"House. C17, c.1770, mid C19"
White's Directory of Lincolnshire 1856 states :-
"The manor continued in the possession of the Bishops of Carlisle until the reign of Edward VI., when, under the authority of a license from the Crown, it was sold by Bishop Aldrich to Edward Lord Clinton, who, during the time be held it, compounded with the copyhold tenants and enfranchised their estates; but, after Mary bad ascended the throne, he was compelled to re-convey his purchase to the see of Carlisle, to which, after that period, the manor belonged until the death of the late Bishop of Carlisle in 1856, when it was transferred to the Bishop of Lincoln, with the patronage of the church livings within the Soke of Horncastle.
Bishop Aldrich died at Horncastle in March, 1555.
The house where the Bishops of Carlisle occasionally resided was a plain but substantial and extensive building, which was demolished in 1770, when the present Manor House was erected on its site"
DB 18 July 2019