, Old Church, door lintel

The beam or lintel over the west door is inscribed: "BB x IG x CW x 1708".

It is thought that these were the initials of the churchwardens. Presumably the beam was salvaged from the earlier church.

September 2011

Great Steeping, old church
Great Steeping, Old Church, roof truss
Great Steeping, Old Church, roof truss
Great Steeping, Old Church, roof truss

Towards the west end of the nave is this decorated timber truss.

Presumably this is a re-used element from the medieval church.

September 2011

Great Steeping, old church, timber truss
Hatcliffe, St Mary, capital
Hatcliffe, St Mary, capital
Hatcliffe, St Mary, capital
Hatcliffe, St Mary church, capital
Heckington, St Andrew, sedilia
Heckington, St Andrew, sedilia
Heckington, St Andrew, sedilia

Above the sedilia in the chancel are gables with remarkable carvings at the springers.

This - one of four carvings - depicts a bearded man feeding a second man.

June 2015

Heckington, St Andrew church, sedilia
Hemswell, All Saints, capital
Hemswell, All Saints, capital
Hemswell, All Saints, capital

The Early English three-bay north arcade has octagonal piers and simple capitals.  The arches are double chamfered and slightly pointed.

May 2015

Hemswell, All Saints church capital
Horncastle, Holy Trinity, corbel
Horncastle, Holy Trinity, corbel
Horncastle, Holy Trinity, corbel

The chancel arch is supported by large ornate corbels carved with coats of arms, fruit and foliage.

May 2015

Horncastle, Holy Trinity church, corbel
Howell,&nbspSt&nbspOswald
Howell, St Oswald
Howell, St Oswald

The north arcade dates from around 1200. There are seats around the pier bases.

Mark Acton, 2017

Howell,
Immingham, St Andrew, capital
Immingham, St Andrew, capital
Immingham, St Andrew, capital

The pier and capital between one of the bays in the north aisle, dating from the late 13th century.

July 2014

Immingham, St Andrew church, capital
Kingerby, St Peter, capital
Kingerby, St Peter, capital
Kingerby, St Peter, capital

Octagonal piers in the south arcade are topped by simple capitals from which spring double-chamfered arches.

May 2016

Kingerby, St Peter church, capital
Kirkby-cum-Osgodby, St Andrew, tower arch
Kirkby-cum-Osgodby, St Andrew, tower arch
Kirkby-cum-Osgodby, St Andrew, tower arch

The tower arch in the west wall is from the Early English period.

May 2016

Kirkby Cum Osgodby, St Andrew church, tower arch
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin, corbel
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin, corbel
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin, corbel

The timber roofs of nave and chancel are supported by corbels with medieval style heads.

June 2014

Kirmond Le Mire, St Martin church, corbel
Langtoft, St Michael, corbel
Langtoft, St Michael, corbel
Langtoft, St Michael, corbel

Wooden corbel supporting principal rafter on north side of nave.

September 2014

Langtoft, St Michael church, corbel
Langtoft, St Michael, piscina
Langtoft, St Michael, piscina
Langtoft, St Michael, piscina

The 14th century chancel piscina has a crocketed gable with above, a figure surrounded by leaves.

September 2014

Langtoft, St Michael church, piscina
Leadenham, St Swithin, Chancel Ceiling
Leadenham, St Swithin, Chancel Ceiling
Leadenham, St Swithin, Chancel Ceiling

There are several 19th century fittings inside St Swithin's.

Of particular note is the chancel roof that was hand painted by Pugin in 1841.

April 2013

Leadenham, St Swithin, chancel ceiling, Pugin
Lincoln Cathedral, East Transept
Lincoln Cathedral, East Transept
Lincoln Cathedral, East Transept

Capitals from the Early English period (1192-1255) near the east bays of the great transept.

Lincoln Cathedral, south-east transept
Little Cawthorpe, St Helen, capital
Little Cawthorpe, St Helen, capital
Little Cawthorpe, St Helen, capital

The brick chancel arch springs from marble shafts with ornate carved capitals.

April 2015

Little Cawthorpe, St Helen, capital
Mareham le Fen, St Helen, capital
Mareham le Fen, St Helen, capital
Mareham le Fen, St Helen, capital

The four-bay arcades at Mareham are probably late fourteenth century. The piers are octagonal with unusual leaves in the capitals. The arches are double-chamfered.

April 2016

Mareham le Fen, capital, St Helen church
Market Deeping, St Guthlac, interior
Market Deeping, St Guthlac, interior
Market Deeping, St Guthlac, interior

The Transitional north arcade with its quatrefoil piers and round arches is late 12th century.  Above is the 15th century clerestory.

September 2014

Market Deeping, St Guthlac church
Marshchapel, St Mary, capital
Marshchapel, St Mary, capital
Marshchapel, St Mary, capital
Marshchapel, St Mary, capital
Marston, St Mary, piscina
Marston, St Mary, piscina
Marston, St Mary, piscina

Piscina - or maybe simple shelves (there appears to be no drain) - built in the Victorian chancel.

March 2016

Marston, St Mary, piscina
Marston, St Mary, reredos
Marston, St Mary, reredos
Marston, St Mary, reredos

Described by Pevsner as 'the climax of the interior, sumtuous and leaf-encrusted', this elaborate reredos was provided as part of the work of Kirk in 1878-80.

March 2016

Marston, St Mary, reredos
Marston, St Mary, sedilia
Marston, St Mary, sedilia
Marston, St Mary, sedilia
Seats on the south side of the chancel for clergy who assist with the holy sacrament - the sedilia.
Marston, St Mary, sedilia
Martin by Horncastle, St Michael, capital
Martin by Horncastle, St Michael, capital
Martin by Horncastle, St Michael, capital

The capitals - one volute, the other scalloped - to the shafts of chancel arch.

July 2013

Martin by Horncastle, St Michael, church, capital
Nettleham, All Saints, capital
Nettleham, All Saints, capital
Nettleham, All Saints, capital

The nave north arcade had hexagonal piers with six attached shafts.  The stiff-leaf capitals are of exceptional quality and date from the thirteenth century.

May 2012

Nettleham, All Saints, stiff leaf capitals
Nettleham, All Saints, Chancel Ceiling
Nettleham, All Saints, Chancel Ceiling
Nettleham, All Saints, Chancel Ceiling

Following the fire of 1969 which destroyed the chancel ceiling, it was renewed in line with Bodley and Garner's designs of the 1880s, but using brighter colours.

May 2012

Nettleham, All Saints, chancel ceiling, Bodley and Garner
Newton by Folkingham, St Botolph, Piscina
Newton by Folkingham, St Botolph, Piscina
Newton by Folkingham, St Botolph, Piscina

The piscina in the chancel has a partly original gable with dog-tooth decoration.

September 2013

Newton by Folkingham, St Botolph church, piscina
Newton by Folkingham, St Botolph, tomb recess
Newton by Folkingham, St Botolph, tomb recess
Newton by Folkingham, St Botolph, tomb recess

This tomb recess in the chancel at St Botolph's has ball flower and an ogee arch.

September 2013

Newton by Folkingham, St Botolph, tomb recess
North Kelsey, St Nicholas, pier
North Kelsey, St Nicholas, pier
North Kelsey, St Nicholas, pier

The north arcade has piers constructed in pink marble.

They date from the 1869 reconstruction.

May 2016

North Kelsey, St Nicholas, pier
Northorpe, St John Baptist, capital
Northorpe, St John Baptist, capital
Northorpe, St John Baptist, capital

St John Baptist church has Norman 3-bay arcades.

The round piers of the arcades have flat capitals with scallop decoration.

May 2010

Northorpe, St John Baptist, scallop capital
Northorpe, St John Baptist, capital
Northorpe, St John Baptist, capital
Northorpe, St John Baptist, capital

St John Baptist church has Norman 3-bay arcades.

The round piers of the arcades have flat capitals with scallop decoration.

May 2010

Northorpe, St John Baptist
Norton Disney, St Peter, corbel
Norton Disney, St Peter, corbel
Norton Disney, St Peter, corbel

Late-fourteenth century corbel left of the south transept east window.

October 2016

Norton Disney, St Peter corbel
Owmby by Spital, St Peter & St Paul, capital
Owmby by Spital, St Peter & St Paul, capital
Owmby by Spital, St Peter & St Paul, capital

The 3-bay north arcade of c.1200 has round piers, with square abaci and crude stiff leaf decoration.

May 2010

Owmby by Spital, St Peter & St Paul
Owston Ferry, St Martin, capital
Owston Ferry, St Martin, capital
Owston Ferry, St Martin, capital

The south arcade is from the Decorated period. The quatrefoil piers have small nailhead in the abaci, as shown here.

August 2015

Owston Ferry, St Martin church, capital
Partney, St Nicholas, capital
Partney, St Nicholas, capital
Partney, St Nicholas, capital

The north arcade is of the Perpendicular period, with slender octagonal piers and double chamfered arches.

At the head of the piers are bands with small fleurons and heads.

September 2015

Partney, St Nicholas, capital
Partney, St Nicholas, capital
Partney, St Nicholas, capital
Partney, St Nicholas, capital

The south arcade has similar piers and arches to the north arcade but dates from the earlier Decorated period.

The decoration at the head of each pier is "lush nobbly leaf" (Pevsner).

September 2015

Partney, St Nicholas, capital
Scothern, St Germain, capitals
Scothern, St Germain, capitals
Scothern, St Germain, capitals

The chancel arch has two late twelfth century responds of triple detached shafts with waterleaf capitals. Pevsner describes them as 'spectacular'.

May 2016

Scothern, St Germain church, capital
Skillington, St James, capital
Skillington, St James, capital
Skillington, St James, capital

The stiff-leaf capital below the chancel arch.

September 2016

Skillington, St James
Skillington, St James, capital
Skillington, St James, capital
Skillington, St James, capital

Skillington, St James
Skillington, St James, label stop
Skillington, St James, label stop
Skillington, St James, label stop

A simple decorative label stop in th interior of St James's church.

September 2016

Skillington, St James, Label stop
Sleaford, St Denys, strainer arch
Sleaford, St Denys, strainer arch
Sleaford, St Denys, strainer arch

The west bay of the north aisle is separated from the rest of the aisle by a strainer arch, built on the pattern of Wells Cathedral and dating from 1853.

June 2015

Sleaford, St Denys church, strainer arch
Snitterby, St Nicholas
Snitterby, St Nicholas
Snitterby, St Nicholas

A corbel and shaft close to the north side of the chancel arch, showing the variety of material and decoration used by Fowler here.

May 2012

Snitterby, St Nicholas
Snitterby, St Nicholas, Chancel Arch
Snitterby, St Nicholas, Chancel Arch
Snitterby, St Nicholas, Chancel Arch

The interior of St Nicholas's is red-brick with ashlar and bands of black brick decoration – in typical Fowler style.

May 2012

Snitterby, St Nicholas
Stamford, All Saints, capital
Stamford, All Saints, capital
Stamford, All Saints, capital

The three-bay south arcade has octofoil piers and stiff-leaf capitals.

March 2016

Stamford, All Saints church, capital
Stoke Rochford, St Mary & St Andrew, capital
Stoke Rochford, St Mary & St Andrew, capital
Stoke Rochford, St Mary & St Andrew, capital

This capital over a pillar in the north arcade is from early 13th century.

July 2011

Stoke Rochford, St Mary & St Andrew, capital
Stoke Rochford, St Mary & St Andrew, capital
Stoke Rochford, St Mary & St Andrew, capital
Stoke Rochford, St Mary & St Andrew, capital

Capital in the south arcade, dating from the early 13th century.

July 2011

Stoke Rochford, St Mary & St Andrew, capital
Sudbrooke, St Edward, capital
Sudbrooke, St Edward, capital
Sudbrooke, St Edward, capital

Details of the piers and capitals at the chancel arch.

May 2016

Sudbrooke, St Edward capital
Sutterton, St Mary, capital
Sutterton, St Mary, capital
Sutterton, St Mary, capital

This capital is in the north arcade.

September 2011

Sutterton, St Mary
Sutterton, St Mary, capital
Sutterton, St Mary, capital
Sutterton, St Mary, capital

Round piers in the nave arcade have square abaci with nicked corners.  The capitals have small upright leaves.

September 2011

Sutterton, St Mary, capital
Swarby, St Mary & All Saints, capital
Swarby, St Mary & All Saints, capital
Swarby, St Mary & All Saints, capital

The south arcade dates from the Perpendicular period.

Each complex pier has four shafts of circular cross-section, and each shaft ends in a capital with knobbly leaves.

April 2016

Swarby, St Mary & All Saints, capital
Swinhope, St Helen, Baptistry
Swinhope, St Helen, Baptistry
Swinhope, St Helen, Baptistry

The baptistery of 1860 has replaced the south aisle.

June 2014

Swinhope, St Helen, baptistery
Walesby, All Saints, Capital
Walesby, All Saints, Capital
Walesby, All Saints, Capital

Inside All Saints church at Walesby are box pews and a thirteenth century drum-shaped font.

The pulpit of 1626, with its attractive tester, came from St Leonard's Chapel, Kirkstead.

This photograph shows the capital over one of the octagonal piers in the south arcade.

Ken Redmore, 2010

Walesby, All Saints church, Ramblers' Church, capital,
Winteringham, All Saints, north arcade
Winteringham, All Saints, north arcade
Winteringham, All Saints, north arcade

The four-bay north arcade in Winteringham All Saints is typically Norman with sturdy round piers, scalloped capitals and square abaci.

Mark Acton, April 2015

Winteringham, All Saints church
Woodhall Spa, St Peter, Interior
Woodhall Spa, St Peter, Interior
Woodhall Spa, St Peter, Interior

St Peter’s was built in 1893 to accommodate the town’s growing population and increasing visitor numbers.

Designed by C H Fowler with seating for 500 people, the church is brick outside and in, with a broad nave and broad south aisle.

The chancel was completed in 1904, with a fine stone reredos behind the altar (shown here).

In 1915 St Peter’s replaced St Andrew’s as the Parish Church of Woodhall Spa.

See: www.woodhallspa.org
and Woodhall Spa - Past and Present by Marjorie Sargeant (pub  2008)

Woodhall Spa, St Peter church, interior, reredos, Charles Hodgson Fowler