Lincoln, J T B Porter, Advertisement
J T B Porter was an iron founder at Gowts Bridge, Lincoln from 1855 until 1919 when the firm amalgamated with Penney & Co.
Porter was one of the principal gas engineers in the country, boasting over 600 installations by the 1880s.
Several Lincolnshire town gasworks were built or extended by his firm. He also installed gasworks at country houses.
The gasworks illustrated in this advert is at Fell Foot in Cumbria. It was installed by Porter for the Colonel Ridehalgh in 1865.
The house and associated parkland are now owned by the National Trust who are currently (2019) arranging a restoration project which will include the surviving gasholder pits and retort house.
Information about Fell Foot supplied by Kevin Grice of the Lake District National Park Archaeology Volunteer Network.
Lincoln, Porter, gas engineer, founder, Fell Foot, Colonel Ridehalgh