Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Settlement - Law and Civic
 
Boston, Coat of Arms
Boston, Coat of Arms
Boston, Coat of Arms

Boston Corporation was formed in 1545 and lasted until 31 March 1974.

These arms were granted to the Corporation on 1 December 1568.

The three crowns are thought to refer to the town's medieval links with Cologne, and the woolsack reflects the town's early prosperity based on the wool trade.

Postcard, c1908

Boston, arms, woolsack,
Boston, Guildhall
Boston, Guildhall
Boston, Guildhall

A view of the Banqueting Hall showing the crown-post roof.

The Guildhall, though much altered over the years, has original brickwork and timbers dated to the late fourteenth century.

Frank Robinson, September 2014

Boston, Guildhall banqueting hall
Boston, Sessions House
Boston, Sessions House
Boston, Sessions House

The Sessions House was built between 1841 and 1842 to designs by Charles Kirk who was also responsible for the near identical Sessions House in Spalding (completed in 1843).

The new building accommodated the sittings of the Quarter Sessions and the Kirton and Skirbeck Bench.

It has been subject to very few alterations, most of which have been carried out in the custody and service areas located to the rear of the ground floor.

The Sessions House ceased to be used as a Magistrates Court in 2003.

undated print

Boston, Sessions House, Charles Kirk
Boston, South Square
Boston, South Square
Boston, South Square

Close by the Witham, two of Boston's most notable buildings look over South Square.

At the rear centre is the Guildhall, a fifteenth century brick building, recently restored.

Next to it is Fydell House with classical features, built in 1726 for William Fydell.

On the near left is a Late Georgian warehouse, one of several on this stretch of the river.

Undated photograph
Boston, square, guildhall, fydell,
Folkingham, House of Correction
Folkingham, House of Correction
Folkingham, House of Correction

The House of Correction in Folkingham was built in 1808 to serve the whole of Kesteven.

It was enlarged in 1825 and this grand and suitably severe gatehouse was added – the only part of the building that now survives.

It is now in the care of the Landmark Trust.

Frank Robinson, 2010

Folkingham,
Friskney, Eaudyke Post Office
Friskney, Eaudyke Post Office
Friskney, Eaudyke Post Office

The Eaudyke Post Office was active as a post office and village store from the late nineteenth century until the 1980s.

It is now a private house.

Postcard: c.1930

Friskney, Eaudyke post office
Grantham, Barracks
Grantham, Barracks
Grantham, Barracks

The Barracks in Sandon Road were built in 1858 and 1872. Pevsner described it as ‘castellated and very forbidding’. There is an impressive courtyard inside.

It was built for the 4th Special Battalion, Lincolnshire Regiment.

undated postcard

Grantham, barracks, Sandon Road, Lincolnshire Regiment
Grantham, Guildhall
Grantham, Guildhall
Grantham, Guildhall

This town hall was designed by William Watkins of Lincoln and was opened in 1869. It replaced the former Guildhall which stood on High Street on the southern corner with Guildhall Street.

In front of the Guildhall is the memorial to Sir Isaac Newton which was inaugurated in 1858.

The Guildhall includes the former police cells on the outside of which is a Blue Plaque to WPC Edith Smith the country's first female constable with powers of arrest

postcard by Whipple of Grantham, 1903

Grantham, Guildhall, Edith Smith
Heighington, Village Hall
Heighington, Village Hall
Heighington, Village Hall

Heighington Village Hall was built of corrugated iron in 1898 after fundraising by the Ladies Sewing Circle.

There are orchard trees at the back. The front car park is shared by the 'Butcher & Beast' Pub next door.

This photograph shows it in 1995 after being re-painted by two prisoners from Morton Hall Open Prison, Swinderby, their transport to the site being provided by Village Hall Committee members.

Heighington, village hall, Morton Hall Open Prison
Kirton in Lindsey, Town Hall
Kirton in Lindsey, Town Hall
Kirton in Lindsey, Town Hall

The Town Hall at the east end of the Market Place was built by J K Broughton, a local builder, in 1897.

It was built from the stone of the old Bridewell (prison) of 1791-94.

The public water pump in the foreground is a very modest affair.

postcard from the Wrench Series, 1906

Kirton Lindsey, Town Hall, J K Broughton, Bridewell
Skegness, Police Headquarters
Skegness, Police Headquarters
Skegness, Police Headquarters
The police headquarters in Skegness - the principal one for the east of the county - was built in 1974.
Skegness, police station
Sleaford, Sessions House
Sleaford, Sessions House
Sleaford, Sessions House

Designed by H E Kendall, the Sessions House was built in 1831.

The building is Gothic in style, with a ground floor arcade of open arches facing the Market Place.  It remained in use as a court until 2008.

The building now houses a club and a restaurant.

Undated postcard

Sleaford, Sessions House, H E Kendall, Market Place
Stainton le Vale, Methodist Chapel
Stainton le Vale, Methodist Chapel
Stainton le Vale, Methodist Chapel

The building, now used as the village hall, was originally a Primitive Methodist Chapel.

Pearl Wheatley, 2012

Stainton le Vale, Primitive Methodist Chapel, village hall