Lincoln Cathedral, Nave, Tournai Marble Font
The gift of Bishop Alexander some time after 1141.
Made in Tournai, Belgium by Flemish craftsmen using Tournai Marble quarried on the banks of the river Escaut.
Decoration round the sides of the bowl consists of grotesque animals and mythical dragons representing original sin.
Steps are modern placed there in 1890 by Dean Butler.
Seven of these very expensive Tournai fonts still survive in Britain although only three of these are complete including this one.
The most famous other example is at Winchester Cathedral however there is another one in Lincoln Diocese at Thornton Curtis which originally belonged to the Knights Templar.
DB 14 March 2016
Lincoln Cathedral, nave, font, Tournai Marble, Bishop Alexander, Dean Butler