Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Industry - Corn Milling
 
Alford, Windmill
Alford, Windmill
Alford, Windmill

This elegant five-sailed windmill (TF 457766), Hoyle's Mill, was built by Sam Oxley, an Alford millwright, in 1837 with later gearing and ironwork supplied by Tuxford of Boston.

With supplementary diesel engine power it worked until 1955.

The mill, fully restored in 2000, is now owned by Lincolnshire County Council and is once more operated commercially.

It is open to the public.

Frank Robinson, 2010

Alford, windmill, Hoyle, Tuxford,
Alvingham, Watermill
Alvingham, Watermill
Alvingham, Watermill

Alvingham watermill is close to the Louth Navigation about 3 miles north east of Louth (TF 367914).

It was built in the 17th century, with alterations being made in the 18th and 19th centuries.

The breast shot waterwheel, 11 feet in diameter, is driven by water taken from the nearby river Lud.

In the 1970s, the mill was restored to full working order.

There has been a mill on this site since the 12th century.

Frank Robinson, 2011

Alvingham, Louth Navigation, watermill, Lud, waterwheel,
Bardney, windmill
Bardney, windmill
Bardney, windmill
Caption to follow
Bardney, windmill
Bassingham, windmill
Bassingham, windmill
Bassingham, windmill

This post mill was reputedly built by the Worsdall family in the 18th century. It worked until circa 1900 and was demolished in 1914.

Postcard mailed from Bassingham in 1906

Bassingham, post mill Worsdall family
Burgh le Marsh, Dobson's Windmill
Burgh le Marsh, Dobson's Windmill
Burgh le Marsh, Dobson's Windmill

A 5-storey, 5-sailed brick tower mill built in c.1813 by Sam Oxley of Alford, together with a range of outbuildings.

It retains a full range of machinery and equipment including three pairs of stones and it has unusual left-handed sails (ie, they rotate clockwise, unlike most windmills).

The windmill worked commercially until 1964 and is now in the ownership of Lincolnshire County Council.

Burgh Le Marsh, windmill, oxley,
Burgh le Marsh, windmill
Burgh le Marsh, windmill
Burgh le Marsh, windmill

This 5-sailed tower mill (Dobson's Mill) was built in 1813 and regularly grinds corn today.

It contains much of the original machinery and, unusually, turns clockwise.

There are 3 pairs of wind-powered millstones and one pair engine-powered by a Blackstone (of Stamford) diesel engine.

1970s photograph

Burgh Le Marsh, windmill, Blackstone engine
Carlton le Moorland, Postmill
Carlton le Moorland, Postmill
Carlton le Moorland, Postmill

This post mill in Carlton le Moorland was abandoned around 1906 and collapsed in 1935.

undated postcard

Carlton le Moorland, post mill
Cleethorpes, windmill
Cleethorpes, windmill
Cleethorpes, windmill

This four sailed mill in Mill Road was built in c.1820 for John Nicholson, Mayor of Grimsby. It had four single-sided patent sails and three pairs of stones.

A bake house was added by the Frankish family.

The mill was dismantled by Thompson's of Alford in the 1920s. The cap was re-fitted to the mill at Spittle Hill in Gainsborough.

(Information courtesy Jon Sass, Lincolnshire Mills Group)

undated postcard, c.1900

Cleethorpes, windmill, Mill Road, Frankish, John Nicholson, Thompson of Alford
Cleethorpes, windmill
Cleethorpes, windmill
Cleethorpes, windmill

The 5-sailed windmill in Mill Place, off Cleethorpes Market Place, was built in 1803 for William Jackson.  It originally had with 4 sails.

Steam power only was used from 1905.  It was demolished in 1922.

(Information courtesy Jon Sass, Lincolnshire Mills Group)

undated postcard, late 19th century

Cleethorpes, windmill, Mill Road, William Jackson
Coningsby, Windmill
Coningsby, Windmill
Coningsby, Windmill

Nothing now remains of Coningsby’s five-sailed tower mill built in 1826.

It was located in Silver Street and was last operated by William Watson.

undated postcard 

Coningsby, wind mill, Silver Street, William Watson
Friskney, Tofts post mill
Friskney, Tofts post mill
Friskney, Tofts post mill

Built c1730 with four common sails. It was on the landward side of the Main Road to the north of the Barley Mow in an area which until the end of the 19th century was called ‘The Floors’ – indicating a site of medieval salt pans.

At the time of this photograph, Friskney also had two tower mills – Kitching’s Mill at Fold Hill and Hoyle’s Mill at the Low Road boundary with Wainfleet St Mary (the dumpy tower of Hoyle’s mill is the only present-day survivor).

There is a mound about half a mile to the west of the church called ‘Mill Hill’. Was this the site of a much earlier post mill? Edward Kealey, in his book Harvesting the Air, Windmill Pioneers of Twelfth-Century England cites a charter, dated no later than 1189, recording the gift of a Friskney windmill and saltpans by Gilbert of Benniworth to the nuns of North Ormsby.

Postcard: c1920 (photograph by Rex Wailes, author of The English Windmill)

Friskney, Tofts post mill, Kitching's Mill, Hoyle's Mill
Friskney, Tofts post mill
Friskney, Tofts post mill
Friskney, Tofts post mill

This mill was built in c.1730 and stood at the junction of Sea Lane and the A52 (TF 481554).

The last miller, John Stephenson, who had started his career here as an apprentice in 1874, retired in 1934. Both the mill and Mr Stephenson feature in In Search of English Windmills (1931) by Thurston Hopkins and Stanley Freese.

The mill was severely damaged by storms and for a while survived with two sails.  It had to be dismantled in 1939.

Postcard: c1930

Friskney, Tofts post mill, John Stephenson
Grantham, Willoughby's Mill
Grantham, Willoughby's Mill
Grantham, Willoughby's Mill

This mill was on the footpath that runs from the foot of Princess Drive to Manthorpe Road. Only the house now remains.

Unposted card by Jackson & Son of Grimsby

Grantham, Willoughby's Mill
Grimsby, Victoria Mills
Grimsby, Victoria Mills
Grimsby, Victoria Mills

The 8-storey Victoria Mills was built as a grain store in 1889 and is flanked by buildings of 1906, now converted to flats.

Corporation Bridge is an electrically operated lift bridge built in 1925.

The PS Lincoln Castle was a coal-fired paddle steamer which operated for many years as a Humber ferry between Hull and New Holland.

It was scrapped by its owner in 2010.

Frank Robinson, 2010

Grimsby, paddle steamer, bridge, Alexandra Dock,
Halton Holegate, Windmill
Halton Holegate, Windmill
Halton Holegate, Windmill

Known as Top Mill or Borrill's Mill, this small 4-sailed corn mill (one of two in the village) stood close to the lane leading south from the village centre towards the fen (TF 417 654).

The miller for much of the twentieth century was John Borrill, succeeded by Frank Parker.

Ken Redmore, 1957

Halton Holegate, windmill
Heckington, Windmill
Heckington, Windmill
Heckington, Windmill

Heckington mill is the only 8-sailed windmill in the country. Built in 1830, it gained its 8 sails after major repairs in 1892.

The mill ceased operation in 1946. However, following restoration from the 1980s onwards, it is again in full working order and regularly open to the public.

Frank Robinson, 2011

Heckington, windmill, eight sails,
Heckington, Windmill
Heckington, Windmill
Heckington, Windmill

Heckington Mill had five pairs of stones although only three pairs were operated at any one time.

Undated postcard

Heckington, windmill,
Heighington, Mill
Heighington, Mill
Heighington, Mill
Caption to follow
Heighington, water mill
Heighington, Motor Lorries
Heighington, Motor Lorries
Heighington, Motor Lorries

Some of the earliest motor lorries belonging to the watermill in Heighington.

The man second to the left is Bert Scott.

Heighington, lorry, watermill, Bert Scott
Heighington, The Beck
Heighington, The Beck
Heighington, The Beck

Heighington Beck, west from the High Street to the three-storey watermill.

Mr Frank East lived in the semi-detached brick house on the left, built by his (stone mason) father on the site of his old thatched stone house in spring 1893.

The October Village Feast had been held on the old site as building work could not start in the winter because of the effect of frost on the mortar.

Heighington, Beck, Watermill
Heighington, Watermill
Heighington, Watermill
Heighington, Watermill

Back view of Heighington Mill over its pond.

The water runs under the building. It is now a private residence and the millstream can be viewed inside through a glass panel in the floor.

Heighington, watermill
Holdingham, Watermill Counting House
Holdingham, Watermill Counting House
Holdingham, Watermill Counting House

Holdingham Mill is on the Slea Navigation, two miles north-east of Sleaford.

It was built in the early nineteenth century by Samuel Cropper.

The mill ceased working in the mid-twentieth century.

On the west side of the navigation, clearly visible from the public footpath, is this minute hexagonal building.

It may have served as an office or counting house for the mill.

Mark Acton, 2008

Holdingham, watermill, counting house, Sleaford, Navigation,
Horncastle, Water Mill
Horncastle, Water Mill
Horncastle, Water Mill

Horncastle's water mill was on the Bain where it entered the northern side of the town.

postcard, c.1970

Horncastle, water mill
Ketsby, Watermill
Ketsby, Watermill
Ketsby, Watermill

The privately preserved watermill at Ketsby (TF 369767) was built in 1864.

The breast-shot wheel is one of the last iron water wheels to turn in Lincolnshire.

Ken Redmore, 2003

Ketsby, watermill,
Lincoln, Ellis Windmill
Lincoln, Ellis Windmill
Lincoln, Ellis Windmill

This small mill, built in 1798, has 4 sails and only 3 floors.

During the nineteenth century it was one of 8 mills along a short stretch of Burton Road to the north-west of the city.

The mill suffered a disastrous fire in the early 1970s but was fully restored in 1978-81 by the Lincoln Civic Trust to mark the Queen's Silver Jubilee.

Ken Redmore

Ellis windmill, corn mill, Lincoln, Civic Trust,
Moulton, Windmill
Moulton, Windmill
Moulton, Windmill

At approximately 100 feet high to the cap and with nine floors, Moulton windmill is reputedly the tallest mill in the country.

It was built in 1822 by Robert King and was most recently worked by the Biggadike family from 1924 to 1995.

The mill has now been completely restored to working order and is open to the public.

Ken Redmore 2010

Moulton, windmill, Biggadike,
Moulton, Windmill, Machinery
Moulton, Windmill, Machinery
Moulton, Windmill, Machinery

The windmill at Moulton has been restored to full working order.

This photograph shows, to the right, the great spur wheel and one of the smaller stone nuts.

When these two gears are engaged the vertical shaft through the stone nut rotates one of the millstones below and grain is ground into flour or animal feed.

Moulton, windmill, machinery,
Sibsey, Trader Windmill
Sibsey, Trader Windmill
Sibsey, Trader Windmill

Sibsey Trader Windmill was built in 1877 by Saundersons of Louth and stands 74' 3" from base to the top of the cap. It is one of the few 6 sail mills left in England.

It was earmarked by the Ministry of Works in the 1960s as one of 12 windmills of national importance and was renovated in the 1970s.

It is open to visitors at weekends throughout the year and on Tuesdays from May to September.

Mark Acton, 2017

Sibsey, Trader windmill, Saunderson, Louth
Sleaford, Cogglesford Mill
Sleaford, Cogglesford Mill
Sleaford, Cogglesford Mill

Cogglesford Mill, Sleaford was recently restored to working condition and its breast-shot wheel drives the stones and other machinery from time to time to produce flour.

This photograph shows the ground floor, an open exhibition area with milling tools and equipment.

A series of display boards describe the history of the mill and its millers.

Mark Acton, 2008

Sleaford, Cogglesford Mill, watermill, Sleaford Navigation,
Sleaford, Cogglesford&nbspMill
Sleaford, Cogglesford Mill
Sleaford, Cogglesford Mill

Cogglesford Watermill, on the Slea Navigation is alongside the top lock of the Sleaford Navigation half a mile from Sleaford town centre (TF 074461).

It was probably built in 1771, with a top floor added in the 1830s.

It is open daily from Easter to the end of September and at weekends in the winter.

Mark Acton, 2008

Sleaford, Cogglesford watermill, Sleaford navigation, canal,
Spalding, Lock's Mill
Spalding, Lock's Mill
Spalding, Lock's Mill

Lock's Mill on St Catherine's Island, Spalding.

This smock mill, one of very few built in Lincolnshire, was demolished in 1899.


Undated photograph

Spalding, Lock's Mill, windmill, smock mill, St Catherine's Island,
Waltham, Windmill
Waltham, Windmill
Waltham, Windmill

This six-sailed brick tower mill on the edge of the village (TA 259033) was built in about 1880 by John Saunderson of Louth.

It is approximately 85ft (24m) high and has six storeys.

It was restored to working order and is maintained by the Waltham Windmill Preservation Society.

Frank Robinson, 2010

Waltham, windmill, Saunderson, Louth,
Wrawby, Post Mill
Wrawby, Post Mill
Wrawby, Post Mill

Wrawby Mill (TA 026088) was built in the mid-to late-18th century as an open trestle mill, the roundhouse being added in the early 19th century.

In this form, it continued as a working wind-powered mill until 1940.

It was restored to working order in the 1960s, it is now open to the public on several days each year.

Wrawby Mill is the only surviving postmill in Lincolnshire.

F Robinson, 2010

Wrawby, post mill,