Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Society - Recreation and Sport
 
Belton House, Boathouse
Belton House, Boathouse
Belton House, Boathouse

John Cust, the first Earl Brownlow, commissioned Anthony Salvin to design the boathouse in grounds of Belton House in the 1840s.

It has unusual basket-weave plasterwork and a stone fish scale roof, and was restored by the National Trust in 2008.

This photograph from the Edwardian period shows a family party at the boathouse.

Belton Kesteven, Belton House, boathouse
Belton House, Boathouse
Belton House, Boathouse
Belton House, Boathouse

John Cust, the first Earl Brownlow, commissioned Anthony Salvin to design the boathouse in grounds of Belton House in the 1840s.

It has unusual basket-weave plasterwork and a stone fish scale roof, and was restored by the National Trust in 2008.

DB 8th July 2016.

Belton Kesteven, Belton House, boathouse
Belton House, Boathouse
Belton House, Boathouse
Belton House, Boathouse

Stickwork boathouse located in the wilderness garden. The National Trust is currently seeking funds for its restoration.

DB 23 September 2017 

Belton Kesteven, Belton House, boathouse
Boston, Maud Foster Drain, Cowbridge
Boston, Maud Foster Drain, Cowbridge
Boston, Maud Foster Drain, Cowbridge
An angling competition is depicted alongside the Maud Foster Drain which is about two miles north of Boston town centre in the Edwardian period.

The road on the right-hand bank is the present B1183 to Horncastle; the public house on the extreme right is thought to be the Cowbridge House Inn.

Hundreds of anglers travelled by train from Sheffield and the Midlands for sport in both the Witham and the fenland drains at this time.

Undated postcard
Boston, angling, witham, drain,
Caistor, Brocklesby Hunt Meet
Caistor, Brocklesby Hunt Meet
Caistor, Brocklesby Hunt Meet

The Brocklesby hounds are the oldest private pack of foxhounds in the country. The Hunt dates from around 1700 with complete records of hound breeding from 1746.

The location for this meet is Caistor Market Place.

undated postcard

Caistor, Market Place, Brocklesby Hunt
Grimsby, People's Park
Grimsby, People's Park
Grimsby, People's Park

People's Park in Grimsby was officially opened in 1883.

The 27 acres of land were a gift to the council from Edward Heneage of Hainton, a prominent landowner, who was influential in the town's development.

Undated postcard

Grimsby, Edward Heneage, People's Park
Grimsby, People's Park
Grimsby, People's Park
Grimsby, People's Park

People's Park in Grimsby was officially opened on 17 August 1883.

The 27 acres of land were a gift to the council from Edward Heneage of Hainton, a prominent landowner, who was influential in the town's development.

Undated postcard

Grimsby, Edward Heneage, People's Park
Lissington, cyclist
Lissington, cyclist
Lissington, cyclist

This early twentieth century photograph was taken in Lissington.

card posted 1905

Lissington, cyclist
Mablethorpe, Beach
Mablethorpe, Beach
Mablethorpe, Beach

After World War 1, when cheap surplus army tents were available, a line of bell tents soon sprung up under the sandhills at Mablethorpe and at Sutton.

Ostensibly, these were for bathing purposes, but stringent rules had to be applied to prevent them being used for sleeping accommodation.

See: The Lincolnshire Seaside by Winston Kime  2005

Postcard, 1920 

Mablethorpe, tenets, beach, world war I
Metheringham, Street Scene
Metheringham, Street Scene
Metheringham, Street Scene

Known to locals as ‘Meg’, Metheringham is a large village some 9 miles south of Lincoln.

The Blankney Hunt was founded in 1871 when it split away from the old Burton Foxhounds.

undated postcard

Metheringham, Blankney Hunt
South Rauceby, Hunt Meet
South Rauceby, Hunt Meet
South Rauceby, Hunt Meet

South Rauceby Hall was built in 1842 by William Burn for A. Peacock Willson of the banking family in Tudor Gothic style.

Blankney Hunt, owned by the Chaplin family, covered much North Kesteven.

Undated postcard

South Rauceby, Blankney Hunt meet, Rauceby Hall, William Burn
Woodhall Spa, Golf Course
Woodhall Spa, Golf Course
Woodhall Spa, Golf Course

Woodhall Spa's first 18-hole golf course opened in 1905. It was built on land given by Stafford Hotchkin, a local landowner.

Now named the Hotchkin Course, it is considered one of the finest in the country.

This photograph shows play on the eighteenth green.

Undated Postcard

Woodhall Spa, Golf Course, Stafford Hotchkin,
Woolsthorpe by Belvoir, Kennels
Woolsthorpe by Belvoir, Kennels
Woolsthorpe by Belvoir, Kennels

The Belvoir Foxhounds has been housed at Woolsthorpe since 1809.

They are one of the few remaining packs of Old English Foxhounds in the United Kingdom.

undated postcard

Woolsthorpe by Belvoir, Belvoir foxhounds