Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Settlement - Recreation
 
Arboretum Bandstand
Arboretum Bandstand
Arboretum Bandstand

The nationally celebrated designer Edward Milner was employed at Lincoln to create the Arboretum on Monks Road in 1872.

The bandstand was soon a popular and well used feature of the public park.

It was restored in the 1990s as part of a £2m project undertaken by the City Council.

May 2013

Buildings, Lincoln arboretum, bandstand, Edward Milner
Boston, Old Bath Gardens
Boston, Old Bath Gardens
Boston, Old Bath Gardens
Photograph from 'The Boston Album of Views', c.1900
Boston, Old Bath gardens
Cleethorpes, Pier
Cleethorpes, Pier
Cleethorpes, Pier

The pier at Cleethorpes opened on August Bank Holiday 1873.

The Pavilion shown dates from 1905 and replaced an earlier hall destroyed by fire.

Originally, the pier was 1200 ft (360m) long, but was deliberately breached in WW2 - because of invasion fears - and after the war the seaward section was demolished.

Frank Robinson, 2009

See other images of the pier

Cleethorpes, pier
Cleethorpes, swimming pool
Cleethorpes, swimming pool
Cleethorpes, swimming pool

The Swimming Pool was built when the improvements were made to the sea front in 1884.

undated postcard

Cleethorpes, swimming pool
Freiston, Shore
Freiston, Shore
Freiston, Shore

Freiston Shore, north of Boston, was developed as a sea bathing resort in the late 18th & early 19th centuries.

Later coastal accretion caused a salt marsh to develop bringing the end of the hotel trade.

Freiston Shore contains the remains of fortifications constructed during the Second World War and a former light railway.

Postcard, 1906

Freiston, sea bathing, Freiston Shore
Friskney, duck decoy
Friskney, duck decoy
Friskney, duck decoy

This overgrown pond lies within the Decoy Wood nature reserve, and was once a duck decoy. It is said that in 1866 over a thousand ducks were caught here.

The photo shows what is left of one of the ‘pipes’, down which the birds were enticed and trapped.

See:- www.lincstrust.org.uk/reserves/Friskney-Decoy-Wood

Frank Robinson, January 2014

Friskney, duck decoy
Grimsby, Albert Gardens
Grimsby, Albert Gardens
Grimsby, Albert Gardens

Grimsby Albert Gardens & Prince Consort Memorial commemorate Albert, Queen Victoria's consort, who died in 1861. It is in the East Marsh area of the town close to the docks.

The memorial was unveiled in 1879 and moved to the Dock Offices at the dock entrance in c.1980.

'Jay Em Jay' Series postcard, posted 1904

Grimsby, Albert Gardens, Prince Consort Memorial
Grimsby, People's Park
Grimsby, People's Park
Grimsby, People's Park

People's Park in Grimsby was officially opened in 1883.

The 27 acres of land were a gift to the council from Edward Heneage of Hainton, a prominent landowner, who was influential in the town's development.

Undated postcard

Grimsby, Edward Heneage, People's Park
Grimsby, People's Park
Grimsby, People's Park
Grimsby, People's Park

People's Park in Grimsby was officially opened on 17 August 1883.

The 27 acres of land were a gift to the council from Edward Heneage of Hainton, a prominent landowner, who was influential in the town's development.

Undated postcard

Grimsby, Edward Heneage, People's Park
Ingoldmells, Butlins Holiday Camp
Ingoldmells, Butlins Holiday Camp
Ingoldmells, Butlins Holiday Camp

The Butlin Luxury Holiday Camp opened in 1936 and cost £100,000.

It is sited close to the beach and conveniently alongside the A52 between Skegness and Mablethorpe.

undated postcard

Ingoldmells, Butlins Holiday Camp
Ingoldmells, Butlins Holiday Camp
Ingoldmells, Butlins Holiday Camp
Ingoldmells, Butlins Holiday Camp

The ballroom at Butlin's was an important centre of evening entertainment for the weekly visitors.

undated postcard

Ingoldmells, Butlins Holiday Camp, ballroom
Lincoln, Arboretum
Lincoln, Arboretum
Lincoln, Arboretum

The Arboretum in Lincoln opened in 1872.

The lion statue was the gift of F. J. Clarke, businessman and four-times mayor of Lincoln. It was made from composition stone by Austin and Seeley of London.

undated postcard

Streets, Lincoln Arboretum, F J Clarke, Auston & Seeley, lion statue
Lincoln, South Park
Lincoln, South Park
Lincoln, South Park

This Edwardian postcard depicts South Park with the lower slopes of South Common to the right.

South Common, a site of nature conservation importance, covers an area of 80 hectares between Canwick Road and Cross O'Cliff Hill.

Its southern boundary rises steeply to the limestone edge.

 

Lincoln, South Park, South Common,
Louth, Hubbard's Hills
Louth, Hubbard's Hills
Louth, Hubbard's Hills

This rustic wooden shelter in Hubbard's Hills was one of four given by local Member of Parliament, R W Perks, at a total cost of £100, when the park was first opened in 1907.

Undated postcard

Louth, Hubbard's Hills, R W Perks
Louth, Hubbard's Hills
Louth, Hubbard's Hills
Louth, Hubbard's Hills

Hubbard's Hills is a deep wooded valley to the south-west of the town. It was acquired for the town using a generous bequest from Alphonse Pahud, a language teacher at Louth Grammar School.

card posted 1940s

Louth, Hubbard's Hills, Alphonse Pahud, Louth Grammar School
Louth, Old Railway Line
Louth, Old Railway Line
Louth, Old Railway Line

The east side of Louth had several parks which have been taken into the growing town.  One such was Stewton House Park.

The railway from Boston cut through it so that land to the west of the line was sold off for large houses and gardens and that to the east is mostly housing estate.

The railway has gone but the route is still there and converted to a pleasant tree-lined footpath.

Louth, East Coast Line, Railway, footpath
Louth, Old Railway Line
Louth, Old Railway Line
Louth, Old Railway Line

This information board alongside the footpath to the south-east of the town centre gives details of the former East Lincolnshire Line which passed through Louth.

 

Louth, East Lincolnshire Railway Line, footpath
Skegness, Fairy Dell Fountain
Skegness, Fairy Dell Fountain
Skegness, Fairy Dell Fountain

The Fairy Dell Fountain was part of a large complex of landscape and water features created along the front at Skegness between Grand Parade and the beach.

These attractions included areas for paddling and bathing as well as a boating lake and waterway.

Undated postcard

Skegness, Fairy Dell, Fountain, foreshore, Grand Parade,
Skegness, Pier
Skegness, Pier
Skegness, Pier

Skegness pier was built in 1881 and was the fourth longest in England at 1843ft (562m).

The seaward end of the pier boasted a fine pavilion and concert hall.

Popular steamship pleasure trips across the Wash to Hunstanton on the Norfolk coast operated from a landing stage nearby.

Postcard, 1912

Skegness, pier, steamers,
Skegness, Pier
Skegness, Pier
Skegness, Pier

A severe storm on the night of 11/12 January 1978 destroyed almost half of the pier.

The concert hall was demolished some years later and little now remains of the original structure.

Ken Redmore, 2004

Skegness, pier, storm damage,
Skegness, Pier
Skegness, Pier
Skegness, Pier

The exceptional length of Skegness Pier - over one-third of a mile - can be appreciated in this unusual view of Skegness pier, looking from the pier head towards the land.

Undated postcard

Skegness, pier,
Sutton on Sea, Foreshore Shelters
Sutton on Sea, Foreshore Shelters
Sutton on Sea, Foreshore Shelters

Sutton on Sea (originally Sutton le Marsh) was a popular bathing place, with accommodation for visitors, as early as the eighteenth century.

Despite the large increase in trippers brought by the tramway from Alford and the train via the Willoughby-Mablethorpe loop, Sutton remained relatively quiet.

Shelters, like these modern concrete shells near the sea front, allow visitors to sit quietly and enjoy the sea air.

Sutton On Sea, foreshore shelters