Publications

 

 Buying Copies

Volume 50
£8.00 (£11.00 by post UK)

Volumes 45 to 49
£5.00 each (£7.50 by post UK)

Volumes 44 and earlier
(most of which are still available new or second-hand) : £2.00 each (£4.50 by post UK)

Photocopies of articles
Enquiries welcomed, quotations given.


Contact

The Postal Sales Manager
SLHA
Jews’ Court
Steep Hill
Lincoln
LN1 2LS
(tel: 01522 521337)

SLHA Journal
Scholarly articles and records of research and field investigation in Lincolnshire plus book reviews

Lincolnshire History and Archaeology Editor: Dave Start

Lincolnshire History and Archaeology, the journal of the Society, is received by SLHA members as a benefit of membership. Subject to availability, copies may also be purchased (see left).

Copies of articles in the earliest issues can be downloaded from this website as pdfs. We hope to complete this process in 2019. To read an article, click on the thumbnail of the journal in question from the images below. This reveals the list of articles included in that journal - and then click on the title.

Authors are invited to submit completed manuscripts or outlines of appropriate articles for consideration by the Editor. Notes for the Guidance of Contributors and Notes on Illustrations may be downloaded here as pdf files.

The content of each copy of the journal is indicated below:

Click for details --- No. 50 - 2015
No. 50 - 2015
SLHA Journal : Lincolnshire History and Archaeology
No. 50 - 2015

Published 2018

Lincolnshire's Middle Trent Valley: The Building Stock Before Enclosure.
The Case of Manor Farm House, Thorpe-on-the-Hill

David Stocker et al

The Society's building recording group, known as RUBL (Recording and Understanding the Buildings of Lincolnshire) completed their survey and analysis of Manor Farm House, Thorpe on the Hill and published the results in a paper in Vernacular Architecture, Volume 46(2015) pp.40-65. For the benefit of LHA readers, that paper is here reproduced in full, with the permission of the Vernacular Architecture Group.

This contribution originates in the observation that there are a very few standing timber-framed buildings in the county's Middle Trent Valley. The paper is the first from a larger project exploring this absence. It addresses the suggestion that, although there were once similar numbers of vernacular buildings of this type as elsewhere in the north-east Midlands, this part of Lincolnshire was so greatly affected by a great rebuilding following enclosure between c.1750 and c.1850 that virtually all earlier box-framed structures were replaced in brick. Preliminary survey by the group suggests that this may be true, but it also reveals that some members of this earlier generation of box framed buildings may survive disarticulated, as re-used timbers in those enclosure-period farmsteads that replaced them. Consequently, the group has undertaken a detailed analysis of the timbers re-used in the enclosure-period farmhouse at Thorpe on the Hill in order to assess techniques for reconstructing the frames of predecessor buildings.

Following extensive recording work, the outlines of two closely connected predecessor structures have been reconstructed and dated - through techniques including dendrochronology - to the mid-fifteenth and early sixteenth centuries. It is suggested that they were both ranges from the previous Manor Farm House, which occupied the same footprint as that still standing.

Manuring the Land: Baltic Bale Seals and Peruvian Guano Seals from Lincolnshire
Adam Daubney

Over 75,000 objects discovered in Lincolnshire have been reported to the Portable Antiquities Scheme (PAS) since its inception in 1997. This paper draws attention to two types of modern lead seals which provide evidence for manuring practices that are otherwise intermittently mentioned in documentary sources.

The first type of seal emanates from the Baltic and provides further information on the flax and hemp trade in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. The second type emanates from Peru and provides evidence for the import and use of guano as a source of fertiliser Both types of seal are hitherto unrecorded in local museum collections, and are argued here to be a valuable new addition to our understanding of the agricultural and industrial history of rural Lincolnshire.

Nineteenth Century Chalk Quarrying and Lime Burning in the South-Eastern Lincolnshire Wolds
Peter Wynn

The chalk of the Lincolnshire Wolds was a convenient material that could be burnt to provide lime for agricultural or building purposes. During the nineteenth century quarrying and associated lime burning took place at various scales throughout the Wolds.

This article examines the mainly small to medium sized operations in the south eastern Wolds. This was an area well placed to supply lime for agricultural use in the coastal marshes. The opening of the East Lincolnshire Railway in 1848 enabled the industry to exploit a larger customer base.

The term 'lime burner' could refer to different groups of people: the owner of the chalk pits and kilns and the operatives who actually undertook the physical tasks involved in producing the burnt lime. However in the study area both groups tended to have an intermittent and part time involvement with the industry. This leads the author to question the generally held view that by the mid-nineteenth century most lime kilns were of the perpetual' type. Probably as a result of the agricultural depression, the industry in this area declined from the 1870s onwards.

The Double Nave of Caythorpe Church and Marian Devotion
Alister Mutch

This article places the distinctive double-naved medieval church of St Vincent, Caythorpe, South Kesteven, in its architectural and social context. Attention is drawn to the importance of the de Vesci family, the major landowners at the time of construction, in the patronage of reforming religious orders.

Their devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary is related to the Marian iconography that survives at the church. Architectural features, contrasted with other double-naved churches in both England and mainland Europe, suggest aborted plans to make the church part of a religious foundation.

The Holland Causeway and Bridge End Priory: Piety, People and Communications in the Lincolnshire Fenland
Brian Hodgkinson

This paper discusses the history of the Holland Causeway in relation to both its maintenance and its connectivity with the local population within its fenland setting, straddling the border between Holland and Kesteven. Crossing the often flooded landscape between Bridge End and Donington in Holland, the approximately four-mile causeway (forming part of the present A52) featured numerous bridges and culverts, and consequently was difficult  and expensive to maintain.

The financial burden for this ongoing maintenance largely fell onto the inadequate shoulders of Bridge End Priory, the smallest and poorest house of the Gilbertine order. This is an account of the priory's battle to preserve the vital passageway across the local topography that was for all intents a swamp, and to extract enough income from tolls to maintain the roadway and also the monastery itself.

A Reappraisal of Lincoln Tank Production in 1916
Gwyn Evans

Lincoln's fame as the birthplace of the tank during the Great War is well-known, as is the crucial role played by William Foster and Company of the Wellington Foundry. The role played by other Lincoln businesses in the tank story has been less well documented. Newly available archival material relating to Robey and Company reveals that the firm was much more involved in the production of the first order for tanks than has hitherto been realised, even to the extent of building some tanks itself.

This paper details for the first time Robey's place in the production of the early tanks, the reasons why the firm became involved and why this did not continue for later tank production. It also sheds light on the situation at William Foster and Company in 1916. The paper ends by identifying the implications of this new knowledge for the identification of the only remaining Tank Mark I, now preserved at the Tank Museum, Bovington.

Stamford's Brazenose Gateway
N J Sheehan

Dating from the thirteenth century, the Brazenose Gateway in Stamford is one of the town's oldest surviving architectural structures. Reputedly the entrance gate to Brazenose College, and apocryphally associated with the transient university established in the town in 1333 by dissident students and masters from Oxford, the gateway is a Grade I listed structure and a Scheduled Monument. Taking its name from the nose-shaped brass knocker on its wooden door, it was preserved when the medieval college building was pulled down in 1688.

The original knocker was removed to Brasenose College in Oxford in 1890 and was replaced by a replica in 1961. The gateway has been rebuilt several times over the centuries. The original design has been largely retained except for variations in the configuration of the apex of the arch. This article discusses the origins of the gateway and documents changes to it, through a series of images from 1727 to the present.

Holdingham Watermill
Ken Hollamby, Chris Page, Ken Redmore and Jon Sass

Holdingham watermill, standing alongside the Sleaford Navigation, was built in the 1790s and extended in the 1860s. Much of the original wooden gearing was replaced by cast iron in the 1840s and this improved the reliability and performance of the mill. The 1860s development also brought in a steam engine and increased the number of stones.

The mill was then an excellent example of an efficient rural watermill but its profitability was soon undermined by much more efficient steam powered roller mills in Sleaford and elsewhere. Milling at Holdingham continued spasmodically after 1880 and ceased altogether in the 1950s when the building, complete with all the nineteenth-century machinery and fittings, was effectively mothballed.

The Historic Environment in Lincolnshire 2014: Archaeology and Historic Buildings

The notes cover archaeological work and surveys of historic buildings carried out in Lincolnshire largely as a result of development managed by the planning system. The work was carried out between 1 January and 31 December 2014. Most historic environment work carried out in the county is funded by developers and their input is duly acknowledged.

Full reports of this work have been deposited with the appropriate Historic Environment Record where they are available for consultation. A summary list of archaeological work for which the results are either entirely, or substantially, negative will be made available on the SLHA website rather than being published in this journal. Assistance in the preparation of these notes was provided by Alison Williams of the HER in the Places Directorate of North Lincolnshire Council and Hugh Winfield of the HER in the Planning Service of North-East Lincolnshire Council. In addition, the society is publishing here a series of notes, compiled by Susheela Burford with Adam Daubney, on archaeological objects found in Lincolnshire that have been reported to the Portable Antiquities Scheme during 2014.

Book Reviews and Bibliography

Cover Illustration: The Lime Kiln, by John Joseph Barker (1824-1904)


Click for details --- No. 49 - 2014
No. 49 - 2014
SLHA Journal : Lincolnshire History and Archaeology
No. 49 - 2014

Published 2017

A History of Michael Penistan Junior, Agricultural Engineer, Lincoln
Chris Page

This paper discusses the incentives and opportunities for the foundation of Michael Penistan's engineering business. It explores the difficulties that such small firms experienced in acquiring financial capital to enable them to develop ideas and open up new markets.

The paper reviews the type and range of products that his company produced and his marketing strategy. It charts Penistan's move from the grocery business into engineering, initially with success, but growth resulted in heavy financial commitments and this eventually led to disaster and bankruptcy.

Penistan's social commitments are appraised, showing his interest in local politics and the improvement of his city. The circumstances surrounding the collapse of his business are discussed noting the sympathy that was expressed by fellow councillors and business leaders.

This account is set within the backdrop of a rapidly growing city and an expanding economy, but markets were becoming more competitive as the century progressed and Penistan was one of many who suffered a similar fate.

Ludford, Lincolnshire: Small-Scale Investigations of a Roman Roadside Settlement
Richard Bradley, Robin Jackson and Steve Willis

Exploratory work for the purposes of supporting an application for a Higher Level Environmental Stewardship Scheme was carried out by Worcestershire Archaeology in 2012 and 2013 across a field believed to include the site of an Iron Age and Roman roadside settlement close to Ludford, Lincolnshire.

This involved contour mapping, test pitting, geophysical survey and small-scale trial trenching. The potential extents and character of the remains were determined and the level of preservation of deposits under threat from arable cultivation was assessed.

Combined with the existing knowledge of the surrounding archaeology and previous work in the vicinity, the investigations provided important further evidence to support the identification of the site as that of a Romano-British 'small town'.

As a result of the work, an agreement was put in place with the landowner to limit damage through cultivation on deposits at the site for at least ten years.

The Fossdyke Navigation, 1670-1826
R C Wheeler

The Fossdyke is an artificial cut of great antiquity which connects Lincoln to the River Trent. Its early history is known principally from complaints about inadequate depth of water, and this theme recurs persistently up to the 1820s, when the complainants instigated a chancery suit against the lessees of the Fossdyke.

The paper covers the period from the passing of a private act that governed the navigation up to the start of the chancery suit, and seeks to show that the problems of lack of water were by no means the result of neglect but stemmed from the incompatibility between the drainage and navigation functions. This incompatibility was eventually resolved by the provision of a separate system of drainage for the low lands adjoining the Fossdyke. The problems in achieving this were not so much engineering ones as political.

The paper describes the mechanism set up to protect the interests of riparian landowners and its inadequacies. The real power of the landowners lay in their ability to impede necessary developments by opposing a further private act. It was this that caused the lessee of the Fossdyke to break the log-jam by buying out the proprietor who was most strongly opposed to an independent drainage.

By their shrewd deals, the Fossdyke lessees not only secured for themselves a sizeable income; they also fostered a massive increase in trade between central Lincolnshire and the industrial north, a trade which provided the markets for agricultural growth in Lincolnshire and which also provided the flour and malt on which the workers of Lancashire and the West Riding depended.

A Note on 'Wulfwig's Purchase': A Red Herring in Louth's Historiography
Paul Everson and David Stocker

Using the evidence of Domesday Book, this article proposes that — contrary to some modern historians' accounts — the gift of a group of Lindsey estates to bishop Wulfwig of Dorchester-on-Thames (d. 1067) did not include Louth, and did not form the basis of the bishop of Lincoln's major post-Conquest estate there, which had far older origins.

This proposition opens the way for the town at Louth to be considered as a foundation of the tenth-century rather than a later eleventh-century initiative: a proposition that we explore fully elsewhere.

Mowbray and Co Ltd, Brewers of Grantham (1837-1952)
Adam Cartwright

Established in 1828 at their brewery in Grantham, Mowbray's supplied beer, wines and spirits to over 200 pubs across Lincolnshire and surrounding counties for over one hundred years. Mowbray's started as a family business but within twenty years other local businessmen had taken control.

After a period of stagnation the firm was incorporated in 1887 as Mowbray and Co Ltd under the leadership of managing director Arthur Hutchinson. He expanded the new company, buying pubs and taking over competitors, such as Dawber's of Lincoln and Hunt's of Stamford.

The effects of enforced pub closures and conscription in the First World War are discussed and the challenges of the inter-war years explored, including the drive to build new pubs, especially on housing estates.

There is a summary of the many works outings and galas which the company provided. An account of Second World War bomb damage to pubs and the brewery is included and the company's most popular houses are listed by beer volume sales.

In 1952, Mowbray's Brewery was sold to national brewer I W Green, which itself was absorbed by the brewing giant Whitbreads in 1962. The local brewing industry has declined but some of the brewery buildings in Grantham still survive.

A New Perspective on a Roman Phallic Carving from South Kesteven, Lincolnshire
Adam Parker

The Portable Antiquities Scheme recorded a rare discovery of a phallic carving from Braceby and Sapperton, Lincolnshire, in 2008. It is recorded as a phallic carving, depicting an erect penis with testicles below and vagina above'.

In light of comparable evidence both within Britain and the Roman Empire, this short paper argues that it instead depicts a popular apotropaic image in which an erect phallus is physically attacking an image of the Evil Eye.

The imagery depicted, although a well-established 'scene', is a unique interpretation of this type in Roman Britain. Although this carving is unstratified, phallic carvings are often used in liminal places, providing a constant, passive protection without need for additional interaction.

The Finding of the Witham Shield
R C Wheeler

The Witham Shield is a spectacular Iron Age object found in the bed of the River Witham in 1826. It would be useful to know how the find-spot relates to the contemporary landscape, in particular to the places where there is evidence for large-scale ritual deposition.

This paper examines the earliest reports of the finding of the shield to establish the fullest possible account. A fairly precise date is known and this is linked to the chronology of the improvements taking place at the time.

The shield is first recorded in the possession of the surveyor J S Padley, and the paper offers an explanation for how this came about. Most usefully, the shield was described as the property of Humphrey Sibthorp, Rector of Washingborough, and a knowledge of the rectorial land in that parish makes it possible to associate the find with six short lengths of river. One of these lengths is close to the Fiskerton Causeway, a site where two successive excavations have uncovered a rich variety of items that appear to be ritual deposits.

The nature of the shield is such that it could have been carried a short distance by the current; however, the nearest of the identified lengths of river is upstream of the causeway rather than downstream.

Pursuing the Pomerium: The Ritual and Reality of the Sacred Boundary of Lindum Colonia
Antony Lee

The pomerium was the ancient boundary surrounding Rome, believed to have originated as the wall that Remus contemptuously leapt over, only to be slain by his brother Romulus. Distinct from the defensive walls, the pomerium formed an important spiritual threshold in the Roman imagination and had a tangible role to play in the governance and religious rites of the city.

Roman authors such as Dionysius of Halicarnassus tell us that towns across Rome's provinces were also imbued with such sacred boundaries at their foundation, and the Coloniae are likely to have been among them. It took the form of the ploughing of a ritual furrow, the sulcus primigenius, positioned where the town walls would subsequently be constructed.

Archaeological evidence for this practice is scant; hardly surprising considering the faint impact left by a plough furrow and its self-destructive relationship with the walls. Nevertheless, artistic, numismatic, epigraphic and literary evidence exists to suggest that such ritual boundaries were perceived to exist and affected the daily lives of the residents of provincial Coloniae.

The existence of the pomerium at Lincoln has been presumed in some earlier studies, but the practicalities of its creation and the impact it may have had on the religious life of the established town have not previously been explored. This paper attempts to demonstrate that the creation of the sulcus primigenius is compatible with our understanding of the foundation of the Colonia and the construction of its defences.

Evidence for the original extent of the pomerium and the issue of whether the pomerium was enlarged when the lower enclosure was completed are discussed.

Women Munition Workers in Lincoln during the First World War
Ann Yeates-Langley

During the period 2014 to 2018 the SLHA are publishing various articles and books describing the county's involvement in the First World War and its impact on Lincolnshire people. The role of women in the munitions factories of the county is a significant aspect of this study.

By 1914 Lincoln, Grantham, Gainsborough and Stamford were important engineering centres and during the war produced a great many munitions including aircraft and, most famously, played a major role in the development of the tank. Large numbers of women were employed in the munitions factories to take the place of men who had joined the armed forces. Now, a century later, none of these women are alive.

In the early 1990s Ann Yeates-Langley (then Ann Wright) carried out research (for her M.Ed. with Nottingham University) during the course of which she interviewed a number of elderly women who had worked in munitions factories in Lincoln.

One outcome of this research was an article recording those interviews published in 1997 in the former journal East Midland Historian (EMH), Volume 7. In view of the important contribution that women munitions workers made to Lincoln's involvement in the First World War, and the lack of women's voices in history, Ann's article is re-published here with the permission of the last editor of the former EMH.

The Historic Environment in Lincolnshire 2013: Archaeology and Historic Buildings

Cover illustration: Roman Canal, Lincolnshire - water colour painting of the Fossdyke by Peter de Wint (1784-1849)

Click for details --- No. 48 - 2013
No. 48 - 2013
SLHA Journal : Lincolnshire History and Archaeology
No. 48 - 2013

Published 2016

Jean-Jacques Rousseau in Spalding, May 1767
Michael Honeybone and Diana Honeybone

Margaret Skipwith of South Ormsby - A Lincolnshire Mistress of Henry VIII
Elizabeth Norton

Archaeological Investigations along the route of the A1073, Spalding-Eye Improvement Scheme
Andy Failes and Mark Peachey

Diary of an Epidemic: Scotter 1890
Moira Eminson

An Oath of Allegiance to King George III, 1781-1804
Albert J Schmidt

Allegiance to King George III: loyalism, property and taxes in the lives of south Lincolnshire countrymen, 1781-1804
Albert J Schmidt

Four Whetstones from Roman Fiskerton: a Wealden (Surrey/West Sussex) product in Lincolnshire
J R L Allen

The Historic Environment in Lincolnshire 2012: Archaeology and Historic Buildings

Industrial Archaeology Notes

* Donington on Bain Station - The Second Platform - Stewart Squires

* Sutton Bridge Dock - Ken Redmore

 

Cover illustration: Horkstow Roman mosaic - engraving by William Fowler of Winterton, 1799

Click for details --- No. 47 - 2012
No. 47 - 2012
SLHA Journal : Lincolnshire History and Archaeology
No. 47 - 2012

Published 2015

Thoughts on the Roman Bridge at Lincoln
Michael Lewis

Country House Tramways:
Belton House, Harlaxton Manor and Stoke Rochford Hall
Stewart Squires

Soulby Sons & Winch Ltd
Adam Cartwright

Skegness, Mablethorpe and Cleethorpes:
Contrasts of Land Ownership and Investment in the Development of Seaside Resorts
Ruth Neller

The Rise of Clayton and Shuttleworth
Rob Wheeler

Industrial Archaeology Notes

* Wragby Railway Goods Yard - Sleaford U3A Group

* Gunby Hall Water Supply - Rob Wheeler

* Horncastle Navigation: Poling Holes - Ken Redmore

* Withcall Farm Water Supply - Eric Newton

Click for details --- No. 46 - 2011
No. 46 - 2011
SLHA Journal : Lincolnshire History and Archaeology
No. 46 - 2011

Published 2014

Tealby, the Taifali, and the end of Roman Lincolnshire
Thomas Green

Skegness: a History of Railway Excursions
Ruth Neller

John Stokeld: Life and Works
Michael Czajkowski

Lincoln, Sewerage and the Government Inspectors
Beryl George

Industrial Archaeology Notes:

* Remains of FIDO at RAF Metheringham
   Ken Redmore

* Former Water Mill at 1 Lincoln Road, Branston
   Stewart Squires

* Steppingstone Bridge, Spalding
   Stewart Squires

* Woodhall Junction Urinal
   Stewart Squires

The Historic Environment in Lincolnshire 2010:
Archaeology and Historic Buildings

Click for details --- No. 45 - 2010
No. 45 - 2010
SLHA Journal : Lincolnshire History and Archaeology
No. 45 - 2010

Published 2012


Archaeological Excavations on Land to the East of Cartergate, Grimsby
Michael Rowe

Rainforths of Lincoln
Adam Cartwright

Reminiscences of the Open Road: Tricycling to London with Joseph Fowler
John Hardy

The Greetwell Ironstone Mines
Stewart Squires

Updated References on Paper Mills in Lincolnshire, 1600 to 2010
Daven Chamberlain


Industrial Archaeology Notes:

  • Branston Hall Gasworks
    Ken Redmore
  • Water Supply at Grange Farm, Langton-by-Spilsby
    Chris Lester and Ken Redmore
  • Castle Bytham Lime Kiln
    Stewart Squires
  • A Wheelwright's Tyre Oven at Horncastle
    Chris Lester and Ken Redmore

 

Click for details --- No. 44 - 2009
No. 44 - 2009
SLHA Journal : Lincolnshire History and Archaeology
No. 44 - 2009

Published 2011


Caistor Canal

Christopher Padley

Previously published accounts of the funding, construction, operation and demise of this canal are incomplete and contain inaccuracies. This article, based on primary sources, aims to remedy these deficiencies and present a comprehensive history of the canal.

The canal, completed in c1794, attempted to link Caistor, an important market and administrative centre, with the river Ancholme and thence to the Humber and east coast and Yorkshire trading centres. However, for financial reasons, the canal terminated at Moortown, some three miles (and over 100 feet in elevation) short of Caistor. It closed in c1860. Some of the stone-built locks survive in surprisingly complete condition.


Lincolnshire Tickets, Checks and Passes of the Nineteenth and Twentieth Century
John T Turner
Full-sized images of some 80 items (mostly small circular discs; some of metal, some of plastic) from Lincolnshire firms, inns, transport, police and farms, with brief explanatory notes.


Lawyering and Politics in Lincolnshire: the Smith-Heathcote Connection, 1760s to 1850s
Albert Schmidt
This paper examines Benjamin Smith’s law firm founded in Horbling, near Sleaford, in 1760 and considers the political implications of one of its client relationships, that with the affluent Heathcote family of Normanton (Rutland) and Folkingham. Here is an good local example of the political role played by country attorneys in that watershed century, 1750 to 1850.


Grand Deviations: The Course of the River Witham in Boston
Neil R Wright
Both historic and cartographic evidence are used to identify the course of the Witham between Anton's Gowt and the centre of Boston before the re-alignment of the river in 1764-66.
Download corrected copies of maps here.


Industrial Archaeology Notes

  • Canwick Hall Sewage Treatment Plant – Alan Singleton
    A gallery of additional illustrations can be viewed
  • Evedon Siding and the Slea Navigation – Stewart Squires


The Historic Environment in Lincolnshire 2008: archaeology and historic buildings
Edited by Mark Bennet
Notes on archaeological work at 63 sites and surveys of 24 historic buildings mainly carried out between 1 April 2008 and 31 December 2008. Also included are notes, compiled by Adam Daubney, on 28 archaeological objects that were reported to the Portable Antiquities Scheme during 2008.

Notes of site investigations in Lincolnshire during 2008 with largely negative results are appended here (listed alphabetically by parish).
(Download HEL-2007-2008-Negative-Interventions.pdf - 25KB)


Book Reviews
Reviews of 25 books and a list of a further 69 books to do with Lincolnshire history, archaeology, places and people, published in 2009.

 

Click for details --- No. 43 - 2008
No. 43 - 2008
SLHA Journal : Lincolnshire History and Archaeology
No. 43 - 2008

Published 2010


Little Sturton Rediscovered: Part 2: Sturton Old Hall and its owners
Paul Everson, Beryl Lott and David Stocker


The Lincolnshire Gentry House in Transition. The Architectural Context of Little Sturton Old Hall

Beryl Lott


St Swithin's Church, Baumber and the Burial of the Dukes of Newcastle-under-Lyne

Paul Everson and David Stocker


The Historic Environment in Lincolnshire 2007 to 2008

Edited by Mark Bennet
Notes on archaeological work and surveys of historic buildings mainly carried out between 1 April 2007 and 31 March 2008 at approximately 125 sites. Also included are notes, compiled by Adam Daubney, on 22 archaeological objects that were reported to the Portable Antiquities Scheme during 2007.

Notes of site investigations in Lincolnshire during 2007/08 with largely negative results are appended here (listed alphabetically by parish).
Download: HEL-2007-2008-Negative-Interventions.pdf -35KB


Book Reviews

Reviews of 5 books and a list of a further 77 books to do with Lincolnshire history, archaeology, places and people, published in 2008.

 

Click for details --- No. 42 - 2007
No. 42 - 2007
SLHA Journal : Lincolnshire History and Archaeology
No. 42 - 2007
Flora Murray, 1913-2009, Obituary
Miss Flora Murray's interests and activities were extensive, ranging from civic societies and the Women's Institute, to music, art and architectural societies in the county. She was closely involved with the forerunner societies which eventually became SLHA in 1974. Her outstanding and selfless work was recognised in the award of the OBE in 1972.

Alan Vince, 1952-2009, Obituary
Alan Vince, as a young archaeologist in London, produced pioneering work on the classification of Anglo-Saxon and medieval pottery. He joined the Lincoln Archaeological Unit in 1988 and played a key role in an important series of excavations. As editor of Internet Archaeology, an on-line journal, Alan demonstrated his particular expertise in ICT applications.

Sir Joseph Banks and the Draining of the East, West and Wildmore Fens, 1773 to 1801
R C Wheeler

Thomas Oldham Esq of Saltfleetby: Typical Farmer, Aspiring Gentleman or Plain Eccentric?
Christopher Smith

Keeping the Flame Burning: The Revival of the Spalding Gentlemen's Society from 1889 to 1911
Chris Renn

The Ancestry of Baroness Thatcher
Edward J Davies

A Treasure Beneath our Feet: The Fields of Belton in Axholme
Terry Fulton

Industrial Archaeology Notes
  • The Walesby Shaft
    Stewart Squires

Archaeology in Lincolnshire 2006-2007
Edited by Mark Bennet
Notes on archaeological work and surveys of historic buildings mainly carried out between 1 April 2006 and 31 March 2007 at approximately 150 sites. Also included are notes, compiled by Adam Daubney, on 31 archaeological objects that were reported to the Portable Antiquities Scheme during 2006.
Notes of site investigations (pdf document 36.6KB) in Lincolnshire during 2006/07 with largely negative results are appended here (listed alphabetically by parish).

Book Reviews
Reviews of 22 books and a list of a further 105 books to do with Lincolnshire history, archaeology, places and people, published in 2007.
Click for details --- No. 41 - 2006
No. 41 - 2006
SLHA Journal : Lincolnshire History and Archaeology
No. 41 - 2006
Jim Johnston, died 2007, Obituary
Dr Jim Johnston was one of the Society’s and Lincolnshire’s most eminent historians, best remembered for his pioneering work on probate inventories and his role as Vice-Principal of Bishop Grosseteste College.

Pregion’s Progress: The Life and Times of a Lincolnshire Yeoman Family, 1570 to 1753
Joan and Dennis Mills
This study of the Pregion family of Canwick traces its fortunes from the first mention in 1570 to the death of Robert II, the last resident male, in 1724 and on through the female line to 1753. The family developed considerable farming assets in Canwick and Branston, and this wealth ensured that the daughters of Robert II married well, demonstrating how far up the social scale it was possible to travel from yeoman beginnings. This substantial article draws on a succession of probate inventories and various parish records.

Possible Roman Roads from Caistor and a Possible Fort at Cleethorpes
Richard Oliver
The author proposes a Roman route from Caistor to Cleethorpes using as evidence existing roads, trackways and boundaries over a substantial part of the route. The existence of this road supports the theory that a Roman fort existed at Cleethorpes to defend the Humber estuary. A second road is proposed from a point east of Caistor to Healing thence across the Humber to the Yorkshire coast.

An Iron Age Site at South Witham Quarry, Lincolnshire
Kate Nicholson and other contributors
This is a detailed account of two periods of excavation (2002 and 2004) at a site between Thistleton and South Witham which yielded extensive evidence of activity during the Iron Age and first-century AD. Some of the finds suggest structured or votive deposits which could contribute to an understanding of the beliefs and concerns of the population.

A List of the Aldermen of Medieval Stamford with some light thrown on the dating clauses of medieval property deeds
Alan Rogers
Lists of aldermen from 1337 to 1500 are given together with their sources and explanatory notes. The principal source in the early years is property deeds, and the dates quoted therein contain potential errors. Latterly the sources become more reliable.

Industrial Archaeology Notes
  • Blacksmith’s and Saddler’s Shop, Market Place, Wragby
    Stewart Squires
    A report on a building originating in the late eighteenth century containing a forge and wheelwright’s hooping plate.
  • First World War Searchlight Position, Lincoln
    Mike Osborne
    A description of a searchlight base associated with an anti-aircraft gun known to have been in the vicinity.
  • Wragby Station Building
    David Raines and the Sleaford U3A
    A report of a survey prior to the remodelling of the interior.

Archaeology in Lincolnshire 2005-2006
Edited by Mark Bennet
Notes on archaeological work mainly carried out between 1 April 2005 and 31 March 2006 at approximately 140 sites together with the location of the detailed reports and an additional list of a further 100 sites where little or nothing was found.

Book Reviews
Reviews of 21 books and a list of a further 100 books to do with Lincolnshire history, archaeology, places and people.

Click for details --- No. 40 - 2005
No. 40 - 2005
SLHA Journal : Lincolnshire History and Archaeology
No. 40 - 2005
Little Sturton Rediscovered: Part 1 : The Grange of Kirkstead Abbey
Paul Everson and David Stocker
Sir Frank Stenton suggested that Kirkstead Abbey was first located at Great Sturton prior to a move a few miles along the north bank of the river Witham. There are several strong pointers in the original documents used by Stenton which infer that the early site was probably in Tattershall rather than Sturton. Close examination of several documentary sources and the local topography lend support to the view that Little Sturton in Baumber parish was in fact the site for a grange attached to Kirkstead Abbey.

New Sources Illuminate Lincolnshire Naturalist
Trevor Kerry
Revd Francis Linley Blathwayt (1875-1953) served in Lincolnshire churches until 1919 (later Dorset) and was an outstanding naturalist with a national reputation. A number of documents and other information - listed here - are available to provide detail about his life and work.
(Trevor Kerry has recently published an account of Blathwayt's life entitled: 'Of Roseates and Rectories')

Funerary Activity and Boundary Demarcation in the Lincolnshire Landscape
Nicola Toop and Andrew Copp
A recent archaeological watching brief and evaluation programme, during the construction of a gas pipeline between Silk Willoughby, near Sleaford, Lincolnshire, and Staythorpe Power Station, Newark, Nottinghamshire, encountered remains of all periods, from prehistory to the present day. Some of the most significant finds were represented by late Neolithic to Bronze Age burial monuments, and Iron Age pit alignments, encountered at the sites of Doddington Littlegate, Frieston Road, Normanton Heath, South Rauceby and Quarrington. It is suggested that both forms of monument would have served to demarcate territory and claim land.

The Rich of Bassingham, Lincolnshire: 1655-1799
J A Johnston
Five parish documents listing land and property ownership are used to identify the more affluent members of Bassingham (11 miles south-west of Lincoln) over a period of a century and a half. By reference to other parish records the characteristics of these families (e.g. mobility, kinship, multiple landownership) are identified and discussed.
(Dr Jim Johnston, eminent Lincolnshire local historian and lecturer in history at Bishop Grosseteste University College, Lincoln, died in 2007.)

Worlaby and the Witching Shoe: Two Thousand Years of Archaeology in a North Lincolnshire Village
Will Munford
A small excavation linked to housing development revealed a substantial Iron Age ditch, Anglo-Saxon pottery and the remains of medieval domestic properties.

Stagnation and Progress: Contradictions in the Inter-War English Village. Binbrook, Lincolnshire, 1918-1939
Charles Rawding
The countryside of Eastern England during the inter-war period has been chacterised as being in economic decline with dwindling populations. However, as this study of Binbrook in the Lincolnshire Wolds reveals, this was only part of a more complex story where modernisation and change were taking place simultaneously with decline and stagnation.

Jeffrey May, 1936-2006, Obituary
Jeffrey May was one of the pre-eminent prehistorians of Lincolnshire, having worked on its archaeology for some 45 years. Among his many publications was the first volume, Prehistoric Lincolnshire, in the SLHA History of Lincolnshire series.

Industrial Archaeology Notes

  • Burgh Le Marsh Windmill: Its Early History
    Catherine Wilson
    A detailed examination of the various sources of information about the original construction and later refitting of this fine 5-sailed mill in the nineteenth century.
  • Thorganby Hall Waterwheel:
    Jon A Sass
    This small structure, a short distance from Thorganby Hall, houses a breastshot waterwheel which once ground corn but in the first half of the twentieth century powered an electrical generator serving the house and farm buildings.

Archaeology in Lincolnshire: 2004-2005
Site by site notes of work that has taken place at about 80 locations, largely as a result of development controlled by the planning system. (There are also notes of about 60 sites where a watching brief was carried out but results were substantially negative.) Full reports of the work have been deposited with the appropriate Historic Environment Record or Sites and Monuments Record, where they are available for consultation.

Book Reviews
Detailed reviews of 34 books and listing of 113 other newly issued books to do with Lincolnshire history, archaeology, places and people.
Click for details --- No. 39 - 2004
No. 39 - 2004
SLHA Journal : Lincolnshire History and Archaeology
No. 39 - 2004
J S Padley as an Antiquary
R C Wheeler
James Sandby Padley (1792-1881), was born at Mablethorpe and began work as a surveyor with the Ordnance Survey in Lincolnshire in 1819. Circumstances led to his becoming, in effect, Lincoln’s principal surveyor from 1825 until his death. Padley soon became a collector of topographical papers (e.g. articles from Archaeologia) and antiquities (Roman amphorae, pottery and sword). He also showed his skill as an artist in a variety of commissions, and his drawings of the Witham Shield and Newport Arch are noteworthy. From the 1840s he completed accomplished sketches of a number of old buildings in the county. In later life his business success appears to have limited the time Padley devoted to his antiquarian interests.

Archaeological Discoveries on the Silk Willoughby to Staythorpe Gas Pipeline
Nicola Toop

The main archaeological findings – briefly reported - associated with this pipeline construction were as follows:
  • Silk Willoughby: four linear features of Roman date;third to fourth-century pottery;medieval plough furrows and enclosure ditch
  • Silk Willoughby: Roman road (Mareham Lane); Bronze Age pottery; Roman burial with pottery
  • North Field: hearth in sub-rectangular pit (undated)
  • Quarrington: Anglo-Saxon cemetery; Bronze Age pits with cremated bone
  • South Rauceby: late Neolithic burial platform; third-century Roman pottery
  • Waterwell Lane: Roman linear features; third to fourth-century sherds
  • Normanton Hill: Linear feature (undated)
  • Normanton Hill: ten pits of late Iron Age
  • Normanton, Grange Farm: linear features; medieval brick
  • Normanton, Lakeside Farm: first to second century AD field system and emclosure; domestic pottery, including Nene valley ware
  • Hough Lodge: medieval furrows
  • Freiston Road: early Bronze Age ring ditch; aligned pits with Bronze Age/Iron Age sherds and hammerstone; Anglo-Saxon grubenhaus with post holes, pottery and bones
  • Sand Beck: linear features and ditches (undated)
  • Doddington Littlegate: Bronze Age cemetery
  • Clensley Lane: Roman pottery; linear feature
  • Doddington Bridge: domestic settlement of first to second century AD
  • Holmes Lane: Linear features and pits; Iron Age pottery
  • Bennington Fen, Fen Farm: Linear features; Roman pottery
  • Bennington Fen, Willow Tree Farm: Linear features (undated)

An Early Anglo-Saxon Cemetery at Quarrington, near Sleaford: Report on Excavations, 2000-2001
Tania M Dickinson
The early Anglo-Saxon cemeteries in the Kesteven part of Lincolnshire form two distinctive distribution patterns: a north-south line along, or just to the west of, the former Roman towns of Lincoln and Ancaster, of which the best known is an outlier near its southern tip, a large mixed-rite site at Loveden Hill; and a cluster in the south-east, of which the best known are Ruskington and Sleaford, essentially inhumation cemeteries but with a handful of cremations each. This paper reports on the excavation of a small inhumation burial site just 2.5 km west-south-west of the Sleaford cemetery in the parish of Quarrington. A detailed illustrated catalogue of graves and grave goods forms a large part of the report; relevant references to both specific field work reports and general texts are included.

The Smith Firm’s Partners and their Times: A Postscript
Albert J Schmidt
An article by the author about B Smith and Company, solicitors of Donington and Horbling, was published in Lincolnshire History and Archaeology 37 (2002). Smith’s was a rural firm of solicitors which practised in south Lincolnshire without a break for almost 250 years and an extremely large and comprehensive range of business papers and personal records have survived. This follow up article gives details of the firm’s activities from 1854 to 1959 and is illustrated by portraits of principal members of the firm from this period.

Industrial Archaeology Notes
  • Site of a Woad Mill in Tattershall Road, Boston
    Neil Wright

    Details of the various elements of this site are extracted from surveys of the area undertaken prior to development by railway companies. Other information is extracted from trade directories and census returns. The mill was demolished in the early 1850s.
  • Horkstow Bridge: The Chain Anchorages
    Chris Lester

    Access to the chambers surrounding the anchorages revealed the housing of the anchor plates. There are explanatory drawings and photographs.
  • Railway Footbridges, South Common, Lincoln
    David Raines

    A brief note of the former GNR footbridges on the edge of Lincoln’s South Common, with photograph and drawings.
  • Tathwell Lake and Water Supply
    Chris Lester & Ken Redmore

    This artificial lake supplied water via a ram pump to at least two farms in the village. A photograph and drawings accompany the account.
  • Dogdyke Pumping Station, near Tattershall
    David Raines
    A brief description of this mid-nineteenth century pumping station, with drawings and photograph of scoop wheel.
  • King’s Mill, Stamford
    David Raines

    This watermill alongside the Welland close to the town centre has medieval origins. A brief note with photograph and drawings.

Archaeology in Lincolnshire: 2003-2004
Site by site notes of work that has taken place at over 160 locations, largely as a result of development controlled by the planning system. (There are also notes of about 110 sites where a watching brief was carried out.) Full reports of the work have been deposited with the appropriate Historic Environment Record or Sites and Monuments Record, where they are available for consultation.

Book Reviews
Detailed reviews of 8 books and listing of 83 other newly issued books to do with Lincolnshire history, archaeology, places and people.

Click for details --- No. 38 - 2003
No. 38 - 2003
SLHA Journal : Lincolnshire History and Archaeology
No. 38 - 2003
Hall Farm, Baston, Lincolnshire: Investigation of a Late Saxon Village and Medieval Manorial Complex
Gary Taylor
A lengthy illustrated report on two years of excavation and geophysical survey at a 200m x 200m site south of the church in Baston (TF114138). Saxo-Norman material from the ninth to mid-twelfth century includes pottery; post-holes of a timber structure; animal bones; iron smithy. Medieval deposits form the mid-twelfth to mid-fourteenth century contain: iron industrial residues; stone walls; pottery; tiles; animal and fish bones; hearths and ovens; grain pits. The nature of the settlements and the significance of the various finds are discussed in detail.

Traiectus/Tric/Skegness: A Domesday Name Explained
Arthur Owen and Richard Coates
Linguistic and documentary evidence is marshalled to support the name Tric for a settlement at or near Skegness, the probable crossing point for a ferry to Norfolk in Roman times.

Tuxford and Sons of Boston - a Family Business
Neil R Wright
Tuxford and Sons, an engineering firm that rose to international standing, operated in Boston from the 1840s to 1880s. This article looks at the firm’s origins and development, with particular reference to the contribution of the various family members and the succession of sites in the town occupied by the firm.

Archaeology in Lincolnshire: 2002-2003
Site by site notes of work that has taken place at over 180 locations, largely as a result of development controlled by the planning system. Full reports of the work have been deposited with the appropriate Historic Environment Record or Sites and Monuments Record, where they are available for consultation.

Industrial Archaeology Notes
  • Claxby Ironstone Mine
    Stewart Squires
    Follow-up article to correct previous interpretation of surface workings relating to the railway siding, main mine entrance and surface tramway.
  • RAF North Coates Missile Site
    John T Turner
    An outline of the history of the site and note of remaining structures - control buildings for Type 82 and 87 radar arrays; launch control block and pads for Bristol Bloodhound missiles.
  • Whitehaven Farm, Horncastle
    Catherine Wilson and Ken Redmore
    Description and drawings of farm buildings and house for a 50-acre smallholding built c1922. Construction is in situ concrete.

Book Reviews
Detailed reviews of 17 books and listing of 115 other newly issued books to do with Lincolnshire history, archaeology, places and people.
Click for details --- No. 36 - 2001
No. 36 - 2001
SLHA Journal : Lincolnshire History and Archaeology
No. 36 - 2001
Click for details --- No. 35 - 2000
No. 35 - 2000
SLHA Journal : Lincolnshire History and Archaeology
No. 35 - 2000
Click for details --- No. 34 - 1999
No. 34 - 1999
SLHA Journal : Lincolnshire History and Archaeology
No. 34 - 1999
  1. ‘A Very Goodly House Longging to Sutton …’: A Reconstruction of ‘John of Gaunt’s Palace’, Lincoln
    David A Stocker

  2. Moulton Mill
    J A Sass

  3. George Frederick Devaliant MC: The Story of a Soldier
    Rosalind Boyce

  4. Political Assassination in Lincoln? The Strange Death of Coningsby Sibthorp
    Michael Trott

  5. The Peacock Family Archive: An Interpretive Survey
    Eileen Elder

  6. Claxby Ironstone Mine, Lincolnshire
    Stewart Squires and Rex Russell 
Click for details --- No. 32 - 1997
No. 32 - 1997
SLHA Journal : Lincolnshire History and Archaeology
No. 32 - 1997
  1. From Farming to Food: Forty Years of Lincolnshire History
    Joan Thirsk

  2. 'A Most Ingenious Authoress': Frances Brooks (1724-1789) and her Lincolnshire Connections
    Wendy J Atkin

  3. ‘Also a Soldier …’: Evidence for a Mithraeum in Lincoln?
    David A Stocker

  4. Lawyer Professionalism in Rural England: Changes in Routines and Rewards in the Early Nineteenth Centur
    Albert J Schmidt

  5. More about Claribel
    Martin Loft

  6. Louth before Domesday
    A E B Owen

  7. Industrial Archaeology Notes
    (a) Tattershall: Bridge over the Witham
    (b) Bracebridge Heath: St John's Hospital Water Tower
    (c) Stenigot: Ace High Communication Station, RAF Stenigot

  8. Archaeology in Lincolnshire
    Naomi Field and Ian George

Click for details --- No. 29 - 1994
No. 29 - 1994
SLHA Journal : Lincolnshire History and Archaeology
No. 29 - 1994
  1. Terence Leach: Obituary
     
  2. Professor Herbert Hallam: Obituary
     
  3. Hereward 'the Wake' and the Barony of Bourne: A Reassessment of a Fenland Legend
    David Roffe
     
  4. Edward Pawlett of Grantham: A Provincial Bookseller 1660-1687
    John B Manterfield
     
  5. The Smith-Kelham-Langdale Nexus: Country Attorneys, Family Connections, and London Business in the Early Nineteenth Century
    Albert J Schmidt
     
  6. The Diary of the Reverend John Robinson
    Douglas Boyce
     
  7. Turner's Lincolnshire Connections: Prospects, Progeny and Politics
    Selby Whittingham

  8. Archaeology in Lincolnshire
    N Field and I George

Click for details --- No. 28 - 1993
No. 28 - 1993
SLHA Journal : Lincolnshire History and Archaeology
No. 28 - 1993
  1. Excavation of Two Pits of an Alignment at Moor Lane, Long Bennington, Lincolnshire
    Kate Fearn

  2. Prehistoric and Anglo-Saxon Remains at Nettleton Top, Nettleton
    Naomi Field and Kevin Leahy

  3. Beyond the Sea Bank: Sheep on the Huttoft Outmarsh in the Early Thirteenth Century
    A E B Owen

  4. Mrs Lloyd's Recollections of Tennyson in the 1830s
    Christopher Sturman

  5. The Peacocks of North-West Lincolnshire: Collectors and Recorders of Lincolnshire Dialect from c1850 to 1920
    Eileen Elder

  6. Binbrook in 1910: The Use of the Finance (1909-1910) Act Records
    Charles Rawding and Brian Short
Click for details --- No. 27 - 1992
No. 27 - 1992
SLHA Journal : Lincolnshire History and Archaeology
No. 27 - 1992
  1. Bronze Age and Early Iron Age Pottery from Pits at Barnetby Wold Farm
    Peter Didsbury and Ken Steedman

  2. The South Bail Gates of Lincoln
    Christopher Johnson and Alan Vince

  3. Lincolnshire and the East Midlands: A Historian's Perspective
    J V Beckett

  4. Social Change in the Eighteenth Century: The Evidence in Wills from Six Lincolnshire Parishes
    J A Johnston

  5. The Tennyson d'Eyncourt Nicknames
    J Murray

  6. Castle Carlton: The Origins of a Medieval 'New Town'
    A E B Owen

  7. Industrial Archaeology Notes
    (a) Lincoln: Cross o'Cliff Brickworks

Click for details --- No. 26 - 1991
No. 26 - 1991
SLHA Journal : Lincolnshire History and Archaeology
No. 26 - 1991

  1. Professor Maurice Barley: Obituary

  2. Michael Lloyd: Obituary
     
  3. 1771 and 1791: A Study in Population Mobility
    Ruth Tinley and Dennis Mills
     
  4. Working-Class Pleasure Excursions to and from Lincoln, 1846 to 1914
    Eleanor Nannestad
     
  5. Lady Franklin in Lincolnshire, 1835
    Christopher Sturman
     
  6. Mr Walkington's Verses to my Lord Cranbourne
    Joan Williams
     
  7. New Evidence for a Romano-British Greyware Pottery Industry in the Trent Valley
    F N Field and C P H Palmer-Brown
     
  8. Survey of the Roman Fort and Multi-Period Settlement Complex at Kirmington on the Lincolnshire Wolds: A Non-Destructive Approach
    Dilwyn Jones & J B Whitwell

  9. Archaeology in Lincolnshire and South Humberside, 1990
    Naomi Field
Click for details --- No. 25 - 1990
No. 25 - 1990
SLHA Journal : Lincolnshire History and Archaeology
No. 25 - 1990
Click for details --- No. 17 - 1982
No. 17 - 1982
SLHA Journal : Lincolnshire History and Archaeology
No. 17 - 1982
Click for details --- No. 16 - 1981
No. 16 - 1981
SLHA Journal : Lincolnshire History and Archaeology
No. 16 - 1981
  1. The Excavations of a Prehistoric Saltern at Hogsthorpe, Lincolnshire
    Betty Kirkham

  2. A Lincolnshire Coroner's Roll
    C M Woolgar

  3. The Moated Site, Churches and Hedgerow Study at Wragby, 1979f
    A J White

  4. Notes on a Neglected Source: A Register of Royal Writs in Lincoln Diocesan Archives
    A K McHardy

  5. Stalllingborough: Earthwork Survey
    Paul Everson

  6. Prayer, Property and Provocation: The Religious in Medieval Lincolnshire
    Sandra Raban

  7. Sir Joseph Banks: The Cryptic Georgian
    H B Carter

  8. Industrial Archaeology Notes
    (a) Bourne: Baldock's Watermill
    (b) Branston: Barn, Corn Mill and Gasworks
    (c) Waddingham: Brandy Wharf Bridge 
Click for details --- No. 15 - 1980
No. 15 - 1980
SLHA Journal : Lincolnshire History and Archaeology
No. 15 - 1980
  1. Roman Coin Hoards from Lincolnshire
    R W Higginbottom

  2. Thomas 'Governor' Pownall and the Roman Villa at Glentworth, Lincolnshire
    Paul Everson

  3. Herefrith of Louth, Saint and Bishop: A Problem of Identities
    A E B Owen

  4. The Work of the Heckington Lodge of Masons, 1315-1345
    W D Wilson

  5. A Fifteenth-Century Headmaster's Library
    Charles Garton

  6. A Charity School Movement? The Lincolnshire Evidence
    D H Webster

  7. Navigations and the Mid-Lincolnshire Economy, 1790-1830
    R Acton

  8. Industrial Archaeology Notes
    (a) Grantham: Dysart Road Railway Bridge
    (b) Grimsby: Dock Towers and Hydraulic Installations
    (c) Lincoln: Motherby Hill Street Furniture
    (d) Messingham: Mill
Click for details --- No. 14 - 1979
No. 14 - 1979
SLHA Journal : Lincolnshire History and Archaeology
No. 14 - 1979
Click for details --- No. 13 - 1978
No. 13 - 1978
SLHA Journal : Lincolnshire History and Archaeology
No. 13 - 1978
  1. Risby Warren, An Occupation Site from the Mesolithic to the Early Bronze Age
    D N Riley

  2. Billingborough Bronze Age Settlement: An Interim Note
    Peter Chowne

  3. Excavations at the Church of SS Peter and Paul, Healing, South Humberside
    Hal Bishop

  4. Some Little-Known Ladies of Lincolnshire, 1603-1640
    Helena Hajzyk

  5. Boston's Early Stuart Elections. 1604-1640
    John K Gruenfelder

  6. The 'Roman Bridge' at Scawby
    M J T Lewis and J R Samuels

  7. From Canon Foster to the Lincolnshire Archives Office
    Sir Francis Hill

  8. Industrial Archaeology Notes, 1977
    Compiled by Catherine M Wilson

    (a) Aubourn: Watermill
    (b) Barton on Humber: Humber Mill (windmill)
    (c) East Lincolnshire Railway: Crossing Keepers' Cottages
    (d) Grantham: Belton Lane Road Bridge
    (e) Grantham: St Catherine's Road Bridge
    (f) Long Sutton: Sneath's Mill (windmill)
    (g) Tattershall: Bridge over the Witham
    (h) Brigg: Sergeant's Brewery

  9. Archaeology in Lincolnshire and South Humbersdide, 1977
    compiled by Andrew White

  10. Notes and Documents
    A Second Jewish Scola in Lincoln
    C P C Johnson

Click for details --- No. 12 - 1977
No. 12 - 1977
SLHA Journal : Lincolnshire History and Archaeology
No. 12 - 1977
  1. A Romano-British Pottery Kiln at Claxby, Lincolnshire : Excavation, Discussion and Experimental Firings
    Geoffrey F Bryant

  2. Alexander's Frieze on Lincoln Minster
    E C Fernie

  3. Cherry Lane, Barrow-on-Humber, South Humberside
    John Samuels

  4. Some Economic Dealings of Prior John the Almoner of Spalding, 1253-74
    E D Jones

  5. The Oddfellows Hall, Grimsby, and its Place in the Social Life of the Town
    T H Storey

  6. The Parish and the Housing of the Working Class in Lindsey, 1790-1850
    J A Perkins

  7. Industrial Archaeology Notes. 1976
    compiled by Catherine M Wilson
        (a) Algarkirk: Woad Mill
        (b) Barton on Humber: Clapson's Boatyard
        (c) Boston: Lincoln's Warehouse
        (d) Elkesley: Water Pumping Station
        (e) Grantham: Bjorlow Leather Works
        (f) Grantham: Coles Cranes Factory
        (g) Grimsby: Hewitt's Maltings
        (h) Lincoln: Fison's Factory
        (i) Lincoln: Stamp End Lock Footbridge
        (j) Roxby: Horse Gin

        (k) Waddington: Lincoln Brick Company

   8. Archaeology in Lincolnshire and South Humberside, 1976
       compiled by A J White

   9. Book Notes and Reviews, 1976

Click for details --- No. 10 - 1975
No. 10 - 1975
SLHA Journal : Lincolnshire History and Archaeology
No. 10 - 1975
Click for details --- No. 4 - 1969
No. 4 - 1969
SLHA Journal : Lincolnshire History and Archaeology
No. 4 - 1969
  1. Kesteven Headstones and their Engravers
    David Neave and Vanessa Heron
     
  2. John Lyly and Lincolnshire
    Anne Lancashire
     
  3. The Cecil Family and the Development of Nineteenth Cntury Stamford
    Stuart Elliott
     
  4. Parliamentary Electors in Lincolnshire in the Fifteenth Century (continued)
    Alan Rogers
     
  5. Excavations at Somerby, Lincolnshire, 1957
    Dennis C Mynard
     
  6. The Deserted Medieval Village of Snarford, Lincolnshire
    Stanley E West

  7. Archaeological Notes 1968
    J B Whitwell & C M Wilson

  8. Notes & Documents
    * Advice to Lord Willoughby, c.1601 (letter from John Guevara)
    * How to Choose Good Soldiers (from the commonplace book of the Heneages of Hainton, mid-17th century)
    * Cleethorpes 1886-1888 (notes by the Revd Herbert Randolph)

  9. Book Notes

 

Click for details --- No. 2 - 1967
No. 2 - 1967
SLHA Journal : Lincolnshire History and Archaeology
No. 2 - 1967
Click for details --- No. 1 - 1966
No. 1 - 1966
SLHA Journal : Lincolnshire History and Archaeology
No. 1 - 1966