Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Industry - Agricultural Engineering
 
Gainsborough, Marshalls' Britannia Works
Gainsborough, Marshalls' Britannia Works
Gainsborough, Marshalls' Britannia Works

The frontage of Marshalls' Britannia Works on Beaumont Street, Gainsborough, an outstanding example of a Victorian engineering works.

Most of the site has now been developed as a retail park.

Gainsborough, Britannia,
Gainsborough, Marshalls' Workers
Gainsborough, Marshalls' Workers
Gainsborough, Marshalls' Workers

William Marshall set up his Gainsborough engineering firm in 1848.

It moved in 1856 to a site on Beaumont Street near the station.

The works eventually occupied 28 acres (12 Ha) and in the early 1900s, at the time of this photograph, the firm employed over 3500 men.

Gainsborough had a population of about 19,000 at the time and was dominated by the works.

Gainsborough, Marshall Son & Co, workers, Beaumont Street
Gainsborough, Marshalls' Workers
Gainsborough, Marshalls' Workers
Gainsborough, Marshalls' Workers

This scene of Marshall workers leaving the factory was taken in about 1910.

At the time, a product for sale at home and abroad was the threshing machine. The steam engine - a major part of Marshalls' output - had been largely superseded by the diesel engine.

Marshalls' became an important maker of diesel-powered agricultural tractors in the twentieth century.

Gainsborough, Marshall Sons & co, workers