Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Settlement - Abbeys and Priories
 
Bardney, Abbey
Bardney, Abbey
Bardney, Abbey

The site of the medieval abbey church looking east. The mounds cover what remains of the bases of the nave piers.

Part of the abbey cloister can be seen on the right.

Frank Robinson, December 2014

Bardney, abbey
Bardney, Abbey plan
Bardney, Abbey plan
Bardney, Abbey plan

Bird's eye view of Bardney Abbey looking from east to west. The Lincoln Gap and the cathedral are seen in the distance.

This speculative drawing by David Vale incorporates information derived from excavations of the abbey and its layout together with general knowledge of English Benedictine monasteries.

 

Bardney, Abbey plan, David Vale
Bardney, Abbey stone 01
Bardney, Abbey stone 01
Bardney, Abbey stone 01

A small waterleaf capital of high quality set on a square jamb block.

Below the main waterleaf it has a lower tier of leaves with a spiral pattern of decoration and drilled centres.

This piece is of early Gothic design and north-French style and as such probable originated in the transepts of the church.

From the display in St Lawrence Church, Bardney, 2013

Bardney, Abbey, stone
Bardney, Abbey stone 02
Bardney, Abbey stone 02
Bardney, Abbey stone 02

A niche head canopy with a miniature vault under an ogee-fronted arch.  The arch is decorated with foliate designs and has a foliate finial.

This engages with an embattled parapet over a cornice studded with miniature fleurons.  The crenellations have miniature merlons pierced with cross loops with drilled ends.

This splendid piece is probably 14th century in date.

From the display in St Lawrence Church, Bardney, 2013

Bardney, Abbey
Bardney, Abbey stone 03
Bardney, Abbey stone 03
Bardney, Abbey stone 03

A square planned abacus from the top of a pier capital with a moulded rim.

This is decorated with a band of small pyramid nailhead pellets over a shallow hollow and lower roll.

Probably from a broad rectangular respond in the aisles of the church the profile is essentially Romanesque in form.

From the display in St Lawrence Church, Bardney, 2013

Bardney, Abbey
Bardney, Abbey stone 04
Bardney, Abbey stone 04
Bardney, Abbey stone 04

A large grotesque corbel head, probably of Romanesque date and from the eaves of the church, it has a well-defined mouth and teeth with the tongue showing in the centre.  At the sides are small ears.

The over-large and exaggerated features indicate it was set at a considerable height.

From the display in St Lawrence Church, Bardney, 2013

Bardney, Abbey stone
Bardney, Abbey stone 05
Bardney, Abbey stone 05
Bardney, Abbey stone 05

A transom bar from a perpendicular window.

This shows two soffit cups with glazing grooves.  The upper face is embattled and also has a well-defined glazing groove.

The glazed light was relatively wide and it seems possible that this was simply one light from a much larger window.

From the display in St Lawrence Church, Bardney, 2013

Bardney, Abbey stone
Bardney, Abbey stone 06
Bardney, Abbey stone 06
Bardney, Abbey stone 06

The apex stone from an acutely pointed lancet arch of 13th century date.

It shows extensive use of claw tooling and probably originated in the blind arcading applied to the lower part of the west front of the church.

From the display in St Lawrence Church, Bardney, 2013

Bardney, Abbey stone
Bardney, Abbey stone 07
Bardney, Abbey stone 07
Bardney, Abbey stone 07

A large leaf decorated capital from a corner position or the side of a respond pier.  Notably it is angled to receive the vault rib it was designed to support.

The broad leaves have a tie across them and the central loop is decorated with a smaller leaf.  The faces of the broad leaves are marked out for cutting facets into them and for some reason this was never done.

The style is north-French and early Gothic.

From the display in St Lawrence Church, Bardney, 2013

Bardney, Abbey stone
Bardney, Abbey stone 08
Bardney, Abbey stone 08
Bardney, Abbey stone 08

Part of the base of a 14th Century screen with major and minor bases for filleted shafts flanked by side fillets and on the minor bases single smaller filleted shafts.

Heavy claw tooling is visible on the tool bed face.

From the display in St Lawrence Church, Bardney, 2013

Bardney, Abbey stone
Bardney, Abbey stone 09
Bardney, Abbey stone 09
Bardney, Abbey stone 09

Stone head from Bardney Abbey

David Miles, 2012

Bardney, Abbey stone
Crowland, Croyland Abbey
Crowland, Croyland Abbey
Crowland, Croyland Abbey

The Benedictine monastery was largely destroyed following the Dissolution.  Still standing are the impressive remains of the nave west front with the present church, Croyland Abbey, being the north aisle.

The church has a huge west window, and a graceful interior with a vaulted roof.

July 2011

Crowland, Croyland Abbey, Benedictine monastery
Kirkstead, Abbey
Kirkstead, Abbey
Kirkstead, Abbey

The Cistercian abbey of Kirkstead was founded in 1139 and moved to its final site in 1187.

All that remains now above ground is this fragment - the south-east angle of the south transept of the church.

Frank Robinson, 2010

Kirkstead, abbey, Cistercian,
Kirkstead, St Leonard
Kirkstead, St Leonard
Kirkstead, St Leonard

The chapel of St Leonard was built in 1230-40 near the gates of Kirkstead Abbey, and is said to be one of the finest examples of 13th century architecture in the county.

The interior has a vaulted roof, high quality carving, and a rare wooden screen that is probably as old as the building.

Frank Robinson, 2010

Kirkstead, St Leonard church chapel, Cistercian abbey,
Kirkstead, St Leonard
Kirkstead, St Leonard
Kirkstead, St Leonard

The interior of the church of St Leonard, Kirkstead, showing the thirteenth century vaulting and the screen.

Frank Robinson, 2010

 

Kirkstead, St Leonard, interior,
Knaith, St Mary
Knaith, St Mary
Knaith, St Mary

St Mary’s Knaith overlooks a bend in the river Trent.

The square building, with walls of the 11th and 14th centuries, is all that remains of the medieval church of Heynings Priory.

Within are a 14th century font, a Jacobean pulpit and pews, and a Victorian canopy over the altar.

May 2008

Knaith, St Mary church, Heynings Priory
Lincoln, Monks Abbey
Lincoln, Monks Abbey
Lincoln, Monks Abbey

This is the unbuttressed chancel of the original 12th century abbey church. The windows seen here on the south side, with their Perpendicular tracery, were renewed c.1400.

April 2016

Churches, Monks Abbey
Lincoln, Monks' Abbey
Lincoln, Monks' Abbey
Lincoln, Monks' Abbey

Monks' Abbey, (correctly entitled the Priory of St Mary Magdalene), on Monks Road, was a cell of St Mary's Abbey, York, a Benedictine foundation.

It was probably built in the mid-twelfth century for a prior and one or two monks who managed the abbey's estates in the area.

The ruined stone structure which remains today is part of the chancel.

Postcard, 1922

Lincoln, Monks' Abbey, St Mary Magdalene,
Stamford, St Leonard Priory
Stamford, St Leonard Priory
Stamford, St Leonard Priory

St Leonards was founded c1100 by the monks of Durham to administer their southern estates.

The west front, seen here, and the north arcade, survive from the original Norman church.

September 2014

Stamford, St Leonard priory
Stamford, St Leonard Priory
Stamford, St Leonard Priory
Stamford, St Leonard Priory

St Leonards was founded c1100 by the monks of Durham to administer their southern estates.

The west front, seen here, and the north arcade, survive from the original Norman church.

On the north side can be seen the sturdy piers and round arches of the Norman north arcade.

There were six bays - the two westernmost being an extension built in the late 12th century.

See other images of this building

September 2014

Stamford, St Leonard priory
Temple Bruer, Knights Templar Church
Temple Bruer, Knights Templar Church
Temple Bruer, Knights Templar Church

Next to a farmyard on the Lincoln Heath stands a tower of the Knights Templar church which was built here in the early 13th century amid their extensive estates.

The church had a circular nave and a chancel flanked by two towers.

The photo shows the N and E faces of the surviving S tower.

Frank Robinson, 2009

Temple Bruer, church, Knights Templar, Lincoln Heath,
Thornton Curtis, Abbey Gatehouse
Thornton Curtis, Abbey Gatehouse
Thornton Curtis, Abbey Gatehouse

The impressive brick and stone barbican and gatehouse of Thornton Abbey were built in the late 14th century.

They are considered by English Heritage to be 'the largest and among the finest in England'.

This is the earliest surviving brick structure in Lincolnshire.


Frank Robinson, 2010

Thornton Curtis, abbey gatehouse, barbican
Tupholme, Abbey
Tupholme, Abbey
Tupholme, Abbey

The Premonstratensian abbey of Tupholme was founded in the 12th century.

Still standing is this 13th century south wall of the refectory, with the windows of the undercroft below.

Built into the wall towards its eastern end is a reader's pulpit.

Frank Robinson, 2010

Tupholme, abbey, premonstatensian, refectory, undercroft,