Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Infrastructure - Gas and Electricity
 
Boston, Gas Lamps
Boston, Gas Lamps
Boston, Gas Lamps

Boston’s gasworks was designed by John Rofe and opened in 1826. The works were extended by JTB Porter of Lincoln in 1871.

By 1892 there were 350 gas lamps in the town.

This set of original lamp standards and fittings has been retained in the town’s Market Place.

March 2013

Boston, gas lamps, Market Place, J T B Porter, John Rofe
Branston Hall Gasworks
Branston Hall Gasworks
Branston Hall Gasworks

This photograph, taken about 1980, shows the then surviving buildings of the gasworks which George Bower of St Neots advertised as having built in the 1850s for the Melville family at Branston Hall.

It was later extended, possibly by Porter & Co of Lincoln, and ceased working in the 1920s.

The small building with the ventilators is the retort house; the condenser and purifier stood outside and coal was stored in the building on the left.

Today only the former threshing barn at the rear survives (as a house) together with the pit of one gasholder. 

See: Ken Redmore, Branston Hall Gasworks, Lincolnshire History and Archaeology, 45 (2010), pp 31-33.

Branston, gas, hall, Bower, Porter,
Lincoln, J T B Porter, Advertisement
Lincoln, J T B Porter, Advertisement
Lincoln, J T B Porter, Advertisement

J T B Porter was an iron founder at Gowts Bridge, Lincoln from 1855 until 1919 when the firm amalgamated with Penney & Co.

Porter was one of the principal gas engineers in the country, boasting over 600 installations by the 1880s.

Several Lincolnshire town gasworks were built or extended by his firm. He also installed gasworks at country houses.

It is not known which house is depicted in this advertisement. We would like to hear from anyone who can identify it.

 

Advert, c1875

Lincoln, Porter, gas engineer, founder,
Normanby near Scunthorpe, Electricity Generator
Normanby near Scunthorpe, Electricity Generator
Normanby near Scunthorpe, Electricity Generator

The 'Clock House' in the estate yard at Normanby Hall was fitted out with a steam powered electricity generating plant in c.1900.

This plant provided lighting thoughout the house but not the village.

1907

Normanby Near Scunthorpe, Normanby Hall, electricity generator,
Temple Belwood, Gas Plant
Temple Belwood, Gas Plant
Temple Belwood, Gas Plant

In 1877 J Wooler & Co of Laisterwick Foundry, Bradford, erected a small plant for generating coal gas at this country house.

This plan was submitted along with a detailed quotation for £254.


 

Belton Axholme, gas, Temple Belwood, Wooler, Laisterwick Foundry